It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

Min2003 HB User
Smile Swollen nasal passages - Enlarged Turbinates

Hello About 14 years ago I was advised that I had enlarged turbinates (in both nostrils). The walls in my nose were swollen into small balls... one side of each nostril. It looks like one ball in each nostril. The Dr suggested that I have them cut out. Since I almost died giving birth to my first born (and last) via c-section, I was too scared to have them removed. No surgery for me! Now (14 years later)... they seem to be bothering me more... always swollen! Now, I believe there is laser surgery. I have an appt to meet with an ENT to re-evaluate. What helps me a bit is taking Allegra-D (D means decongestant).
Would love to hear from anyone suffering same and anyone who has had them removed. Thank you! <<sniff sniff>> lol

Old 07-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #2

STAGRE HB User
Re: Swollen nasal passages - Enlarged Turbinates

I haven't been on this board in over a year. Just a little history. I had bone spurs on the septum removed and my turbinates trimmed a little over a year ago. I have non-allergic rhinitis. That means they don't know what I am allergic to except the inside of my own nose maybe I had horrible allergy symptoms for over 7 years, sneezing, and RUNNY nose. My nose would bleed on the outside because I would have to blow it so much. I never felt congested just felt like a water faucet that had been left on. I took every antihistamine known plus steroids for really bad days. They helped for several years and then got to the point where they weren't doing the job. I had to leave work some days because my nose would just pour clear liquid like a faucet. NO ONE wonted to touch anything I had my hands on. Couldn't blame them either I never had a sinus infection during those years, either. It took about a week to fully recover from surgery. I hated using using the syringe to with the saline rinse but I was faithful to the ENT instructuions. For over a year I felt like I was a new person. I think the turbinates are swollen again and I am debating whether to go back to the ENT. I might wait till they start waking me up at night again. To me the surgrey was worth for just this one year of relief. If you have any more questions let me know. I am sorry this is so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

Min2003 HB User
Talking Re: Swollen nasal passages - Enlarged Turbinates

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
I am not as bad as you... but I always try to have tissues on me. Glad to hear that the surgery was worth it. This is what I want to hear!
My questions are...
>your sense of smell... most likely it improved?
>was the surgery painful at all?
Thanks!

Old 07-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #4

STAGRE HB User
Re: Swollen nasal passages - Enlarged Turbinates

I was in a lot of pain the first day or so. But I think that was because I had the splint in my nose. The splint wasn't that big but just felt like a foreign object in the nose that you wanted out immediately! He took that out after 4 or 5 days I think. I can't stand for my nose to be messed with After the splint came out I was fine. My sense of smell has never never been diminished, even with the allergies. I actually think I have a hyper sense of smell and always have. I smell things 2 days before anyone else It wasn't that bad and I will do it again if I have to. I think most of the pain came from the trimming of the bone spurs. He thought it was just a deviated septum but he was surprised when he got in there. I don't think trimming of the trubinates would be nearly as bad. My nose wasn't swollen or anything. I hated wearing the little gauze pad thingie under my nose. It was just a pain in the butt to wear. Of course I might be a little vain also. I definitely would not go anywhere with it on my face. I think I was out of work for maybe 2 or 3 days. I had the surgery on a Wednesday or Thursday and was back at work on Monday. I work behind a desk so I didn't have to worry about lifting or anything.

Closed Thread