It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Treatment for my condition: What to do?

Ok--

Here's my problem. I will try to write it as simply as I can.

Since I have no health insurance I have went to my University for Dr. care/advice. Last Thurs I saw a dr and he said I had "allergies". Then, my symptoms were a clear thick sometimes whitish nasal discharge, and itchy watery burning eyes and ear canals. He prescribed a steroid and a decongestant and said I would be like new in 2 days, tops. He said the steroid (Methlyprednisone) is the strongest of it's kind. Well, there I was 2 days later not better, and now with thick bright yellow mucus. Not much facial pressure yet, and though the itching was going away, I still couldn't seem to blow out the mucus...I would go to blow my nose and it felt like it was stuck in there, and then my nose will actually whistle/squaek when trying. So I went back to the Dr yesterday but this time it's a different one, you can't request who you see, you just see who is there.

This dr listened to my lungs and said they were clear, and I was not wheezing so he just hands me a prescription for Doxycycline (100mg which I've been on this same dosage of this same medicine back in May--different dr mind you but it really didn't seem to help that much) and a different decongestant. His reasoning for this was that I had complained of a slight burning/tightness in my chest and that was on Sat, hadn't had it since then too much just a bit sore/achy on Monday...he said it may be bronchitis that "hasn't broken up" yet....and the antibiotic was "just in case" my condition may be bacterial.....

I don't see the good in taking an antibiotic just in case of something...aren't they rather strong drugs you should only take if needed?? I explained to him how often I have this condition #1 and how recently (and how long which was 1 month) i was on antibiotics before) and he said it would be fine. And, #2 I asked him about the first diagnosis from the other doc about allergies...he says he disagrees since I am not "wheezing'. This seems odd to me, as I know you don't *have* to be wheezing to have allergies do you??

And now my eyes are still a bit itchy and irritated, and though the mucus amount has decreased some, unfortunately today I am now coughing up all kinds of yellow mucus...so I did some online research of my own, and I see that chronic siunitis (I know I have that already) can mimic symptoms of bronchitis but many times both conditions are treated w/ antibiotics. I just don't know about taking doxycycline so soon to me that seems bad. I was on that for a whole month from May - June and it took a good while to feel better. Symptoms were pretty much the same as they are now, just feeling horribly weak and coughing up yellow stuff w/ bad sinus pressure (the facial pain that I usually get w/ an infection has started last night, I had to lay down and sleep to deal with it, I could not walk at all, it felt like my nose was broken...)

So my dilema is, after tomorrow I'll be out of the regular prescription the 1st dr gave me and if i'm not better should I fill this other dr's prescriptions or wait in line w/ all the hacking sick ppl (I'm scared i'll catch something since the steroids lower your immunity to stuff that's contagious!) and go see the 1st doc I saw on Thurs (the only day he's in).

What should I do???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Treatment for my condition: What to do?

Wow! I gotta say I think the first doctor is on the right track and the second doctor is an idiot. Saying you can't have allergies b/c you aren't wheezing is ridiculous. Not everyone with allergies has asthma!

What has probably happened is the steroid shrunk down your sinuses so that all the gunk stuck up there now is finally able to drain. It is draining so well, that it is going into your chest. It is possible you have some sinusitis/bronchitis, but allergy mucus can get look rather yellow too, especially if it isn't allowed to drain and becomes real thick. But even if you do have some sinusitis, Doxycycline is not the best antibiotic for it IMO. You would need something stronger. Remind the doctor when you see him that you were on doxycycline for a month and it didn't work very well.

My advice is to hold off on the antibiotic Rx and go get some Mucinex to help thin out the mucus that is draining. Also, try saline nasal irrigation. Even if it hasn't helped much in the past, now that your sinuses are more open, it will be much more sucessful. At the very least, get a saline nasal spray and spray it up there as often as you can.

Once you complete the steroid, you should be prescribed a steroid nasal spray and an antihistimine to keep your allergies under control.

Good luck!

Last edited by sneezydiva; 09-20-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Thanks for the advice, Sneezy!

Today is going much better than yesterday...though I do have thick nasal discharge, it isn't colored, it's almost going back to the way it was (thin and clear, it's just thick this morning) but thank God the head pain has subsided. I know it's sinus related because of the awful facial pain i'm getting now...my nose felt like someone broke it! But today I feel a lot better.

I also have an Rx for amoxcilin that the nurse practitioner there gave me a few weeks ago. My aunt seemed to think I should get that one filled, being it's worked better in the past for me than the other antibiotic. But I agree, another decongestant and an antibiotic aren't what I need at this point. I could go tomorrow and see that 1st dr. that seemed to be on the right track, but I hope I continue to improve on my own.

I was wondering..if I can use the saline and get the nose cleaned out, and I were to rest up and get lots of sleep and drink lots of water, if I eat a LOT of yogurt (probiotics) would that help me heal from the infection on my own? I know that probiotics won't kill bacteria in there, though....but perhaps it would help my immune system kick in and then I could get over it on my own? Would this work?

Old 09-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Honestly if you do have an infection, I think you are going to need an antibiotic. Probiotics are helpful for a lot of things, but I don't think they will kill the infection. It would be better to use it to prevent a new infection, once you get this one cleared up.

Have you tried the Mucinex and the saline yet?

Please see the first doctor tomorrow if you can. In addition to making sure whether or not you have an infection, he can prescribe you some allergy meds.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yes, Sneezy I have tried the Saline and Mucinex (startedit today and coughing is gone already...) the saline has helped to thin things out, though I haven't stopped blowing my nose totally however I feel better--a lot better. No more head pain and no more bloody mucus at all! I think it may be possible I can get over this one on my own though I know if it IS an infection it'll come back, but as of now I feel much better.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Good! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Closed Thread