It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

deepinthought HB User
Unhappy How do allergies affect the eyes?

Can allergies cause focusing problems, problems with blurred vision or other eye problems?. What kinds of problems with the eyes have you all experienced?. The other thing I was wondering is when allergy season "officially" begins. In my state, the pollen count is as high as I've ever seen it right now and my eyes feel weird from time to time and I also have a constant, wet and drippy nose as well as "foggy head" and occassionally I cough up a bit of phlehm (although it's only a very pale yellow at times).

Me = Chronic Sinusitis, Allergic Rhinitis, Deviated Septum, Panic Disorder/Anxiety, IBS, OCD...etc

Last edited by deepinthought; 03-09-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: How do allergies affect the eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinthought
Can allergies cause focusing problems, problems with blurred vision or other eye problems?. What kinds of problems with the eyes have you all experienced?. The other thing I was wondering is when allergy season "officially" begins. In my state, the pollen count is as high as I've ever seen it right now and my eyes feel weird from time to time and I also have a constant, wet and drippy nose as well as "foggy head" and occassionally I cough up a bit of phlehm (although it's only a very pale yellow at times).

Me = Chronic Sinusitis, Allergic Rhinitis, Deviated Septum, Panic Disorder/Anxiety, IBS, OCD...etc
Allergy season officially starts when YOU start experiencing the symptoms. Just a little joke there -- I find that my symptoms don't necessarily coincide with the start of higher pollen counts. I think "official allergy season" just means when the count is high for the pollens that MOST people are allergic to. What's more important is what YOU'RE allergic to. You'll need to find a source of pollen counts in your area. Your doctor will also have a chart showing which months have high counts for different pollens. Regardless of the charts, in reality it's a little different each year due to weather patterns -- more or less warmth or moisture will please or displease different plants.

My usual eye problems regarding pollen allergies is itching. Some years it's more and some years less of a problem, due to the weather pattern I mentioned above. When it's too bad, I use eye drops.

Focusing and blurring problems can be caused by various things -- such as too much time in front of the computer ! There might also be something in your diet that isn't agreeing with you or mold in your house or various chemical sensitivities. You need to pursue this with your doctor -- and an eye doctor as well to rule out eye problems which can be treated.

If you're taking drugs for your panic and anxiety problems, or any other drugs, these drugs can be producing side effects which can be affecting your vision -- and may even be creating some of the other problems you're listing!

Good luck on sorting this out. --Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I also am allergic to lots of pollens. I will have several "allergy seasons" as one plant will set me off, then that will subside, and something else later will give me fits for a while. My allergy responses aren't always exactly the same either. Some pollens really make my eyes itch, and some make my ear canals itch.

When my eyes are involved there is itching and a gooey feeling to them. Sometimes the outer layer of skin over the white parts of the eyeballs gets inflamed and fluid filled, especially if I give in to the urge to rub them. That's pretty gross and unnerving. It also makes my hard contact lenses feel rough. I usually use over the counter allergy eye drop medication, but try not to use it too much since I also have hypertension.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I once thought I had pink eye, b/c my eyes were all gooey and kept clouding over. When the antibiotic eyedrop didn't help, I went to the eye doctor, and he said it was allergies! It was so weird b/c my eyes weren't itchy. But the antihistimine eyedrops did the trick. You can get OTC ones, but I've been prescribed Patanol and it is wonderful.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-11-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

makesally HB User
Wink Re: How do allergies affect the eyes?

I know what you are talking about. One day at work, completely out of the blue, everything around me just went into a weird haze, and i still havent snapped out of it. That was 6 months ago. My vision is blurry, i went to an optomitrist he said my eyes were fine. I feel spaced, my doc gave me allegra d and sitrex and cipro, and nothing worked. I have just learned to live with it hoping I'll wake up normal, and I'm so scared something else is seriously wrong with me. Just does not seem like a typical allergy symptom, even though i stay with my friend who owns cats and I'm allergic to them. I have anxiety problems too. Trust me, i know its freaky, I hope it goes away for you. It hasn't yet for me.

The vision problems I'm, having don't seem like they are caused by wateryness or itchiness. I feel light sensitive, like I'm asleep, and only occasionally do i sneeze or cough. If you'd like to talk, my email is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] I'm Katie.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-11-2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

well, when allergies bug my eyes, i could have itchy, red, swollen eyes, could have gunky eyes.. and because of that stuff.. I could get blurry vision, in the eye, until the swell etc, goes away...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #7

DreaC11 HB User

This fall I spontaneously acquired an allergy to just about every environmental irritant they test for. My first symptoms was that my eyes got very itchy and watery and in the morning they were full of yellow/white pus (gross.) I too, thought it was pink eye- turns out it was allergic conjunctivitus. Around this time, I also started getting "the fog." It came on really suddenly and felt like someone had thrown a gauzy blanket over my head. It was hard to think, like my thoughts were packed in cotton. My vison was sort of blurry, but exactly out of focus, although I did have trouble focusing my eyes going from short to long distances. Foggy, disconnected, drugged or mildly drunk, like I am trapped in a bubble or looking through glass- this is how I usually describe it to people. At its worse (Early December) I almost felt like I was outside of my body. Now it waxes and wanes, I have good days and bad, good hours and bad, but it is still making life miserable If this is what you feel like, here is the info I can offer you-

1. Rule out a sinus infection or inflamation. Sinus infections can take a while to get rid of sometimes, but they can make you feel this way. Get a CT scan of your sinues and/or have them orthoscopically scoped.

2.Try Chlortrimeton-full dosage. Someone named CutThroat on these allergy boards swears by it and it has helped alot of people with their problems. He doesn't know why it works, but it is cheap and it can't hurt.

3. Check out inner ear stuff. If you feel dizzy, have vertigo, feel fullness in your ears this is a very, very good possiblity. Even if you don't, there is a chance it is related. An ENT would be your first stop but a specialst called a neuro-otologist or even a neuro-opthomologist is better. They can do specific diagonstic tests to see if you have any vestibular nerve damage.

3. See a neurologist. Again, a slim chance that this is epilepsy or even migaine related. Allergies and sinus problems have been known to aggrivate migranes and you don't always need to have a headache to be experiencing the migraine. The vison problems could be a migraine aura which never develops into the pusing headache one usaully associates with migraine.

4. See a psychiatrist. If you are sure that your problems is not psychologial, go with your gut. A lot of doctors try to write you off with a perscription for Paxil because these symptoms do mimic anxiety disorder. But, you have to figure they are so quick to give the anxiety diagnosis for a reason. They see alot of people who get these feelings as a symptom of anxiety. Again, like the migraines, anxiety can be silent and the only way to really rule it out is to give an SSRI a run. I think doctors tend to rush to this diagnosis when in many cases the problem is physcial, but again, it should be ruled out.

5. TMJ can screw with all kinds of things so see a dentist, a TMJ speicalist if possible. Migranes, TMJ and inner ear problems all have a way of playing off each other and can all cause foggy/spacey/detached senstaions. It is not uncommon for people to have TMJ and migranes, or TMJ and inner ear problems or all three.

I still don't know what is causing my fog, but I hope I am getting close. I am due to have vestibular testing in early April, so hopefully that will turn something up as all other avenues have produced nil.

Good luck with finding a solution to your problem, if indeed what I have described is what you are dealing with. If not, well, good luck with that too and hopfully this long message will aide someone googling "brain fog" and allergies in the future as I did last November.

Best
A

Closed Thread