It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

Downpillow HB User
Dust mite allergy - itching in morning - help!

Hello,
I have a dust mite allergy, and every morning I go crazy because my arms and legs itch so much. Especially after the (warm, not hot) shower.
I am doing everything my doc says, airtight mattress covers, synthetic blanket, Air filters, hepa-vacuum, special detergent, allegra-pills, nasal spray, moisturizer, sometimes cortaid ointment, etc. Nothing helps. Doc is at the end of his wisdom, has treated me for scabies twice, but no relief.
My skin looks completely normal as long as I don't scratch, and I have only minimal respiratory symptoms and eye redness
Any ideas about what I could do, or possibly what else could be causing the itching? (The only other things I tested positive for were rabbits and cats - and I have neither)
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Dust mite allergy - itching in morning - help!

What detergent do you use???? Try a fragrance free one....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: Dust mite allergy - itching in morning - help!

Hi there

your itchiness after the warm shower could be due to the heat. Heat is a mast cell degranulator... meaning it causes your body's mast cell to release the histamines(the chemical that makes you itch) and you start to feel itchy. Try lower the temperature of the water and see if you still itch. Also you might want to try cold water and see if you itch after that.

I know it can be frustating when you can't find the reason and cause that's causing you to itch every morning! Do you have air condition at home? Could it be the mold that's in the air that you might be allergic to and not know they are there? Sometimes it's the chemicals in the detergent that you use to wash your laundry. Eventhough you start to use a new special type of detergent, there might still be the 'old' detergent chemical residue on the clothes, bed sheets... To completely avoid that offending chemical, you have to throw away all the old sheets or clothes and get new ones. Don't forget to clean your cupboards and drawers thoroughly too. But this way is costly... so unless you really know that you are allergic/sensitive to the detergent, you might want to try another solution.

::by the way, did you had the allergy skin test?

Closed Thread