It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
(male)

ryu1977 HB User
Winter itch and hypersensitive skin

Dear all

I had posted similar message in the other board about cancer and skin disorder but I would like to post here also in order to get more explanation about eczema.

Perhaps I seem like a paranoid but since I am living far from my family in foreign country now I always worry about my health. I am 28 years old male. I came from tropical country, which does not have winter, and now stay in colder country for studying, this is the first winter in my life.

Since late November 2004 until now I have a dermatitis/eczema (quite itching)at my skin. Starting from my both thighs. Basically it was not so severe but somehow I made mistake for using a balm with metyl salicylate into my entire skin and after that the eczema started to spread to my entire body. I had met dermatologist late December and he gave me topical steroid cream (mometazone). After that basically the eczema could be controlled however it is not 100% cured from my skin, especially at my thighs and arms. I use the cream rarely (once every 4 days) and the itching is not so severe. Only sometimes it flares up and become red. My dermatologist also gives me vaseline for repair my skin dryness.

The dermatologist said that my skin is very sensitive to the dry weather and he said it has good progress and not a malignant symptoms. He also said to wait for the spring until I totally get cured.

However I still worry because I never have this kind of eczema during my life and I also read several websites about the relation between eczema/itching and lymphoma/leukemia. Fortunately, thanks to God, I don't have any other symptoms of malignancy such as swollen gland,night sweating,etc.

Please if anybody could give me brief explanation about the relation between dermatitis/eczema during winter and eczema in adult age like me (cause I think atopic dermatitis is not so common in adult), I will be very happy and really appreciate that.

Thank you for all and please apologize me if I seem too worry about this. I wish everybody will have good health. God bless you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #2

AnnieLee HB User
Re: Winter itch and hypersensitive skin

You need to keep things gentle on your skin. Keep showers short and not too hot. Only use soap where needed, your legs probably aren't dirty. Moisturize afterwards with pure oil. I'm currently using jojoba oil, but you could use an olive oil (a milder smelling one) or even other veggie oil. Be careful about vaseline, some people are allergic to petroleum products. Try taking 2 tablespoons of a good quality flaxseed oil daily. Just dump 1 T in with 1/2 cup or less of oj and drink it quickly. The flavor isn't too bad. I also take black currant oil and evening primrose oil. I do admit to using my cortisone cream when needed. I do think the gentle bathing technique is very important though.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
(male)

Zenfish HB User

check out the celiac disease websites, or wheat-gluten free websites. You have symptoms like mine, and I discovered I'm wheat-intolerant. No more wheat, no more itching. Worked for me like a miracle over three days.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
(male)

ryu1977 HB User

Thank you very much for your suggestion AnnieLee and Zenfish.

I will do your suggestion to be gentle to my skin AnnieLee. I was too aloof to my skin treatment. In my home country is very humid and no problem about dryness but I think here I have to take care my skin carefully now.

Thank you also for you Zenfish, I read your suggestion to other person about wearing cotton rather than polyster, and indeed that has big influence in my skin dryness. About celiac disease I will try to learn more about that.

Mostly thank you for sharing with me here, knowing that many people have the same problem like me will make my mind become more clear and calm than think about malignant disease all time like I am doing now.

Please if anybody has more suggestion I will be happy to read about that.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenfish
check out the celiac disease websites, or wheat-gluten free websites. You have symptoms like mine, and I discovered I'm wheat-intolerant. No more wheat, no more itching. Worked for me like a miracle over three days.
Zenfish has a good point. Neurodermitis is fairly common in people who are gluten intolerant. If your diet in your home country was primarily rice or millet, and you're now eating a "standard" western diet with LOTS of wheat which you're not used to (my speculation), you could be simply showing signs of gluten intolerance. The primary source of gluten is wheat, and if you can find a way to return to the foods you're accustomed to, your skin should clear up. However, it's of course good that you're seeing a doctor!

--Rheanna

Old 03-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

lol i'm finally a legal adult but the winter has always been known as a problem for me- since I was born. Something about the cold dry weather doesn't agree with skin. Not for me or my family, it runs in our family. The best things we did for me was put in a central humidifier, and put in wood floors in my room to control dust. It helps alot. I like the moisturizer Cetaphil to help with itching, moisturize within 5 mins of toweling off. Recommended highly by most any dr or derm. One thing I found helped alot was taking a daily antihistamine- Clarinex has worked great for me. It eliminated the need for tar & steroid shampoo in the winter(have been using both since I was 8 for scalp allergies). It sounds crazy but you might just need a vacation to the ocean(saltwater), that is the #1 thing you can do for skin allergies, along with UV rays(sunlight) natural is best. Good excuse to head to the beach=) just make sure you wear a sunscreen that doesnt contain titanium dioxide. What else... there are a million skin creams, oils, ointments,,, etc that can help you, it took me years & years to find the right one don't give up hope. Try the cetaphil lotion also a cosmetics counter called Prescriptives makes a cream called Comfort Cream which is amazing for calming itchy skin I use it on rashes & it stops them right away. Nice product. good luck.

Closed Thread