It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
fatigue after wheat?

seem to get really sleepy after eating wheat. could this suggest i have some sort of intolerence to it. sometimes get stoach probs and the runs but more the fatigue. any ideas???????

alex.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
(female)

DaVinci HB User
Re: fatigue after wheat?

Actually I think it's quite common, but we don't eliminate it as a suspect cause we often have it with other possible culprits eg) hamburger, hotdogs etc. Is it the beef, the preservatives, is it even real meat? My mom has allergies to wheat - severe headaches. My boy has allergies to rye and oat - screws up gastro system -constipation. I like you get sleepy and I also get the foggy brain after wheat. I believe it's the commonality that all these foods share - glutein.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I don't have a problem when I eat a little wheat, but if I overdo it (like when I go to Olive Garden and eat the breadsticks) I feel lousy. I am really fatigued and I ache all over. I have chalked it up to either a sensitivity or I have a problem with yeast. I love bread, but am learning to really limit my intake because I feel so bad afterwards. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44
I don't have a problem when I eat a little wheat, but if I overdo it (like when I go to Olive Garden and eat the breadsticks) I feel lousy. I am really fatigued and I ache all over. I have chalked it up to either a sensitivity or I have a problem with yeast. I love bread, but am learning to really limit my intake because I feel so bad afterwards. Good luck!
It could be the carbs and other calories. The body breaks down carbohydrates into blood sugar. If there are too many carbs, all at one time, the pancreas shoots more insulin into the system to handle the excess blood sugar. The body can't handle the excess insulin and starts rejecting the excess insulin. After a while the body gets tired of handling excess insulin and becomes insulin resistant, and it take less calories and carbs to cause a bad reaction.

If you are interested in researching this further, look up "Insulin Resistance" or "Metabolic Syndrome", or "Syndrome X".

Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

In addition to what the others have said, you might want to get tested for Celiac Disease -- it's just a blood test, but make sure your doctor knows which ab's to test for. My mother had no symptoms at all when she was diagnosed. If you'd rather not go to the doctor, eliminate gluten from your diet and see how you feel -- that's usually a pretty good indicator.

Good luck,
Inq

Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inquirer
In addition to what the others have said, you might want to get tested for Celiac Disease -- it's just a blood test, but make sure your doctor knows which ab's to test for. My mother had no symptoms at all when she was diagnosed. If you'd rather not go to the doctor, eliminate gluten from your diet and see how you feel -- that's usually a pretty good indicator.

Good luck,
Inq
you said it my man....iv always felt lousy after this wheat gluten, until i got really sick one day..went to the emergency, they did tests on me and, told me I had celiac disease...it is very hard to diagnose..but, you can also do it on your own by iliminating wheat for a couple weeks and, then eating some of it again..see your reaction. Good luck...Oh and, i feel like iv never felt before..im telling you iliminating it will make you feel fantastic.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

cheers for the comments. don't think its the carbs as i eat all unrefined complex stuff which won't have the same impact on insulin and blood sugar levels. think its prob the gluten issue. seem to get the sympoms lss when i have muesli for breaky (contains wheat but with other grains that are LOWER in gluten than wheat) than when i eat just wholewheat toast. also, asked in my health food store and said that taking papain enzyme with wheat can help break down the gluten and eliminate some of the symptoms. tried it and it has worked a bit. gonna also try baking bread using spelt flour. its an ancient cousin of wheat but is apprantly tolerated better by many. thanks again all.

alex.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
cheers for the comments. don't think its the carbs as i eat all unrefined complex stuff which won't have the same impact on insulin and blood sugar levels. think its prob the gluten issue. seem to get the sympoms lss when i have muesli for breaky (contains wheat but with other grains that are LOWER in gluten than wheat) than when i eat just wholewheat toast. also, asked in my health food store and said that taking papain enzyme with wheat can help break down the gluten and eliminate some of the symptoms. tried it and it has worked a bit. gonna also try baking bread using spelt flour. its an ancient cousin of wheat but is apprantly tolerated better by many. thanks again all.
--alex.
I'm curious what your results will be using papain while consuming gluten-containing foods. All the legitimate celiac websites say that if you truly have an intolerance to gluten, then avoiding gluten is the only way to give your body a "rest" from the substance it can't handle. It may be that you have a milder intolerance than some of us. I avoid spelt because it's a form of wheat -- ancient or no. I choose not to eat anything along with gluten-containing foods, because I haven't seen anything in the celiac websites that indicate that ANY substance can make the body tolerate it better. I hope papain and spelt work for you.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread