It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #1

LaniR304 HB User
Question Tomato allergy--problem even without consuming it?

I had allergy testing initially done about 4 years ago. At that time, I was told that I had reacted to tomatoes (along with a bunch of weeds, molds, grasses, etc.). I had never had a problem with a tomato before, and frequently ate salsa, bruchetta, and other tomato products (fresh and canned)--also allergic to red wine and bee stings...so have an Epi-Pen and Benedryl always with me.
At one point, about a year ago, I noticed that I would start coughing and clearing my throat when I was eating fresh tomatoes. I tried to avoid them, but out of habit, I would forget, and have the same problem again. After reheating veggie pizza I realized that it was the fresh/raw tomato that I had problems with (as I had eaten the pizza the night before and had a problem, then the next day I reheated it, and figured it must of cooked the tomato enough not to cause a problem).
After seeing my allergist for my yearly appointment (get allergy injections too), I mentioned the tomato problem and she looked in my chart and told me that based upon my initial skin testing I had a severe tomato allergy.
Now, it had gotten to the point where I have problems (mild to moderate--usually require me to take at least a little bit of Benedryl) if I eat food that had touched a raw tomato and think I can tell if the person making my food at a restaurant has handled cut up tomatoes and then made my food (mainly with salads) because I get mild-moderate symptoms too.
At work today, I chose not to order out for lunch as the place the food was coming from I had problems with previously. It was Mexican food and there were containers of fresh salsa sitting all around while people munched. I noticed that my face was itchy and my nose too. The thought crossed my mind that it was the salsa, but I moved away from it and I was fine. Then I ended up getting closer to the open containers again, and the same thing happened. Didn't notice any change in my breathing or anything. I looked in the mirror a few times, but didn't notice any red areas on my face.
Then later, I was in a different area, and there was a container of salsa which had a lid on it, they someone took off the lid and the itchy feeling on my face, along with a slight tingle on my lip came on again--everything was quite mild...but just enough for me to notice.
Could I have been having a reaction to the salsa (tomato) even though I didn't consume any of it? I didn't even have a chip in case there was some salsa juice or something that may have dripped inside the bag.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
(female)

Rainstorm55 HB User
Re: Tomato allergy--problem even without consuming it?

Allergies can pop up at any time -- in fact, you're more likely to be allergic to something if you've had it before. For years and years of my childhood I ate tomatoes. They were pretty much my favorite food; then, all of a sudden, when I was about 12, I ate a raw tomato and had a very bad reaction. I also have that problem with deli-type things -- I can't order sandwiches because I've had several allergic reactions that happen because someone has touched tomato before they ate it. It's hard.

Anyway, about the salsa -- I have heard of people getting anaphalaxis through just smelling peanuts or tomatoes, and because of that my Mom actually had me sit at an isolated table in elementary school in case someone was eating Peanut Butter & Jelly. However, it has never happened to me, and anaphalaxis usually affects your breathing, I think. You might want to ask your allergist, though.

I'm kind of leaning towards the fact that maybe you touched something you were allergic too and then touched your face. Did you touch anything you could've been allergic too?

Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #3

LaniR304 HB User

Don't think I touched anything I was allergic to. I work in a hosital, and I used to think that I was allergic to the powder in the latex gloves, as I had once gotten a red handprint on my arm after someone took off gloves and then touched me. Didn't think it was latex as powder free gloves were fine (I think--ot was several years ago). But, now there are a few employees who have serious latex allergies so not latex is stored/used on the unit...so no more glove powder.
Nothing else that I think I would have touched my face with--plus try not to touch my face unless I have just washed my hands...lots of germs! And the food that I ate was nothing out of the ordinary. Was there again today and was completley fine.
Will call the allergist office tomorrow, if I remember, and see what they think. It is just so frustrating having food allergies...when you go out to eat, you are putting your life into the hands of a complete stranger, and no matter how much you stress the importance of absolutely not contact, they usually can't handle it.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #4

