It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

jenanoelle HB User
Question Allergy Treatment Options: The Shot?

If anyone's got any experience with allergy shits, especially with cats, I'd love to hear about it, I'm looking into other options.. shots, the drops you put under your tongue.. anything to avoid popping daily pills and taking high doses of asthma medication..

here's my story:

With the welcoming of 2 new kittens into my home, I have developed some allergies and now a bit of asthma. I was prescribed some run of the mill allergy pills and an asthma inhaler (the ones that you're got to take daily.), and the inhaler's making me sick! Vertigo and everything. And apparently it's not a good idea to take albuterol daily. Getting rid of the cats isn't an option for me, since I love them dearly (and whenever I go to the in-law's house or my parents home, I am once again in contact with cats ) I have other allergies, but they're less severe (mold, probably pollen, dust mites, etc.)

So, all in all:

Does anyone have any allergy shot/drop experiences to share? (were they good/bad/did they work/was it painful, etc)

Does anyone know of any other options for me? I'm at the point of just feeling sick every day.. runny noise, can't taste anything, just feel.. not so great.

Thx

Old 02-07-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Allergy Treatment Options: The Shot?

Allergy shots work great for me, but they take about 3-4 months to start working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

time doesn't matter as much as results do for me

do you have to continue taking them.. for months/years/ever?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It took almost 8 months for me to notice a difference, but it was well worth it. Did you have problems with the cats at your relatives before you got your own? I ask b/c if you didn't, it might be that your cats are tracking in more outdoor allergans into your house before they go outside. Also they increase the presence of dustmites everywhere they sit and nap. I'm not allergic to cats, but I've been told if I get one to still not let it sleep in my room because of the dustmite issue.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User

Shots worked for me with hayfever .I suffered a miserable childhood with severe hayfever.My mother kept me doped up on allergy medication which turned me into a complete zombie.When I was 20 years old and was on my own I took shots for a couple of months till I overdosed on one the shots and never returned.Since then however I have never been bothered by hayfever again and I am 41 years old ! Just a few months of shots and I was free from hayfever the rest of my life.What a blessing !

Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

I've always had *some* problems with cats.. although in the past, I've usually simply gotten used to it.. (not that life was great, but I was a kid, always out and about, etc etc.) So, now that I spend more time at home, and since I was in a household without cats for so long, I figure that either I notice it more, or my body's rebelling.

The kittens that I've got now are short/medium hair type, and they don't go outside, period (I've got an apartment, and they're still young, so I don't want to risk them running off just yet )

At mu parent's house, they had *persians*.. plus whenever I go to visit, I live in the basement.. so there's fur (lots and lots and lots), mold, dust, mildew, all that stuff.. plus no openable windows to get all that stuff out! I figured that I wasn't there more than a few months a year, so I wouldn't worry.. but now, since I've got my own, and pretty much whichever house I stay at has a cat or dozen, I should deal with this, since it's also started to give me some asthmatic symptoms (specifically at night, or after activity or temp. changes, if that helps..)

Does anyone have experience with the oral drops? I'm not *too* keen on the idea of shots (who is?!), but I figure It's worth it if it helps me feel better, it's just been awful lately, always feeling sick and rotten..

Old 02-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I took allergy shots for 4 years. I am allergic to trees, some grasses, animal dander, (dogs and cats) and ragweed. After retesting, I found that they helped me with the ragweed and trees somewhat, but nothing for my animals. I have two dogs. I don't care for cats and wouldn't you know it - I'm more allergic to dogs!! I have allergies and mild asthma. However, I don't really ever feel any reaction to my dogs. Maybe I have gotten used to it? I stopped taking the shots since I didn't feel like I got the results I expected. If you're into alternative medicine, there is a procedure where they use accupressure to immunize your body to what you're allergic to. I can't seem to remember the name. You would have to find a natural doctor or chiropractor to perform it. I have considered it and still may do it. It's not covered by insurance, though, so I would have to save up. If you are interested, I will try to remember the name and give you more information. Also, some nasal sprays now are good for pet allergy. I think Zyrtec is one.
Cindy
Oh, with the natural method, they say you can expect quick results where the shots take months or years.

