It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

Yikes777 HB User
Zyrtec and anxiety?

Hello.

Has anyone had any experience with taking Zyrtec if you have anxiety? Since becomming ill, I have a hard time with several medications that never bothered me in the past. I tried Allegra and it gave me the worst panic attacks. Most Doctors say that is not possible, but a psychologist I have seen says it is very possible.

I am supposed to take 10 mg every evening and 10 mg of Singulair in the morning.

If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear.

Thanks and stay safe!!

J

Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 PM   #2

Zeethan HB User
Re: Zyrtec and anxiety?

I was given and RX for Singulair last year when I was experiencing alot of anxiety and allergy symptoms. Did you read all the possible side effects of Singulair? I believe I read that it may cause anxiety, check with your doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I would also check the possible side effects of Singulair. But as a side note, why are you taking singulair in the morning? Singulair is supposed to be taken at night, especially if you have asthma.

Also, did your panic attacks start with your allergy problems? I ask because I had Sino-bronchial syndome which is when sinus drainage drips into your chest and constricts your bronchial tubes. The symptoms are similar to panic attacks, shortness of breath and chest tightness.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
I would also check the possible side effects of Singulair. But as a side note, why are you taking singulair in the morning? Singulair is supposed to be taken at night, especially if you have asthma.

Also, did your panic attacks start with your allergy problems? I ask because I had Sino-bronchial syndome which is when sinus drainage drips into your chest and constricts your bronchial tubes. The symptoms are similar to panic attacks, shortness of breath and chest tightness.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Hello. Thanks for the replies. Actually the anxiety did start at about the same time as my illness. My chest usually feels very clear, but occasionally I have a slight cough.

As for the Singulair, I don't know why she wants me to take it in the morning. She said that she wants to try a two pronged approach. My ears have been popping and causing my balance to be off. When she looked into my sinuses she said there didn't seem to be any infection, just alot of thick mucus (which I have been hearing from 3 other ENTs with no plan on what may be causing it or what to do about it).

I'll look into the Singulair. I am thinking of trying the Zyrtec tonight, but after the problem I had with Allegra I'm a little concerned. This is so very odd. One year ago I could take anything, but now everything seems to cause a problem. I had the same thing with Flonase. I take it with no fear, but sometimes the jittery feeling turns into panic and when I get the meds out of my system it calms down.

Thanks again!!

J

Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeethan
I was given and RX for Singulair last year when I was experiencing alot of anxiety and allergy symptoms. Did you read all the possible side effects of Singulair? I believe I read that it may cause anxiety, check with your doctor!

Thank you. I checked with her and she said "maybe". I have had such terriblr luck with these people. Maybe it's just me, but some of them seem way too overworked and talk over their shoulder as they are leaving for the next patient. LOL

Thanks again,

J

Old 07-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

My chest always felt clear too. I didn't have a productive cough or anything. My first clue that there was gunk in my chest was during a pulmonary function test, where I had to run on a treadmill for over 7 minutes. I had a productive cough afterwards for a few minutes. My primary doctor told me I had anxiety. But my allergist suspected the sino-bronchial syndrome based on my sinus problems. A CT scan of my sinuses confirmed it.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
(male)

dc1234 HB User

I don't know if I have anxiety or not... but I had a few panic attacks before starting Zyrtec. I was prescribed Xanax for the attacks but never took it because they didn't come back. So, I'm taking Zyrtec, 20-30 mg a day and don't really have any problems with panic attacks or anything.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #9

catch22catch22 HB User

Hi there, my son is plagued with allergies including life threating food allergies. I have had hit or miss experiences with some of the allergists if you feel that the allergist is being rather off handed, you may want to look into finding one who:

A: Listens and you feel absolutely comfortable with

B: would not give you an answer of maybe while you are feeling rushed.

It may take a little time to find the right fit, but in the long run it is worth it.

My son has a multitude of medical issues, and a couple of them are pretty rare. But one thing I have learned is, you need to find the right fit or it just does not work. Remember these Dr.s are working for you, not the other way around.

You will always be your best advocate, but it also helps if you have a great general Dr. and great specilists who you are comfortable with and who take the time to listen, and help you find the right answers. It does make a world of difference.

hope this helps, good luck.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 AM   #10

Yuzu HB User

I was prescribed Onon (a singulair-like leukotriene inhibitor) by my doctor in Japan last summer for similar reasons. (Onon isn't available in the U.S. as far as I know, but it was one of the first leukotriene inhibitors ever prodcued.) It helped me allergies and asthma amazingly -- but caused the most severe anxiety I have ever experienced. It was truly unbearable. My anxiety went away completely two days after quitting the drug. I am now afraid to try all leukotrine inhibitors. Also, anxiety was not listed as a side effect of the drug, but a few of the doctors I've mentioned it to since have reassured me that, although my case was unusual, it was not unheard of.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #11
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzu
I was prescribed Onon (a singulair-like leukotriene inhibitor) by my doctor in Japan last summer for similar reasons. (Onon isn't available in the U.S. as far as I know, but it was one of the first leukotriene inhibitors ever prodcued.) It helped me allergies and asthma amazingly -- but caused the most severe anxiety I have ever experienced. It was truly unbearable. My anxiety went away completely two days after quitting the drug. I am now afraid to try all leukotrine inhibitors. Also, anxiety was not listed as a side effect of the drug, but a few of the doctors I've mentioned it to since have reassured me that, although my case was unusual, it was not unheard of.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #12
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I'm Glad I heard from you. For whatever reason I have a similiar reaction to these meds. One Dr that I have seem recently said that because my system has become so sensitive I will be in the 1% that reacts this way. I will stay away from the Singulair as I'm sure this will cause a problem. Any Ideas on what is a good med to take. Clarinex is very well tolerated for me, but I don't think it's strong enough. I have some relief, but not great relief. I'm also using a neti pot, which to me sounded strange but I think it's helping!

Thanks again and any help will be great.

J

Closed Thread