It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #1

Kim57 HB User
What is this rash?

Hello. I've been in Heathboards before but never this topic. First time dealing with this situation. A few weeks ago I developed a rash on the right and left sides of my lower belly only. Somewhat itchy but went away after a few days. Then 2 days ago I woke up scratching around my bra area underneath my arm. When I went to the mirror I had a severe rash on both sides of my torso from the top part of my legs to underneath my armpits. Mostly worse around my panty line and where my bra is. And itches terribly also. Funny, there is very little in the middle of my stomach. I dont think that it is shingles. I have seen shingles before and usually there are blisters accompaning the rash. I have no blisters. Also I have had no fever or illness that usually goes along with shingles. The only 2 things I can think of differently that I have been doing is that I recently have been using the new laundry detergent...Tide with Downey, and also I have been adding Flax Seed to my diet. Could one of these be the culprit? Wouldnt I have a rash all over instead of just my torso?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: What is this rash?

It could be delayed pressured urticaria where pressure causes hiving on that part of the body. Just like the panty line where the elastics could have added pressure to your skin and that might be the cause of the rash. It would be good if you could go to your doctor and discuss about what I just wrote. There are info online about delayed pressure urticaria that you can get more understanding from.
New laundry detergent could also be the culprit. You might want to eliminate them for a period of time and see if you get better. At the moment, oatmeal baths or antihistamines might help with the rash and itch. Good luck!

See also dermatographism (sp), it's hiving after stroking the skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #3

dawnb HB User
Red face Re: What is this rash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
Hello. I've been in Heathboards before but never this topic. First time dealing with this situation. A few weeks ago I developed a rash on the right and left sides of my lower belly only. Somewhat itchy but went away after a few days. Then 2 days ago I woke up scratching around my bra area underneath my arm. When I went to the mirror I had a severe rash on both sides of my torso from the top part of my legs to underneath my armpits. Mostly worse around my panty line and where my bra is. And itches terribly also. Funny, there is very little in the middle of my stomach. I dont think that it is shingles. I have seen shingles before and usually there are blisters accompaning the rash. I have no blisters. Also I have had no fever or illness that usually goes along with shingles. The only 2 things I can think of differently that I have been doing is that I recently have been using the new laundry detergent...Tide with Downey, and also I have been adding Flax Seed to my diet. Could one of these be the culprit? Wouldnt I have a rash all over instead of just my torso?

Did you ever find out what this is? I read with increasing interest your post as I have been dealing with something very similar for the past three weeks. It started on my upper hip/lower sides of my abdomen and in my bra area on the sides. It is very slowly moving around my back and toward the middle lower abdomen and all over my bra area. I have been to the doctor twice. I did not respond to steroid injections, benedryl injections, hydrocortisone cream doesn't seem to help at all and it itches INTENSELY!! It is not very noticable unless I scratch and then it gets red and a little bumpy. I am calling the dermatologist Monday because I am getting no relief and it seems to be worsening. I bought all cotton underwear yesterday and switched from Cheer and Downey to uncscented laundry products. I hope that is all it is but I am getting a little freaked out by the comments I am reading on the board about all of these other conditions. I have never been allergic or had any skin sensitivities at all in my life. The only medication I take on a regular basis is Zoloft and I have been taking that for nearly four years.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

omg14omg HB User

Well I have just gotten a rash from my shoulders to my fingers and from my hips to my toes. I realized that I got it from Splenda which is Sucralose. I was extremely ichy. So maybe thats the same case with you, except you are itching in different places than me. But I don't know. Just try ruling out the flax seed or tide and downy. But you should see a doctor or dermatologist.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #5

Kim57 HB User

Well I did end up eliminating first the Tide With A Touch of Downey. And shortly thereafter the rash has dissapeared. I also discontinued the Flax seed but slowly started back on it and no rash. I am pretty sure that the new detergent was the culprit. I have never had a allergy reaction to detergent before but I quess there's always a first time. I still use it in my towels and clothes that dont "hug" my body and it seems not to bother me. I'm just making sure I dont use it in my underware

Closed Thread