It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
Allergies To Cigarette Smoke???

It has taken me some time to finally realize that after many years of suffering with allergies that I have concluded that I have an allergy to Cigarette Smoke. After having my first child at the age of 17, my body chemistry had changed dramatically. Thats when things went down hill for me. I had developed allergies. I never have had any problems with allergies before in my life. I lived with my parents for a few years after having my son. They are both heavy smokers. I was constantly getting sick. From ear infections, upper respiratory infections, strep throat, upper sinus infections, to bronchitis, etc. I also suffer from chronic headaches and migraines. These headaches and migraines are part of my allergies and part of them is contributed from stress. It wasn't until recently untill I realized why I was always getting sick. I havn't been living with my parents for 4 years now. I am not a smoker myself and nether is my husband. I am a waitress at a resturant who has a smoking section. I get the smoking section on a regular basis. I notice when I work in this section I get flare-ups. It usually starts off with a really bad headache. Now, not all brands of cigarettes cause me to get sick, but there are many brands though that do cause me to get sick. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this???

Last edited by AngelOfLight82; 09-25-2005 at 10:01 PM.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Allergies To Cigarette Smoke???

You can't be allergic to cigrette...not to say that isn't what's making you sick though. Cigrette Smoke is just an iritatant...iritattes your bronchial tubes, sinus, etc... Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I've been told!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

angel_light HB User

I was told by my dr. that I am allergic to cigarette smoke. It irritates the heck out of me, makes me sick all over. Gives me a nice headache that knocks me right down. My father is a smoker and did not always smoke outside as he does now, but I noticed when I lived with my parents I would have more sinus headaches, infections etc. Esp. in the winter because my father would smoke at our fireplace, and I would like to sit at the fireplace.
It could just be the part of the US. that I lived in, but since I moved out a year ago I have only been sick once (flu) of which I caught from someone at work. I went a year without though. Coincidence? I do not know.

I could be wrong, but then why would my dr. tell me such a thing.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfLight82
Now, not all brands of cigarettes cause me to get sick, but there are many brands though that do cause me to get sick. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this???
I also react worse to certain brands of cigarettes. I have become very sensitive to cigarette smoke and can react badly to just the smoke in someone's hair or clothing hours after they've last smoked.

According to the National Cancer Institute there are about 4,000 chemical agents in cigarette smoke. If you are allergic or sensitive to just 1% of the chemicals in cigarette smoke that means that there are 40 chemical agents making a combined and significant attack on your system.

Here is the link to the NCI article:

http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/10_14.htm

From the article:

"Cigarette smoke contains about 4,000 chemical agents, including over 60 carcinogens (8). In addition, many of these substances, such as carbon monoxide, tar, arsenic, and lead, are poisonous and toxic to the human body. Nicotine is a drug that is naturally present in the tobacco plant and is primarily responsible for a personís addiction to tobacco products, including cigarettes. During smoking, nicotine is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and travels to the brain in a matter of seconds. Nicotine causes addiction to cigarettes and other tobacco products that is similar to the addiction produced by using heroin and cocaine (9)."

Old 09-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_light
but since I moved out a year ago I have only been sick once (flu) of which I caught from someone at work. I went a year without though. Coincidence?

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. Like I said when I lived with my parents I was sick all the time. To make it worse I worked in a hospital at the time. I worked with really sick patients and cancer patients. These patients would come it with everything. In this same time frame I even got shingles. You don't ever want to experience that, it really sucks. Anyways, I was always sick. Everyone at work started to believe I was a hypochondriac. I called out of work a lot due to feeling like cr@p (if you know what I mean). Now its been years later and I have my own place. I'm hardly ever sick...until now. I have had bronchitis, chest pain (due to bronchitis), bladder infection, and now this!!! I work at a resturant that has a fire place. They light up the fire place during the winter season. My doctor believes I got my bronchitis from breathing in all of the smoke for the fire place. I don't know, allergies really sucks if you ask me. I also suffer from negitive pressure in both of my ears. I don't know what causes this. My ears also always keeps fluid behind my eardrum from taking showers. As soon as I get out I tilt my head and use a q-tip to catch the water in my ears. Sometimes this helps a little. I do how ever feel very strongly about having allergies to cigarette smoke. And yes, it is possible to have allergies to cigarette smoke.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Smoke really affects me also, though I am not sure in my case it is a true allergy or it just irritates my sensitive sinuses. But in either case, a steroid nosespray can really help. Ask your doctor about it. You might also want to irrigate your nose after work to get all the particles you breathed in out of your nose and sinuses.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
(female)

smokebgone HB User
Angry Re: Allergies To Cigarette Smoke???

I am convinced that I am seriously allergic to cigarette smoke! I live in Madrid, Spain, which has a big smoking culture. Everywhere I go the air is polluted by either cigarette smoke or exhaust - immediately when I walk out of my apartment there are tons of people in the streets smoking and walking, at the bus stops, train stations, RESTAURANTS, BARS, CLUBS, ETC...

I will be leaving Spain anyway, and hope that this will help my condition.

It seems that I am always sick - usually triggered by heavily smoke-filled environments - I have been sick for weeks at a time about 3 times in the last 3 months.

Apart from the allergy/problem itself, it has been affecting my social life a great deal. I have to always insist on eating out in non-smoking environments, which are not so common here.

By the way, yes, certain brands/kinds of cigarettes do not affect me as much - usually the loose tobacco brands or more 'natural' with less additives, etc.

Last night I could barely sleep due to excessive coughing - especially worse when I lie down.

