It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User
Mold and Fatigue

Hi... can mold and seasonal allergies cause fatigue? I'm not talking about mold growing inside an older house. I live in a brand new house, so it's not coming from my house. (And we can control the humidity level in it.) But molds are high in general in the city where I live, as well as other seasonal allergies.

Some days I am so exhausted I can hardly get out of bed and I walk around like a zombie all day. I'm usually a very motivated and ambitious person, but on these days I have a hard time exercising (zero motivation) or eating right. I just want to lay around and sleep.

I don't have bad congestion or itching, watery eyes, etc. which are the usual allergy symptoms. When I search around the Internet, hardly any website mentions fatigue.

If anyone has successfully dealt with this kind of allergy and can relate to the symtoms, I'd appreciate hearing from you!

--CarrieLynn

Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: Mold and Fatigue

Lord, yes. A lot of us with allergies live with full time fatigue. I guess it's because the immune system is always at war against the allergens. Mold is a good possibility but for folks with multiple allergies any number of things can be a factor.

Be sure to get vitamin C three times a day and drink plenty of water. Dehydration can also cause fatigue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader1
Lord, yes. A lot of us with allergies live with full time fatigue. I guess it's because the immune system is always at war against the allergens. Mold is a good possibility but for folks with multiple allergies any number of things can be a factor.

Be sure to get vitamin C three times a day and drink plenty of water. Dehydration can also cause fatigue.
Thank you for validating my symptoms!

So is there no other hope but Vit C 3 times a day and plenty of water?

--CarrieLynn

Old 02-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

tc12346 HB User
Smile Re: Mold and Fatigue

I'm allergic to mold and was feeling wicked achey. I also had headaches/migraines, asthma, dry skin, did I say achey muscles, and more. I found a site that talked about candida. Never heard of it before and I am 48 years old. It listed many things that can happen if candida gets out of control. I had practically all of the symptoms. I tried the anti-candida diet and I swear it has helped cure me. I used to wake up so freaking tired like I just did aerobics. I couldn't sleep cause my freaking headaches were so bad. I am now pain free and want to spread the word about this.

{REMOVED}

pain free without drugs...can you believe it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-22-2005 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Don't post commerical website addresses.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes, Yes yes allergies can definately cause fatigue. I would recommned getting dupont or 3M high efficiency furnace filters and a HEPA air purifier for your bedroom. Even in a brand new house, mold can get in from the outside.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran

reader1 HB User

THe addition of a HEPA filter is a good idea. You can get allergy shots for molds, but limiting exposure is the best bet.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
(female)

bigdogmom48 HB User

There are a lot of things in a new house that could also be causing problems. The paint on the walls & stains on woodwork or floors outgas a lot of chemicals including formaldehyde (known cancer causing agent in animals). If you have new carpeting, the stain guard and adhesives used are also full of nasty chemicals that cause allergies. If the house was built of that wood chip and glue stuff instead of plywood, the glue is loaded with bad stuff. I know it used to have formaldehyde in it, but that may have changed in the last few years. Kitchen & bath cabinets also may be made of particle board rather than solid wood. Same scenario. Your best bet is to open the windows when ever you can. If you are in a cold region you may have to suffer until spring when you can open your house to let the toxins out.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom48
There are a lot of things in a new house that could also be causing problems. The paint on the walls & stains on woodwork or floors outgas a lot of chemicals including formaldehyde (known cancer causing agent in animals). If you have new carpeting, the stain guard and adhesives used are also full of nasty chemicals that cause allergies. If the house was built of that wood chip and glue stuff instead of plywood, the glue is loaded with bad stuff. I know it used to have formaldehyde in it, but that may have changed in the last few years. Kitchen & bath cabinets also may be made of particle board rather than solid wood. Same scenario. Your best bet is to open the windows when ever you can. If you are in a cold region you may have to suffer until spring when you can open your house to let the toxins out.
Thanks for everyone's comments! I appreciate it.

We used a lot of pure materials -- all wood and natural kind of stuff, but we did install some carpeting upstairs to cut down on the noise level. The carpet smell lasted about a month and I kept the windows opened constantly during that time (allergens weren't high). So I don't think we're still dealing with that problem, but you never know.

My builder assures us that we've got the top-of-the-line filters -- even better than the ones recommended on this site. I emailed him your suggestions and he said using those filters would not work as well with our systems. I have to go with my builder here because he's known as a national expert in this sort of thing, gives presentations on mold prevention, is aware of the latest technology, etc. He hates mold with a passion, is obsessive about cutting down humidity in the house to avoid promoting mold, etc. etc.

All I know is that my fatigue comes and goes at random... some days I'm fine and some days I'm not. This was happening before I moved into the house, though, so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the house. It may just be what's in the air and since I'm outside a lot I'm affected by it.

Oh well... the mystery continues. Thanks again everyone!

--CarrieLynn

Old 02-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
(female)

hobogirl HB User

One thing that my builder told us, was to NOT use the exhaust fans in our bathrooms while taking baths or showers. We were told that the exhaust fans were for smell only. If you use them to take the moisture out of the air all it will do is cause the vent work to become full of mold. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

I went to see a naturopath yesterday about remedies for the fatigue I've been experiencing and she said she thinks it's more due to adrenal exhaustion than allergies. I don't have any of the classic allergy symptoms. She thinks that the seasonal allergies tax my adrenals even more and that's why I'm exhausted.

So I'm on some adrenal support supplements now. We'll see if this helps.

Does anyone have experience with this?

--CarrieLynn

Old 02-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

See my post on ozone machines above. This is becoming a cutting edge health tool. We just bought one, and feeling the results already. Pricey though, and you have to make sure you get the "right" one.

carole

[ please do not post commercial websites - use brand names only ]

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Closed Thread