It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
Seasonal Allergies & Thyroid

I used to be the most allergic person on earth (at least that is how I felt, my husband used to joke and say that I was allergic to my own hair!).

After years, and years of allergy shots since I was 10, I am now 45, every allergy medication available (oral, nasal sprays, eye drops), I am not suffering anymore. I am enjoying spring!

Can't explain it, but I started thyroid meds for hypothyroidism on Sept 2003. In the spring of 2004 I noticed I did not needed as much allergy medication, I had some reaction but nothing compared to previous years. This year I have no allergic reaction, there must be a connection!

I don't know if there is a connection, but it is too much of a coincidence. I was resigned to live the rest of my life with severe allergies since nothing available gave me any relief, but I can't believe this, it is April 18 and I can enjoy the outdoors.

Mintchocolate

Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Seasonal Allergies & Thyroid

I have heard this too about the connection between thyroid and allergies. In fact I've been visting the thyroid board lately, because I also have been gaining weight for no apparent reason. My doctor says my thyroid results are normal, so I don't know. May I ask, what caused you to seek treatment for your thyroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

storm12 HB User

I can't seem to convince my allergist or any other doctor I've been to that I may have a thyroid problem. Despite years of shots and medication, I'm still have lots of problems with allergies this spring. The tree pollen is awful. They all think I am just a hypochondriac. It is extremely frustrating. Despite low FT4 and FT3 because of course those levels "don't matter" when compared to the TSH. Apparently any "good" doctors are not covered under my insurance. --Yes, I am a little bit frustrated.-- And I have some family history, too. Apparently my grandmother's history doesn't count since my dad hasn't been diagnosed with it - but of course my dad won't go to a doctor for anything as it is. I thought family history is important, but lately they only ask about parents and siblings, and no one else. I have a brother who won't go to a doctor unless it is an absolute emergency, either.

Just had to vent. Tree pollen is getting to my brain. . .

Old 04-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Maybe it's just a really bad season, but I just started thyroid meds in December and this is the worst my allergies have been in a long time! But this is only my second year here in AZ and there was tons of rain earlier in the year, so it's a killer allergy season in general. But when I'm not sleepy from the benadryl (Allegra isn't doing anything for me and because of drug interactions I can't take any of the "D" drugs), I have so much more energy. Definitely check out the thyroid board, get tested, and if you know it's a problem, don't take no for an answer. Anyway, good luck to everybody.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

deweyed HB User

. .

Last edited by deweyed; 04-20-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
I have heard this too about the connection between thyroid and allergies. In fact I've been visting the thyroid board lately, because I also have been gaining weight for no apparent reason. My doctor says my thyroid results are normal, so I don't know. May I ask, what caused you to seek treatment for your thyroid?

Sneezydiva,

I like your name.

I sought thyroid treatment because I had lots, and lots of hypothyroid symptoms. In fact, in 1997 I told my gp that I had hypothyroidism and he said, no, you don't. He tested me, and he proved to me that I didnít have it, he only tested TSH. Well, after 7 years and getting worse, a good doctor diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and now I feel wonderful, I am full of energy, I have lost some weight and my allergies are gone (something I never imagined it would happen). To test for thyroid you have to get a full thyroid panel, not just TSH like most doctors do. A full panel consists of a blood test that includes TSH, T4(free), T3(free), and antibodies. Antibodies are where I think the connection with allergies is. Antibodies attack your own body, in this case the thyroid. I am not a doctor, but it is pretty much what an allergic reaction is, your own immune system attacks.

BTW, I asked my allergy doctor if there was a connection between thyroid and allergies since I was feeling better, he told me that there was no connection, not to expect getting any better by taking thyroid meds. (This was a year ago, the last time I saw him).

It is a long story, and I don't want to go on, but I suffered so much for so many years with both allergies and hypothyroidsm that I wanted to post this because it might help some of you. I now only take medication for hypothyroidsm and feel wonderful. If you want to learn more about thyroid check the thyroid board, it is very informative.

Mintchoc

Last edited by mintchocolate; 04-20-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Thanks! Mintchocolate.

My doctor bloodwork included a FT4 as well as the TSH. The TSH is very good, but people on the thyroid board tell me the FT4 is low, though it was in the range of the lab tests. Besides gaining weight the only other symptom I have is fatigue, which of course can also be caused by allergies. I will definately keep an eye on my symptoms and the thyroid board. Sooner or later, I will figure this out.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I just saw the nurse practicioner of my ENT and she carefully listened to all my complaints. Even without mentioning the word thyroid she spent a good deal of time examining my neck/thryroid. And then when I mentioned it, she carefully checked it again. She suspects food allergies are complicating my situation. I feel more confident now that someone really listened and actually examined me as well as looked at my lab results. She also mentioned going off birth control pills as they can cause nasal congestion as well as upset the delicate endocrine balance.

Closed Thread