It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

Travelg HB User
Question sulfa allergies&food

help with sulfa allergy

Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

Travelg HB User
Re: sulfa allergies&food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelg
help with sulfa allergy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you should not take them,,,nor celebrex or bextra....though I think bextra is off the market now.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

Travelg HB User

Thank you for that information. There are many drugs on the market that contain sulfa. If I am not mistaken, anti-fungals are another group. Someone told me that there are certain plants that contain the same kind of 'sulfa' that is in medications in plants too. So far I have the names of plants with 'sulfur'. What I am looking for is to see if they change to sulfonamides, not sulfites, which is the cause of the medication allergy. I could still be allergic to the plant's sulfur, but I was never allergy tested for that. So I am still looking.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Hmm...interesting. Both my sister and I are allergic to sulfa drugs but have never been told to look out for other things, plants, etc. And I don't recall any prpblems that might be traced to the plants. The only reason I know about the Celebrex and Bextra connection is because my doctor told me I had to take Vioxx because of the allergy. Doing reseach, I found that to be the case. Of course, this was several years back when they all were on the market. And I was only told that some antibiotics had sulfa in them and that I should be careful about them (as well as anything in the penicillin, tetracycline and mycin groups as I am allergic to them as well). What else should I be on the watch for?

Old 10-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #6

Murphy HB User
Cool Re: sulfa allergies&food

Trav: I wondered abt the same thing. Don't know abt plants but my Pharm.
explained that sulfonamides were 1st shorted to `sulfony' & then called
`sulfa's' which confused everyone now. Rx's use sufonamide-sulfa's that can
give U hives & even worse if allergic. The sulfa used to dry foods like dried
apricots, fruits, etc. is not a sulfony. It is in a different category. But if U R
allergic to dried fruits treated w/ sulfur=sulfa, then you'll have a problem.
Food sulfer & Rx sulfa are 2 different things. All rx diuretics & most BP meds
have sulfonamide & many types have U increase potassium which is in dried
apricots. I'm allergic to rx-sulfa but need diuretic. There is only 1 made &
was developed in the 60's that by special request, manufacturer brought
back to market. I got very lucky. Make sure U carry card if U have this allergy
or an emergency-rm might kill you.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I've had allergic reactions to drugs containing sulfas and also food containing sulfites/sulfates. I'm not sure I understand your concern of plants, unless you are talking about food plants (fruits & vegetables). They used to treat the foods at salad bars, & fruits & vegetable in the grocery with sulfites to keep them fresh, but that use has been banned due to this severe allergy in people.
I find it easier just to avoid food additives that contain anything in the "sulf" family. I can tolerate a small amount, with the exception of wine, which makes me violently ill.
Also, a lot of dental anethetics contain them.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
(female)

carltongal HB User

I've been allergic to sulfa drugs since I was 2, and just recently (at 21) found out I am also allergic to sulfites( food preservative) for the sulfa drug allergy I get hives, whereas the sulfites I get swelling in my throat, and have an epipen. I asked my pharmasist what the difference between sulfites and sulfates is and he said I'm fine to eat sulfates becasue that is just a form of salt, So I dont think there is any direct relation between sulfa drugs, and sufites and sulfates, however it is confusing, I guess you just have to know which one you are allergic to and avoid it.
Carletongal

Old 10-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

How confusing! I'm allergic to sulfa drugs but have no trouble with wine and never did with salad bars....

Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #10
(female)

Travelg HB User

Travelg here- I am allergic to sulfa medications (sulfonomides) not sulfites or sulfates. They are different chemicals. If I am not mistaken, some (oral) anti-fungal medications and some kidney medications have 'sulfa' in them. I had come across an article that said the cabbage family and the onion family had the same chemical make up as the medications did. Since I wasn't sure, I started an internet search. So far I have nothing that claims that they are both the same thing, as a matter of fact, they are supposed to be chemically different from each other. What the next task to undertake is what are the chemical structures of these two sulfur compounds to see who is right. One starting place might be the FDA. I haven't had time to try that yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
(female)

Travelg HB User
Thumbs up Re: sulfa allergies&food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelg
Travelg here- I am allergic to sulfa medications (sulfonomides) not sulfites or sulfates. They are different chemicals. If I am not mistaken, some (oral) anti-fungal medications and some kidney medications have 'sulfa' in them. I had come across an article that said the cabbage family and the onion family had the same chemical make up as the medications did. Since I wasn't sure, I started an internet search. So far I have nothing that claims that they are both the same thing, as a matter of fact, they are supposed to be chemically different from each other. What the next task to undertake is what are the chemical structures of these two sulfur compounds to see who is right. One starting place might be the FDA. I haven't had time to try that yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I cannot take Bactrim which is a Sulfate drug (antibiotic) so I have always been told not to take sulfate antibiotics. Oddly enough I was on Celebrex for some time and was never told that this was a Sulfate drug. I do not know of any plants and or natural food etc. that I should stay away from though.

Closed Thread