It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

kjohnson1228 HB User
sticky, stringy stuff in eyes

Has anyone had problems with allergic conjunctivitis? I'm assuming that this is what is wrong with my eyes. When I wake in the morning, I can't open my eyes they are so sticky. I also wake several times a night b/c my eyes hurt, I have to blindly find my contact solution I keep by the bed to wet my eyes, then they'll open. After that I have to go to a mirror, and pick out this sticky, stringy stuff from inside my eyelids. Throughout the day, I'll have to clean out my eyes b/c these strings of gunk will just float across my eyes. Does that sound like anything any of you have had?

Also, is it normal to not have coughing with Post nasal drip? I have had thick stuff draining back there 24/7 for as long as I can remembe. It feels like a string is hanging down my throat from my sinus cavity, it's difficult to swallow, but doesn't cause me to cough.

THANKS!

Last edited by kjohnson1228; 03-04-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Re: sticky, stringy stuff in eyes

I have bad allergies to dust mites and pollen. I also constantly have post nasal drip and no cough. Im always trying to clear my throat, it get very annoying at times. My eyes will also water up in really dusty areas. Im not sure about the allergic conjunctivitis in the eye. I havent had it that bad and you might want to bring that up with your doctor. As for the PND try to find what you are allergic to and see if you can remove it from your environment. Im hoping that reducing dust in my room will elliminate that problem. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran

reader1 HB User

I have similar allergic symptoms frequently. Are you taking anything?

Old 03-05-2005, 07:10 AM   #4

celtic_mom HB User

I used to get allergic conjunctivitis all the time growing up! I would wake up and my eyes would be "glued" shut. My mother would have to presss a warm, wet washcloth to my eyes to get them "unstuck". I haven't had that happen in a long time. Now my allergies tend to be more focused on my sinuses.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
(male)

rank HB User

I've had conjunctivitis in my right eye now for about a month, had to go to my doctor about it now about three times. Im on antibiotics and eye drops now until wednesday and it seems to be getting better. For mwe though it was swelling and itchy redness of the eyelids more than crusting, although there was a bit of that too.
The first time round he gave me Maxitrol ointment which worked but it re-occured twice. I use contact lenses and wondered if that had anything to do with it, but the doctor dismissed that, just said not to where them while i had the condition.
So now i dont know what the cause is and am worried it'll just keep recurring. There is a lot of mold on the ceiling of the appartment i moved into and im wondering if thats it.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

kjohnson1228 HB User

When my eyes are stuck shut, it's not because they are crusted together, it's because my tear film becomes very sticky, like glue. Sometimes I'll have some crusty gunk that is around my eye lashes. I'll have to use my finger and literally wipe this gunk off of my eyeball, it's like stringy glue on my finger. My doctor gave my Optivar awhile ago, which seemed to help. I'm out of the prescription now, so I'll be going back soon. You can use the optivar in the morning before you put in your contacts, Then I'd take my shower before putting my contacts in, the steam would help get some more gunk out.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran

reader1 HB User

That sticky gluey mess you describe can become a crust if it dries. Optivar should help as well as steam from the shower. My eyes also got crusted closed a couple of times when I was a child. Moisture is key to getting that stuff out. Also, it's really important to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated...that helps thin mucus (which is essentially what allergic conjunctivits produces). You might also try taking some OTC guifanesin - it thins mucus.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I have bad allergies, and have the sticky, stringy stuff. My worsened when I developed Candidiasis.

~Katalina

Closed Thread