It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Question Can allergies cause breathing problems?

Hi
For ages now Ive had breathing problems - shortness of breath at night.
With the onset of the hayfever season in the UK it seems to have gotten worse, however when I take antihistamines (Zyrtec), it doesn't seem to bother me as much. I am sleeping better and have fewer awakenings.
Can an allergy really cause shortness of breath to the extent that it will cause severe shortness of breath?

Thanks for any comments.
Tesss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Can allergies cause breathing problems?

Yes! You might have asthma. Have you had an asthma test? Or you might have what I had, sino-bronchial syndrome. Basically, it is infected sinus drainage that drips into your longs and causes the bronchial tubes to constrict. If this is your problem, a sinus CT scan will show the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Sneezydiva
I have been tested for asthma and I don't have it. Ive had chest xrays, heart tests, a bronchoscopy, and my lungs and heart are all fine. They are currently investigating acid reflux. However since coming off a prescribed drug I have been a lot better in this respect.
And I have since noticed that taking antihistamines seems to help quite a lot. and I do get a lot of post nasal drip - expecially since the start of the hayfever season in UK. So would you recommend asking for allergy testing and a sinus CT scan then? I do wonder if I have the same as you have, I did a net search for it but couldn't really come up with anything.
So how do you treat it and are you cured?

Best wishes
Tesss

Old 05-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I was the same as you, chest x-rays normal, asthma test normal. Lots of PND. Antihistimines made me feel a whole lot better. I would definitely recommend allergy testing, and a Sinus CT.
I don't know why there isn't a lot of information on the internet about this. Besides my doctor, the only other place I've seen it mentioned is a short 1 page blurb in Dr. grossan's The Sinus Cure book.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

I would definitely recommend allergy testing also. Please look up a condition called vocal cord dysfunction. It was believed that I had asthma also. The periods of shortness of breath was unbearable and I thought that I was going to die. It turns out that I had vocal cord dysfunction which causes asthma like symptoms but isn't asthma at all. This condition can be triggered like asthma but it happens to me when I am around cigarette smoke, have a respiratory infection- or when my sinuses and allergies are really acting up.

Hope this helps you

Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi,

I have the same symptoms are you, and was tested several times for asthma, but did not test positive. I have severe allergies and it does seem worse when I get a cold, during allergy season, and also when I get upset. They have never been able to figure out what mine is caused from, or exactly what it is. I would interested to see if maybe I had one of the causes that you ladies have!

Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi All
I am so glad I found this board - up till now I have felt such a freak as I haven't found anyone else with the same symptoms. People just look at me wierdly!
It sounds like I definately need allergy testing and a sinus ct scan.

tip2mol, I have heard of vcd, in fact I am having a barium meal on friday to see whether I have acid reflux and I know that these things can be linked. But isn't vcd a real sudden attack, wheras what I am getting gets worse or better over a period of hours. What do you do to control it?

However I wonder if this can throw more light on my symptoms - I took a decongestant yesterday evening and had really bad shortness of breath last night - I just thought that this would help to get rid of the excess mucus but I guess it just worsened the already bad situation and dripped the mucus into my lungs all night???

Thanks for the replies, its so helpful to talk to people who have a similar sort of thing.
Litthotwm, so are you going to get some testing done?
Best wishes
Tesss

Closed Thread