It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
(male)

Ambush347 HB User
Oh man...I think I might have hives...

It's been almost a month now, and I'm getting really worried.

About 5 weeks ago I was in Mexico, had diarrhea for about a day, then next few days had a cold. Don't know if this has anything to do with my hives but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Didn't think much about it but a few days after I got back home it hit. I remember like it was yesterday, it was around 4am and I woke up due to extreme itching all over my feet and legs and I was like . But I was like meh it's proly nothing so I forced myself back to sleep. Anyway the next day I wake up and no trace of anything, I go to take a shower and bam they hit again in full force all over my legs and feet and I was like "Ah crap!" and I was clawing at my skin and couldn't even finish the shower cuz I was itching so bad. Again though it went away but that night my legs start itching again and not only that but then my hands and wrists began itching! I kept thinking this was nothing, proly just some sort of systemic attack that'll pass or wtvr, the following night though I couldn't even fall asleep cuz now they were all over my body...oh man it was like the worst itch ever, I had to go up and wake up my mom to ask her for some cream cuz it was unbearable. The next day my dad woke me up to play hockey but I told him I couldn't go cuz my hands and feet still had welts all over.

This continued for a while, mostly just localized breakouts wherever a lot of the time when waking up or after taking a shower, but strangely sometimes I'd take a shower and have nothing on me. Fortunately enough in the last two weeks I've had breakouts they haven't been itchy or hardly itchy anymore, not like the horror I experienced when this first started. I looked up my symtoms online and I read up about chronic hives and almost passed out when I read people could have them for years. I guess in a sense I'm lucky since I've read other threads about chronic hives were people really suffer all the time.

I did weights the other day and didn't have any breakouts, karate as well and still the same thing, haven't got them through exercise. I know I'm not allergic to anything, never have been. Haven't gotten anything new in the house or started eating any new foods that could be attributed to this. I do have some fungus on my feet though but I've had that for years and it's never bothered me, except for one time when my toes were itchy as hell but that only lasted for about 2 days, so unless my fungus somehow mutated and ripped through my feet and into my system I don't know if it could be this.

So today I end up going to see a doctor and tell him all about it and I didn't have any outbreaks when I was in the office and all he did was basically tell me to take an over the counter anti-histamine for a month and also not to take showers too hot. I worriedly asked him what if this is chronic hives and he looked at me and said "that could be a possibility" and then just went back to writing wtvr. So basically the appt was useless, the doc didn't seem to care much. Now I'm gonna see an allergist but the soonest opening is in 6 weeks...and I doubt that'll help anything. Proly should see a dermo as well.

I've analyzed everything to see if there's a pattern to the outbreaks but I can't pinpoint anything, I mean it doesn't make sense that I can do weights and get nothing and just be walking and get an outbreak all over my body.

Totally confused...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

Ambush347 HB User
Re: Oh man...I think I might have hives...

Update: Ok since posting this I haven't had too many major breakouts...most of the time it'll just be a few hives on a specific area. Fortunately they NEVER itch now, basically they just look hella ugly when their around but don't really cause me any discomfort in any other way.

I noticed that taking cooler showers has helped as I don't get outbreaks like I did with my nice hot showers, still I miss my hot showers! Also I try not to put any pressure on a certain body part for too long cuz I tend to get hives like that. For example I like to sleep with my arm under my pillow, but if I do that I'll always wake up with hives all over it.

Anyway for anyone who has beat this, do they just one day go away and never return or do you notice that they decrease little by little till they are gone?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

HAIRDOER HB User

Ambush, my advise is to read the long thread on this board called severe chronic urticaria. There you will find many answers to your questions. I have had urticaria/ hives for over three years now. No cure. Most likely no one cause. The Dr.s are clueless. Each person is a little different. I get delayed pressure hives, and angioedema. Along with the general hives all over my body for no reason. I am going to a dermatologist every two weeks now and am on a immunosuppresant that is so strong and dangerous that I have to get blood work done every two weeks. I have tried 18 different meds. Predisone is the only thing that gives me complete relief but no one can be on it very long. And the rebound when coming off it is awful. I have done 8 rounds of that now. Steroids can cause many different side effects that are bad too. Chronic hives can be long term......like I have heard of people having it 10-20 years. If you are lucky.....yours will go away all by its self. I had them in high school for about 6 months then intermitantly for 15 years. Now I wake up with a new batch every day. One drug that helped alot was sulfasalizine but it did not take the pressure hives to I am trying a new drug now called Neoral. I also take three other drugs every day too. The Dr. ( dermatologist ) says I am a hard case and it may take a while to get mine under control. I am trying to be patient and keep my hopes up. I hate getting blood drawn and don't enjoy sitting in the Dr. office so often. We have to watch my kidney function and blood pressure, and liver too. This medicine also increases my chances of getting cancer among other things but at this point...........I'll try anything.
I really hope you don't have hives long term and they do go away very soon. I hate explaining my hives to people and get the usual responses from people all the time. I try not to let anyone know how bad they can get. Hard to hide when it is on my face though. I also get them internally. Throat swelling is no fun either.
I go to a dermatologist instead of a allergist because I don't believe it has anything to do with allergies. It makes no difference what I eat, touch or breath . Some people get hives from things like excersize, water, heat, cold, pressure. And yes, I have been tested for everything under the sun.
Good luck to you in your search for answers!

Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
(male)

Ambush347 HB User

Yeah I've been reading up on that thread, it's scaring me a lot though.

Wow that really is a tough case. The thing that I really hate is that I don't wanna have to fill up my body with drugs. I too don't believe it's got anything to do with allergies since I've never been allergic to anything in my life and still eat pretty much anything so no way it's triggered by that. I think I might have some sort of pressure hives too cuz like I mentioned above if I sleep on my arm or wtvr it'll be all blotched up but strangely when I sleep on my back nothing blotches up, it's kinda weird...I guess I've been lucky enough that they haven't appeared on my face yet.

Btw are yours still as itchy as when you first had them? Also is there some sort of dermatologists that specialize in chronic hives and maybe somewhere someone is trying to figure out how to cure this?

Closed Thread