Hey everybody! Im new to the boards, but not to allergy symptoms.
I have had allergy/ sinus problems my whole life. ..... Since it has proved virtually impossible to avoid this combination of allergens, and the many allergy meds i have tried never seem to help, I gave up trying to aleviate my symptoms, and decided i would just live forever in discomfort. I moved to Texas 11 years ago, and since then i have had slight puffiness under my eyes and more severe puffiness over my cheeks where the maxilarry (SP?) sinuses are. The puffiness has become more severe over the past year, which has brought me back to my forgotten search for the cure to my allergy/ sinus symptoms, because i cant stand looking like this anymore. I took action by researching sinuses and allergies on the net...never found anything about puffiness of the cheeks like I have though....I have been to the dr about all this recently, and his third treatment option has failed to work, just as the first two did....I guess ill call back for option 4 next week.
I dont know what to do about this.
I dont know what to try next...
I feel like a freak because of my puffy eyes and cheeks....well, more so because of the dent in the middle of the puffy areas that starts below the corners of my eyes and runs diagonally across the front of my face. Who of you out there can relate?
I would truely appreciate any suggestions, and I am open to trying just about anything at this point! Has anyone with swollen cheeks tried gel masks or other topicals? Homeopathic (i think thats the word for natural meds) remedies? I would also appreciate hearing about what didnt work for those of you with facial swelling.
* HERES WHAT I KNOW*
WHAT IM ALLERGIC TO: dust, dustmites, feathers/birds, tomatoes, rag weed, grass, clorine and plenty of pollens
WHAT MY SYMPTOMS ARE:
1. Pronounced puffiness/ swelling of face/cheeks located below my eye area where Maxilarry sinuses are (THIS IS WHAT I HOPE TO CURE MOST!!!!!)
2. Slight puffiness/ swelling under eyes
3. nose constantly stuffy (I cant ever breathe through both sides at once, usually I can breathe partially through one side)
4. pressure in my sinuses most of the time
LESS THEN ONCE A WEEK: runny nose or allergy attack
(My puffiness is never better or worse depending on time of day, seasons, or allergy attacks)
WHAT MY DR. SAID: The puffiness is from being constantly stuffed up. He says my sinuses arent getting air in them which is causing pressure, this is resulting in irritation and that is creating swelling.
WHAT I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:
1. claritin....(is claritin-D different then claritin?)
4. Astelin in combination with Nasonex
5. Astelin in combination with Nasonex, patanol and Singulair
6. Performing saline sinus washing (wash contained no preservatives) while taking otc decongestants
7. Sinus clearing facial massages
8. Benadryl....i dont know if it helped cause it put me to sleep for 48 hours lol
9. Rubatussin (spelling?) found out I am allergic to it
10. (For swelling) aleve, soy based topical lotion, caffinated tea bags under eyes, cucumbers on eyes, preperation-H cream under eyes, ice on cheeks and under eyes.
I have not seen an ENT yet, but plan to in the future. I am currently using nasalcrom, but havent used it long enough yet to tell if it will help....Does anyone think visiting an Allergist would benefit me? I have seen one several times throughout the years, but the last time i went was seven years ago.
Thanks for listening!
P.S. If you are looking for someone to chat about stuffiness, and or sinus infections related to allergies with a deviated septum Im your girl! I have had a septoplasty (nose surgery for deviated septum) a few years ago. Im affraid im not much use on any other allergy related questions... as i havent yet found a single thing that works for me....All i can hope to offer you all is my support, which is something I am always happy to give.