It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

sha141977 HB User
Novacaine allergy

Hi! I am hoping someone out there can help me!!
I have been told that I have a novacaine allergy. I was tested for both types of caines, ester and something else I can't remember right now. Anyway, I am wondering what is an alternative to this for dental work! I can not have general anesthesia either. I'm a mess!!! But hopefully someone out there might now of something or someone else with this problem and how they've dealt with it! Thanks for any help!!! I don't know what else to do and my denist has no idea and doesn't plan to look into it and my allergist says he is not sure and he also does not plan to research this!! ugh!!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Novacaine allergy

Find a new allergist and a new dentist. Seriously! If they aren't going to work with you, then they aren't the right health care providers for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I have to agree with Titchou especially about the dentist. I would call around and ask different dentists if they can help you. One thing I would do if you haven't already, is get sealants on all your teeth to prevent cavities and having to get fillings in the first place. Maybe think about getting an extra cleaning each year. Also, I once had a filling done without novicaine. My dentist convinced me it wasn't very deep and I wouldn't feel anything. Well, I did feel it, but honestly it wasn't excruiating pain, it was more like the sensation of hitting your funny bone. Still, I'm not sure I would do it again.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 04-22-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi all,
I have allergies to sulfites, which are used in dental preps like lidocaine and novocaine, but have read about an alternative called carbocaine, which is made without the sulfites. Do not know if sulfite is what you are allergic/sensitive to, but you could ask your allergist about it. Sulfite allergies are quite common, and sulfites are in just about everything. I have to run the carbocaine issue by my dentist, too, cause I am way overdo for the deep scaling. Just a thought for you, it may help. Oh and my neighbor refuse to even get novocaine without gas first, cause she hates needle. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try a filling without something! Yikes!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #5

DebraL HB User

How did they test for this, and what are your allergic reactions/ symptoms?

Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

star12300 HB User

If your dentist isn't going to find out about it then he can't really be a very good dentist. You should see another dentist to find out about it.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

annehirn HB User

I went to the dentist 2 days ago, got 2 shots of novacaine in front and my right sinus will not stop draining. It is like a horrible allergy attack. My nose hurts and I sneeze alot. Does anyone know what I can do?

Closed Thread