It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Holly_WA HB User
mold allergies

My 5yo son has some allergies. He was tested a couple of months ago. He is allergic to milk/eggs(which the Dr thinks its an old allergy), cats/dogs,mold, feathers.
If he is allergic to mold---should I eliminate mold form his diet? "The mold family" has foods that have mold in them. Has anyone heard of this or done this?

Holly

Last edited by Holly_WA; 02-05-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: mold allergies

I'm not a doctor, but this seems a little unusual to me, for a young kid to be allergic to so many things.

Children's immune systems develop over the years, and learn to adapt to the environment. Their immune systems don't always know the proper response to a given substance, such as dust or certain foods. It's almost like a learning processs.

Did your son grow up in a super clean environment? Was he sheltered from dirt and mud? Was he allowed to play in a sandbox?

Many children with allergies grew up in immaculate houses. Their immune systems never learned how to develop correctly, because they were never exposed to certain things.

Talk to your doctor about this, before going crazy trying to shield your son from thousands of allergens.

Another question... did your son get the initial skin ***** test only? Or did he also get the blood test to determine his allergies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 04:54 AM   #3
(male)

flickfire HB User

If your son is truly allergic to molds, then these are some of foods he should stay away from: cheeses, hard and soft, smoked or cured meats( like ham, turkey, sausage, etc.) products with vingear in them, jams and jellies, condiments (like ketchup, mustards, pickles, mayonaise, salad dressings), and foods that have been canned for a long time.
I've recently found out that I'm mold-allergic too, and these are some of the foods that my allergist recommended that I stay away from. It's difficult, but if you want your son to feel better, he may have avoid these foods. Maybe his allergist can give you a list of what he should avoid, and I think the lost poster might be right, when your sons' immune system gets stronger, he can build up a tolerance to these of these foods as he grows older, but in the meantime, he should probably stay away from them.
I hope this helps you!

Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

I myself have an allergy to mold (and most of the stuff that goes with it!), summers spent in my parents basement were horrible, even in some classrooms at school I was sick from it. Eventually, I've gotten more and more accustomed to moldy foods, though. (I suppose it could come from living in France, where people are much less worried with clean foods, the cheeses are virtually all moldy to some degree).

Depending on how allergic he is, it could actually be to his benefit to not try to hide from everything he's allergic to.. if he's okay eating cheeses with very little mold content (nothing visible, I'm not suggesting to go out and buy blue cheese or anything ), perhaps he'll build up a resistance naturally.. I'm quite thankful than I was able to.

Like chiggins said here, if children are *too* sheltered, they don't have the time to develop any resistance (I had the same problem, my parents were quite worried about me as a child, therefore I never really got resistance to some common things..)

good luck.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm allergic to mold and I have no problems with cheese. In the summer when mold is high though, I feel a little sick if I eat mushrooms. Food cross reactions with airborne allergans is a tricky thing. Some doctors don't feel it is an issue at all. Others say you should avoid "moldy" foods at all costs. And some say cross reactions are only an issue during mold season. This seems to be my experience since I eat mushrooms fine the rest of the year.

If your son has a mold allergy, the most important thing you can do IMHO is put a HEPA filter in his bedroom and a high quality 3M or Dupont filter in you furnace.

Closed Thread