Last edited by Howitt44; 02-09-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #8
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

interesting idea.. I never really thought of accupressure for immunization.. I've tried bunches of nasal sprays, and they do work well, for limited amounts of time, but I tend to get rather dry after using them.. (perhaps my nose simply isn't used to being able to breathe!), and I've been putting off going to a chiropractor for *years*.. maybe this is a good occasion to check it out.. (my back's horrible, the only way I can get relief for it is to have someone "crack" it for me..).

For me, I think the most important thing to get rid of is the asthma that's come along with this allergy, the medicine I'm supposed to be taking for it is horrible on me, I've gotten vertigo, lightheaded, and I can't even watch things on tv that move.. in a certain way (a good example of this is the game Halo, just the way things move can make me feel horrible and have to lay down.) I really hope someday I can get rid of that completely.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

You just might check out the chiropractor. Supposedly, they are able to treat allergies and asthma. I go to one occasionally, and I do feel better after a treatment. He explained to me that when you are out of alignment, your whole body suffers. There can be restricted flow to your lungs because of pinched nerves, etc. Since you have back problems anyway it wouldn't hurt to go and ask him. I had to laugh when you mentioned the game HALO, my son play that all the time and it makes my husband dizzy when he plays with him. Good luck!
Cindy

Old 02-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #10

EWF HB User

Hi - I do the "under the tongue" drops. They've worked wonders for me. I love them! I've had no side effects and, of course, take them at home. I used to have such severe allergies that I used to wear a mask at all times when outdoors.

The only problem I'm having right now is that my allergist changed my serum ingredients last month and I'm having a major relapse this week. But hopefully, once they go back to the way it was before, I'll be back on my feet again.

Last edited by EWF; 02-12-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

with the drops, is there a chance of not having to take them and being cured? I so badly want to simply be cured and never have to think of this again.. (but honestly, I love the idea of not having 1. To go to the doctors every week or few, and 2. Not having SHOTS!)

(and what allergies are you taking them for? I've heard they work wonders for hayfever and perhaps mold, but not as well for animal dander and food allergies..)

Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #12

EWF HB User

A few weeks ago, my allergy nurse happened to mention the issue of allergies being "cured". She told me that allergies can't be cured, but can often be successfully controlled. Often people will do shots or drops for a few years and then be able to get off of them for a few years...and then keep repeating the cycle. I'm not sure, though, what your odds are of never having to resume treatment again.

I'm taking the drops for every allergy imaginable. I've found that they haven't helped at all for my cat allergy. But they've been wonderful for easing my tree pollen, grass and ragweed allergies.

Have you spoken with an allergist about all of this? From what I understand, some allergists don't do drops; although, I think they've been catching on in recent years.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:48 AM   #13
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

I haven't spoken to one about this yet, I'd like to get all my info down first, seeing as doctors, especially the ones I've had recently, have been horrible with listening, and great at getting you in and getting you out with a prescription for something, anything that won't really fit my needs.

If it helps, though, I'm currently in Europe, and they tend to be a bit more open with stuff like allergy drops and such, for some reason.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #14
(female)

bigdogmom48 HB User

I had allergy shots when I was in my 20's because of severe allergies. When I moved away from my allergy DR. & I stopped taking the injections, my allergies slowly got worse again. Now I have been getting 5 injections a month for 25 years. They have helped tremendously. I will not stop getting them because of what happened the last time I stopped getting them. I have had no experience with cats, but I do get the "dog" injection and it does help. I have heard that there are sprays that make the cats less prone to causing allergies in their people. You can get it at the pet store.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

you know, I've heard about that before.. a spray or a wipe that you just go over them with every few days or so.. I think I'll have to try that, I mean.. what've I got to lose, right?

I worry that it's not good for the cats, though.. like those frontguard drops to kill fleas, they sometimes end up doing lots more harm than good..

Closed Thread