LaniR304 HB User

Talked to the allergist office today. The nurse told me that the doc said that it was a possibility, but she asked me more about my allergy when I eat the raw tomato and when I was around the salsa this weekend. She called me back and said that doctor wants me to carry an Epi-Pen around all the time (duh...they always tell me that...and I always have one) and to get a medic-alert bracelet--she was going to mail me a form for one. I didn't think I had any other food allergy testing done, but she read off the list of everything they had tested me for and I had been...only thing is the tomato!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #5

Tina09621 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniR304
I had allergy testing initially done about 4 years ago. At that time, I was told that I had reacted to tomatoes (along with a bunch of weeds, molds, grasses, etc.). I had never had a problem with a tomato before, and frequently ate salsa, bruchetta, and other tomato products (fresh and canned)--also allergic to red wine and bee stings...so have an Epi-Pen and Benedryl always with me.
At one point, about a year ago, I noticed that I would start coughing and clearing my throat when I was eating fresh tomatoes. I tried to avoid them, but out of habit, I would forget, and have the same problem again. After reheating veggie pizza I realized that it was the fresh/raw tomato that I had problems with (as I had eaten the pizza the night before and had a problem, then the next day I reheated it, and figured it must of cooked the tomato enough not to cause a problem).
After seeing my allergist for my yearly appointment (get allergy injections too), I mentioned the tomato problem and she looked in my chart and told me that based upon my initial skin testing I had a severe tomato allergy.
Now, it had gotten to the point where I have problems (mild to moderate--usually require me to take at least a little bit of Benedryl) if I eat food that had touched a raw tomato and think I can tell if the person making my food at a restaurant has handled cut up tomatoes and then made my food (mainly with salads) because I get mild-moderate symptoms too.
At work today, I chose not to order out for lunch as the place the food was coming from I had problems with previously. It was Mexican food and there were containers of fresh salsa sitting all around while people munched. I noticed that my face was itchy and my nose too. The thought crossed my mind that it was the salsa, but I moved away from it and I was fine. Then I ended up getting closer to the open containers again, and the same thing happened. Didn't notice any change in my breathing or anything. I looked in the mirror a few times, but didn't notice any red areas on my face.
Then later, I was in a different area, and there was a container of salsa which had a lid on it, they someone took off the lid and the itchy feeling on my face, along with a slight tingle on my lip came on again--everything was quite mild...but just enough for me to notice.
Could I have been having a reaction to the salsa (tomato) even though I didn't consume any of it? I didn't even have a chip in case there was some salsa juice or something that may have dripped inside the bag.
Tomato is my worst allery, but when tested by an Allergist it did not even register. It has been getting worst and worst, even that I have not eaten anything with Tomatoes. When I go shopping I read all labels, because sometimes you don't even expect having tomato as an ingredient, such as cheese dip, Chicken noodel soup and so on. I even got itchy and swollen from washing the dishes, which had a little partical of spagetti sauce. When I go to Restaurants I tell the Waiters to speak with the Chef and let him know that none of my food can get in contact with even a drop of tomato juice. I even tell them that if it would happen that I have to go to the Emergency room, because many poeple don't realize how dangerous it could be. I miss Pizza a lot, but now I order Pizza with white sauce and take a pill anyway, because I am also allergic to yeast which is in the dough.
good luck

Old 08-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #6

LaniR304 HB User

No tomatoes at all!!! I am so sorry. I was quite happy to find out (by accident) that cooked tomatoes were fine. Although, I am very careful with thing such as store-bought salsa as I don't want to risk it not having the tomatoes processed enough. I think what I miss most is salsa...but I have a very good recipe for salsa with canned tomatoes. And I am fine with tomato sauce and stuff.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
(female)

Rainstorm55 HB User

Same thing with me, actually - tomato sauce on pizza or spagetti is fine. I'm sorry that you're allergic to all tomatoes - that must be really bad.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I can't answer your question, but I too have a newly diagnosed tomato allergy. And I have also noticed that cooked tomatos seem okay while raw ones are not. Even so, I don't eat as much tomato sauce as I used too.

Closed Thread