It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #1

celtic_mom HB User
Flonase - nose bleeds

Hi - I read that nose bleeds were a common side effect from using Flonase, but what it doesn't say is whether or not it goes away eventually. If I'm going to continue having them, I may stop or switch to something else.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Re: Flonase - nose bleeds

I just went through the same thing. Nose bleeds with Flonase along with dry mucus in my throat and voice problems. I saw an ENT and he said my nose was raw and to stop the Flonase. He said my nose was so clear it was like I was breathing through my mouth. It was causing throat and voice problems. He recommended a saline nasal spray with aloe. I am slowing getting better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

My nose adjusted to the Flonase, but my nose bleeds were not very bad to start off with. My previous allergist (gosh I miss him, I wish I hadn't moved) does recommend using a saline spray first, before using the Flonase b/c it will help moisturize the nose, as well as flush out mucus so that the spray gets to where it is needed most.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran

reader1 HB User

Ditto. Rinse 5-10 minutes before using flonase. Make sure you are spraying it correctly, and not right into the inside of each nostril up against the bone....

Old 03-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #5

celtic_mom HB User

Thanks for the advice guys!

Reader - what do you mean "not up against the bone"? I lean forward like the instructions say, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to do - should I be making sure the spray tip passes the cartridge of my nose entirely before I spray? I've been afraid of shoving in to far up.

sneezediva/reader - I have saline drops, will those work?

And donsabi - I woke up two days in a row with "dried mucus" on the roof of my mouth (gross, I know). I didn't understand that. And for the last two days (I started flonase about a week ago) I've felt the need to clear my throat, like I have mucous in it, but it's hard to cough anything up. Does that sound like it could be the flonase. At first, I thought it was the PND from the cold, and that it might be going in my lungs, but then I realized it felt like it was in my throat.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

celtic-mom,
That sounds very similar to what I had. My ENT said it was becasue of my Flonase use my nose had become raw and so clear that it was like breathing through my mouth all the time. This was causing the dried mucus in my throat and affecting my voice. I originally started Flonase becasue of PND. I may have just over done it because Flonase has always been a good medication for me. Everybody is different so I think it would be best to call your doctor. BTW, my throat and voice are clearing up.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #7

DreaC11 HB User

A good trick I have found with flonase (has eliminated my nose bleeds) is to use the opposite hand to the nostril you are spraying and to make sure that you are pointing the nozzle AWAY from your septum. IE: If you are spraying your left nostril, use your right hand and spray with the nozzle of the bottle tilted towards your left ear. The nose bleeds are often caused by irritation/drying/cracking of the septum from direct sprays.

hope this helps
A

Closed Thread