It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #1

just_imagine HB User
What can I do for PUFFY eyes?

I'm in my early 20s, and have been experiencing seasonal allergies from when I was about 11 or so. Anyways, my biggest problem is that every morning I've been waking up with very puffy, tired eyes. Allergy medicine (Allegra, Reactine, etc) seem to do nothing for this. I checked the drugstore today and everything advertises to help with "dry, itchy, watering red eyes"... but not SWOLLEN! I'm at a loss for how to relieve this symptom. I can deal with my other allergy symptoms, but the swelling of my eyelids really makes it hard for me to stay awake during the day. I look and feel tired even when I get 10 hours of sleep!

Would using a gel eye-mask thingy help? Is there anything I can do...

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: What can I do for PUFFY eyes?

Puffy eyes are caused by sinus issues, I think. :-) Instead of looking for drops or something, try out some Sudafed if your congested, or some allegra or somethign to dry up your sinuses...or both. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yeah could be sinues, but i really like this cucumber cooling gel that St Ives makes, I'll have to find the name for you, because it really does brighten up my eyes and makes me feel more awake. If you apply to your eye area it will decrease the puffiness. I think it is called an anti-stress gel or something, comes in a green tube...

Old 04-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #4

just_imagine HB User

Thanks so much for the replies. I never realized it could be a sinus issue before, but that makes sense cuz I often get sinus headaches. I'll look into that! And that cooling gel seems perfect, that's exactly the kind of thing I need. Some sort of eye relief that is cold! I'll look for it... thanks!

Old 04-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

You also should try an antihistimine eyedrop. Rx Patanol is the one the works the best for me. But Opcon-A is an OTC one that works great also. I find it also helps to dab a little of the eyedrops on the puffy bags below my eyes to shrink them. When the pollen count is really high, I use an eyewash to wash the pollen out of my eye. If the puffiness is worse in the morning, I agree it could be sinus related, but allergies to dustmites could also be causing you to wake up with puffy eyes.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 04-12-2005 at 09:55 PM.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

No Sudafed is crap, don't use that. I would try prescription eye drops, plus I use Cortizone around my eyes believe it or not. I wake up with puffy eyes as well asnt ehy itch like crazy. I think I scratch them in my sleep, So, before I got to bed each night and each morning I close my eyes and rub in the Cortizone all around. It reall does help. Also, the Cucumber cooling gel sounds helpful for puffiness!

Old 04-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #7

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post Re: What can I do for PUFFY eyes?

I you want a quick fix for going out..................use a hemmroid medication...........works like a charm....I do it all the time. In MINUTES it will get rid of the puffiness. I'm SERIOUS !!!!!!!!

Closed Thread