PS: I used to smoke cigarettes socially. Now I am ready to start an anti-smoking campaign. I can't even understand why or how I used to smoke. It is completely disgusting and in my (completely biased) opinion, it shows that one has no respect for themselves, their lives, their bodies and the people/loved ones around them. Please pardon the harshness... I am just very tired of being sick.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

kilmartin HB User

hi of course your affected by smoke the chemcals in them are lethal thought you knew that , stay well away from them and other chemicals in cleaning products , I have MCS a very debilitating illness caused by chemicals, meaning all perfumes, cleaners, air fresheners, cigarette and other smoke, inks for newspapers ,paint, petrol fumes, the lot , this illness is incurable, so stay well away from all these toxic things please. have a read about effects of MCS too.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My son and I have severe allergies to pollutants and cigarette smoke. This condition was labeled as Vasomotor rhinitus. You can treat it in a similar fashion as other allergies, you just can not take allergy shots to build up your immunities. Treatment Nasonex proven best, in conjunction with Zrytec and Singular. I wish you the best at finding your own solution.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-18-2007 at 07:02 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
(female)

teresazab HB User
Question Re: Allergies To Cigarette Smoke???

I thought I was going bonkers! So glad (and sorry) to hear I'm not alone...

Yes, I react differently to certain brands of cigarettes. And, I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarettes on smokers who walk past my office after a cig break.

Do desktop air cleaners help? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids View Post
I also react worse to certain brands of cigarettes. I have become very sensitive to cigarette smoke and can react badly to just the smoke in someone's hair or clothing hours after they've last smoked.

According to the National Cancer Institute there are about 4,000 chemical agents in cigarette smoke. If you are allergic or sensitive to just 1% of the chemicals in cigarette smoke that means that there are 40 chemical agents making a combined and significant attack on your system.

Here is the link to the NCI article:

[url]http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/10_14.htm[/url]

From the article:

"Cigarette smoke contains about 4,000 chemical agents, including over 60 carcinogens (8). In addition, many of these substances, such as carbon monoxide, tar, arsenic, and lead, are poisonous and toxic to the human body. Nicotine is a drug that is naturally present in the tobacco plant and is primarily responsible for a personís addiction to tobacco products, including cigarettes. During smoking, nicotine is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and travels to the brain in a matter of seconds. Nicotine causes addiction to cigarettes and other tobacco products that is similar to the addiction produced by using heroin and cocaine (9)."

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmartin View Post
hi of course your affected by smoke the chemcals in them are lethal thought you knew that , stay well away from them and other chemicals in cleaning products , I have MCS a very debilitating illness caused by chemicals, meaning all perfumes, cleaners, air fresheners, cigarette and other smoke, inks for newspapers ,paint, petrol fumes, the lot , this illness is incurable, so stay well away from all these toxic things please. have a read about effects of MCS too.
I read you have MCS. How do you live with this? I have read books, but I can't be around anything. If someone else even showers that morning I can't handle it that evening. Every where I go there is a scent!! Are you on any medication? I am stuck in my home all the time. Headaches, right side of body pains, arm feels like someone beat me up, sick to my stomach. This will last for hours. Tried Topamax, and now Pamalor for the brain. Does not work. Does detoxing your body help? Can't work so now that is something else to deal with. Any test that can say yes you do have this. Getting the round around from doctors. Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

OMG yes you can have allergies to smoke. It is proven by doctors. The thing is... because Cigarette Smoke is so full poison and chemicals and bad, lots of people have reactions to it even if they don’t have allergies. But with allergies, you immune system attacks it like a virus

Where as normal people, it builds up in their body, and causes illness. With allergies, it jsut needs to touch your nose and you react. Its the smell, it gets in your nose/mouth.. just like with someone smelling peanuts, or perfume with allergies. If you had allergies to animals, would you work in a pet store? I would think about getting away from it, because unlike most people you can’t just go “eww that stinks and burns my lungs, but oh well I will ignore it”

your body says "ahh virus, kill attack!!! must fight it" that could be a good thing for your body, keep you away from something that is really bad, not like cute little puppies, that are not bad for you but you can't have anything to do with because your body thinks its going to invade your body and try to kill you. lol what a mean puppy eh? lol

Last edited by miyu; 08-30-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #13
(male)

bjlauder HB User

It may be a bit academic, but I've been told that you cannot be "allergic" to smoke. I am a long time sufferer, with both allergies and sensitivities. Allergies come from living matter that the body mistakes for a viral invasion. These allergens include pollen, dust mite and dander among other things. Sensitivity to smoke is slightly different. The body does not attack it, but becomes irritated by it. I am sensitive to smoke and certain materials like paint. For me, the difference is minimal, but I tend to be able to escape my sensitivities. My allergies, once triggered, do not go away so easily.

Doctors, especially those unfamiliar with allergies, tend to identify both as allergic reactions. That being said, Iíve never been able to use an antihistamine to treat my sensitivities. So, Iím of the opinion that doctors must really be careful with this issue and avoid confusing the two conditions.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I have a Perfume allergy and Im currently on Singuliar,Flonase and Claritin. They dont help the perfume allergy. I think its more a chemical sensitivity. Is there any treatment out there for chemical sensitivitys??? This is making it very hard to function because almost everyone wears perfume.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

yes I have a perfume allergy too. I'm sure one day they will come out with some kind of med for things that are not "alive" but affect your allergies badly. I know there are so many different allergy pills and as my doctor says they all treat allergies differently, which is why for somepeople one kind works and for others it does not.

Closed Thread