It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Mary's University College, Twickenham
Posts: 655
ratboy83 HB User
fatigue after wheat?

seem to get really sleepy after eating wheat. could this suggest i have some sort of intolerence to it. sometimes get stoach probs and the runs but more the fatigue. any ideas???????

alex.

 
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 233
DaVinci HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

Actually I think it's quite common, but we don't eliminate it as a suspect cause we often have it with other possible culprits eg) hamburger, hotdogs etc. Is it the beef, the preservatives, is it even real meat? My mom has allergies to wheat - severe headaches. My boy has allergies to rye and oat - screws up gastro system -constipation. I like you get sleepy and I also get the foggy brain after wheat. I believe it's the commonality that all these foods share - glutein.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmond, OK USA
Posts: 917
Howitt44 HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

I don't have a problem when I eat a little wheat, but if I overdo it (like when I go to Olive Garden and eat the breadsticks) I feel lousy. I am really fatigued and I ache all over. I have chalked it up to either a sensitivity or I have a problem with yeast. I love bread, but am learning to really limit my intake because I feel so bad afterwards. Good luck!

 
Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,922
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44
I don't have a problem when I eat a little wheat, but if I overdo it (like when I go to Olive Garden and eat the breadsticks) I feel lousy. I am really fatigued and I ache all over. I have chalked it up to either a sensitivity or I have a problem with yeast. I love bread, but am learning to really limit my intake because I feel so bad afterwards. Good luck!
It could be the carbs and other calories. The body breaks down carbohydrates into blood sugar. If there are too many carbs, all at one time, the pancreas shoots more insulin into the system to handle the excess blood sugar. The body can't handle the excess insulin and starts rejecting the excess insulin. After a while the body gets tired of handling excess insulin and becomes insulin resistant, and it take less calories and carbs to cause a bad reaction.

If you are interested in researching this further, look up "Insulin Resistance" or "Metabolic Syndrome", or "Syndrome X".

 
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 220
The Inquirer HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

In addition to what the others have said, you might want to get tested for Celiac Disease -- it's just a blood test, but make sure your doctor knows which ab's to test for. My mother had no symptoms at all when she was diagnosed. If you'd rather not go to the doctor, eliminate gluten from your diet and see how you feel -- that's usually a pretty good indicator.

Good luck,
Inq

 
Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,658
Losec20mg HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inquirer
In addition to what the others have said, you might want to get tested for Celiac Disease -- it's just a blood test, but make sure your doctor knows which ab's to test for. My mother had no symptoms at all when she was diagnosed. If you'd rather not go to the doctor, eliminate gluten from your diet and see how you feel -- that's usually a pretty good indicator.

Good luck,
Inq
you said it my man....iv always felt lousy after this wheat gluten, until i got really sick one day..went to the emergency, they did tests on me and, told me I had celiac disease...it is very hard to diagnose..but, you can also do it on your own by iliminating wheat for a couple weeks and, then eating some of it again..see your reaction. Good luck...Oh and, i feel like iv never felt before..im telling you iliminating it will make you feel fantastic.

 
Old 07-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Mary's University College, Twickenham
Posts: 655
ratboy83 HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

cheers for the comments. don't think its the carbs as i eat all unrefined complex stuff which won't have the same impact on insulin and blood sugar levels. think its prob the gluten issue. seem to get the sympoms lss when i have muesli for breaky (contains wheat but with other grains that are LOWER in gluten than wheat) than when i eat just wholewheat toast. also, asked in my health food store and said that taking papain enzyme with wheat can help break down the gluten and eliminate some of the symptoms. tried it and it has worked a bit. gonna also try baking bread using spelt flour. its an ancient cousin of wheat but is apprantly tolerated better by many. thanks again all.

alex.

 
Old 07-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: emerald city
Posts: 1,312
rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
cheers for the comments. don't think its the carbs as i eat all unrefined complex stuff which won't have the same impact on insulin and blood sugar levels. think its prob the gluten issue. seem to get the sympoms lss when i have muesli for breaky (contains wheat but with other grains that are LOWER in gluten than wheat) than when i eat just wholewheat toast. also, asked in my health food store and said that taking papain enzyme with wheat can help break down the gluten and eliminate some of the symptoms. tried it and it has worked a bit. gonna also try baking bread using spelt flour. its an ancient cousin of wheat but is apprantly tolerated better by many. thanks again all.
--alex.
I'm curious what your results will be using papain while consuming gluten-containing foods. All the legitimate celiac websites say that if you truly have an intolerance to gluten, then avoiding gluten is the only way to give your body a "rest" from the substance it can't handle. It may be that you have a milder intolerance than some of us. I avoid spelt because it's a form of wheat -- ancient or no. I choose not to eat anything along with gluten-containing foods, because I haven't seen anything in the celiac websites that indicate that ANY substance can make the body tolerate it better. I hope papain and spelt work for you.

--Rheanna

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Chronic Fatigue cycle - getting big thyroid ArtyAussie Chronic Fatigue 6 04-01-2010 07:15 PM
chronic sinus headache and fatigue tjphillips Sinus Problems 14 01-25-2010 05:47 AM
extreme fatigue/overall ill feeeling after eating katzy8 Diet & Nutrition 8 11-20-2009 05:12 AM
Adrenal Fatigue Hannigaholic Chronic Fatigue 3 04-03-2008 11:36 AM
My Chronic Fatigue: Anyone Else Similar? cake_2 Chronic Fatigue 21 04-06-2007 05:18 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Allegra
Astelin
Benadryl
Clarinex Claritin
  Flonase
Nasonex
Prednisone
Singulair
Zyrtec




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (61), janewhite1 (39), danabarb (16), Machaon (10), MountainReader (8), jennybyc (7), MeezerWheezer (7), ladybud (6), solofelix (5), Kimesie (4)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (942), Apollo123 (859), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!