It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User
Visit to the Allergist.. Questions

Today I went in to my Allergist, the first time since Feb 05. I have broken out in hives for the past week along my sides (like from the bottom of my armpits down to my hips). Im already on clarinex 1x daily, and ranitidine 2x daily.

My allergist drew five (5!) vials of blood, saying that he was going to check for leukotypes or something?! He said he wants to check for the underlying conditions. When I asked the nurse (who was taking the blood) about what im being tested for, she said "everything and anything"...lol Some help!
Anyways, he prescribed me a topical steroid cream for the hives.

Has anybody had this type of bloodwork before? what exactly could he be checking for??

Old 11-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Re: Visit to the Allergist.. Questions

Hello there, just yesterday I had SEVEN tubes of blood drawn I saw the allergist last week. I too would like to know what they are looking for, my fear is that these hives are a symptom of something underlying. I hope that the blood tests are just to rule things out. I have had daily hives for two months. Please don't tell me anything scary anyone, I already petrified.
mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Mary, im sure its not serious. I think our allergists are just ruling things out, like you said.

However, Ive had severe allergies for 25 years (my whole life), and have never had hives that looked like this? They are round and red on the outsides and the middles are kinda pinkish, dry looking.

I should have the results of the bloodwork on Monday they said. I will definately post results (even if they are normal)

Hang in there mary!!

Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

UPDATE:
The allergist called me today and told me my liver blood panel was abnormal. My bilirubin is 1.9 (it shouldnt be any higher than 1.0 and when you reach 3.0 you have a severe case of jaundice). So what does this mean?!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

Funny thing I was just thinking of you this morning and wondering how you where doing. I'm not sure what those results mean, what did he say? Did he think that is what was causing your hives? Today is a week since my tests and I haven't heard anything from my allergist, I do have an appointment with him on the 15th, maybe he's waiting for that to let me know.
Mary

Old 12-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

are you having digestive problems? My bilirubin went up when I had gallstones. Haven't had it checked since I had my gallbladder removed (bilirubin was .7 in Feb '04 and up to 1.6 in Nov '04, gb out in Feb 05) but haven't had that checked since. Maybe I should...

Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
(female)

Hi again, I don't have digestive problems, I have been diagnosed with IBS about four years ago but haven't had any episodes for years. Sometimes I have some acid or gas but that's about it. What did your doctor say, is there something you should be doing about this, is this what is causing your hives?
Mary

Old 12-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts! Well the Doctor (allergist) said its no concern. I made an appointment with my regular Doctor for Friday and am going to bring the results with me and also have him do another blood panel. I find it hard to believe that any liver producing enzyme out of whack is "normal". Plus, I researched that bilirubin on the internet and it said when its elevated, the person will itch. As we speak im resisting the urge to itch..lol

Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

hmmm...I never itched....well, nomore than usual as I have dry skin anyway....

Closed Thread