It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

xmerkatx HB User
Red face Zyrtec side effects, holy crap!

Well, my seasonal allergies have come back worse than ever, and in the past I would take Zyrtec on and off every spring and seemed to never have too much of a problem. In fact, I tried Benadryl before and that made me fall right asleep sitting up mid-day (I'm an insomniac otherwise, sleeping during the day is a big fat no-no regularly). Claritin never worked for me although I couldn't help trying with it repeatedly last year (glutton for punishment? Haha). So Zyrtec it has been. Last year my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I got a whole bunch of 10 mg samples from my doctor. They worked great.

This year, they're working, but I'm getting the same drowsiness I had with Benadryl! The not able to keep eyes open/keep head upright/function at all thing! I'd almost rather suffer from itchy dry eyes, itchy clogged sinuses, a runny nose! I'm quite surprised and very disappointed, has anyone else experienced this with Zyrtec? I knew it did cause drowsiness but not incapacitation. And are there any OTC meds that are non-drowsy to try? I seem to have the hardest time finding them if they do exist because I don't know brands to look for.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Zyrtec side effects, holy crap!

I take Zyrtec at night before I sleep. It does last 24 hours and this way I avoid that day time drowsiness.

For me, those NON DROWSY meds are BAD news. If I take them, even in the morning, I will not sleep at night!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

xmerkatx HB User

Ahh that's the problem, I take them at night too but the usual sounds that will wake me up do nothing (wound up getting 10 hrs of sleep). Then I attempt to get out of bed and can't even function, in fact today I forgot what day it was and had to be reminded of what I had to do. I'd rather not sleep anyway since that's what I'm used to, at least then I won't be so confused, Zyrtec is a death trap waiting to happen in this case.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Sounds like a really strong reaction....Hoping you can find something that is less sedating!

Old 05-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Most people find that the drowziness wears off in a couple of weeks. I never had that happen and I take my Zyrtec in the AM....but then, I'm wound up as an alarm clock so it takes a lot to make me drowzy!

Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
(male)

ZRulz HB User

My allergist gave my wife and I a plan that works best for our specific allergies.

I use Allegra-D (one tablet twice daily).

My wife uses Allegra-D during the day to prevent drowsiness and Zyrtec-D at night, because it knocks her out.

I have really BAD allergies, nothing life threatening though, but I can take the mild sedation of the medication (histamine blocker) versus the extreme fatigue and "wishy-washy" feeling I have from the huge release of histamines, which I understand is the body's defense against the allergen(s).

Depending on the dosage and how often you can take them based on your prescription, I would suggest a Zyrtec (especially the all-day dose) before bed so the heavy sedation can take place while sleeping and it will taper off during the day, otherwise give it about three weeks and then tell your doctor and see if there is another that will have a less severe sedating effect. You may have to experiment for a while, but I've heard it said often that these medicines are like vitamins, "They take a while to feel the benefit(s) and over time you will lose sight of their true value, but you WILL see just how well they really did work for you immediately if you stop taking them."

Closed Thread