It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Nasacort and Zyrtec - Questions

Anyone try these? What are your experiences? Side effects?? Is a steriod spray really ok to use everyday forever??

Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Nasacort and Zyrtec - Questions

Cheers, I believe I told you some of this before. I use Zyrtec and love it...no side effects for me though it does make some people drowsy so you might try it at night at first. As for the Nasacort, I haven't used it but I did use Rhinocort when it was available in an inhaler and loved it...no problems there. I also have asthma and use a daily steriod inhaler for that (flovent) and have had no problems. Knowing the allergies you have, you may not have to use them all the time...just when those things are growing. In the dead of winter you probably won't need them much. I don't except at Christmas when I insist on a real tree...it just isn't Christmas without one! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
Cheers, I believe I told you some of this before. I use Zyrtec and love it...no side effects for me though it does make some people drowsy so you might try it at night at first. As for the Nasacort, I haven't used it but I did use Rhinocort when it was available in an inhaler and loved it...no problems there. I also have asthma and use a daily steriod inhaler for that (flovent) and have had no problems. Knowing the allergies you have, you may not have to use them all the time...just when those things are growing. In the dead of winter you probably won't need them much. I don't except at Christmas when I insist on a real tree...it just isn't Christmas without one! Good luck!
Once again..thank you so much...

That is one thing I am wondering about. He wrote these Rxs to take them EVERYday. I was hoping for something to take when I am having trouble. I took half of a zyrtec about 2 hours before bed last night and I was a ZOMBIE!! I have other sedating meds to take at night as well (propranolol and klonopin). So the thought of all three together...man...

I guess I am suppose to take a pulmonary function test at my next appt. He suspects slight asthma. I know that most asthma meds have stimulants..since I cannot have stimulants..what would I take IF I ever did have an asthma problem?? I worry about this because my grandma actually died from an asthma attack.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

carltongal HB User

I took Nasacort from may until now, the doc said its fine to just stop taking it, but i cut down slowly cause i wasnt sure, but its not bad to take, just make sure you get the stuff all in, like tilt your head back a bit after you spray, cause i find sometimes it tends to come back out a bit, for me atleast
Carletongal

Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cheers:
I also have asthma. The daily med is a steroid and it is to keep your asthma under control. The rescue inhaler (or bronchialdialator) is an "upper"...albuterol. But there is no other way to stop an attack...and if you are truly having an asthma attack, the side effects are minimal because the drug is focused on the attack. Now, if you truly aren't having one or are not about to do cardio or something along those lines (jogging,etc) then you will have issues...oooh! Hate it when that happens! But hopefully the daily med will control your symptoms enough that you won't need the albuterol. I jog so I have to use it....anyway, your doc can work all this out for you. Not to fear! Keep us posted...

Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Steroid sprays should be used everyday in order to prevent allergic reactions. They do not work so much as a treatment, but as a prevention. You can limit use to a particular pollen or mold season if you want, but if you have year round problems, you should use it year round.

Zyrtec has never caused me problems, but some people do get drowsy. Many times the body adjusts after a few days on it. But if it is too much for you, you might want to ask about Allegra, which is less drowsy.

Closed Thread