It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
(male)

lmm23 HB User
Not sure what's happening to me!

Hi everyone, I've been reading the posts today and I'm really sorry so many have problems.

I'm not sure what to do, but I have been referred for food allergy testing since strange things have begun happening recently. I try and best I can to put it down to anxiety, but ever since I started (it seems) taking beta-blockers, food is making me feel bad.

It started when I ate a specific ice-cream (haagan daz). About five minutes into eating it, my tongue tingles and feels like its swelling; I'm overcome with fear and panic (much like the panic attacks I was given the beta-blocker for). I say to myself, 'it's just anxiety' but it seems to come on of its own accord; and it's happened twice now.

The other day I was eating some seeded, brown bread, and I know for a fact that after a few bites I felt extremely tired and wanted to sleep and my head started aching. I have been fine until yesterday (I've not eaten broad bread out of fear, but have been with white it seems), and I ate brown bread. I was OK but after eating it, enormous panic rushed through me, my tongue started to tingle, my stomach felt as thought it was a balloon, I was hot and tired, and I had the feeling that I wanted to be sick. I'm so frightened that this is an allergy, but it makes not sense since I've never had problems before now in 25 years. I even find that after eating certain fruits I become really congested and my glands can feel 'delicate'. I'm not eating anything now, since I'm frightened to eat anything but fresh vegetables and potatoes and fruit.

The best case scenario would be that I had created this thing in my mind, but it is really ruining my life now and I'm not sure what to do. As a result, my anxiety is sky-high - and therein lies my paradox: which is which?! I feel at rock bottom and in constant fear. I don't know what to do and am very frightened about the tongue thing and am hyperventilating a lot because of it.

I would really value some advice or suggestions The GP doesn't have any suggestions. Presumably I am to wait weeks and weeks for an allergy test!

Take care,
Leon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User
Re: Not sure what's happening to me!

beta blockers are good for slowing the heart,i may be wrong but the dont do alot for anxiety like some of the antianxiety meds on the market.i would go get checked out again, it is very possible it is indeed anxiety but dont worry, get food allergies ruled out and go from there.good luck

Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm sorry I don't know a lot about beta blockers, but you might want to check out possible side effects, or even ask if you can just try a different one. tongue tingling is not an anxiety symptom as far as I know. Is the tongue or throat swelling at all? That would be a definite sign of an allergic reaction.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #4

Julia1972 HB User

Hi,

You may find that you will get the same reactions when eating anything containing sugar (even fruit), or yeast.

It sounds like you have a touch of candidiasis, (candida is a yeast). Your body is trying to defend itself against the yeast by launching an attack, causing tingling in the lips of tongue. It may even feel like your lips/tongue are/is swelling and your throat is closing. Don't worry too much about this.

The candida feeds off sugar of any type (fructose, dextrose, sucrose ...etc) so will grow quickly and make you feel worse when you ingest sugar.

There aren't any accurate tests available for candidiasis, and doctors tend not to recognise the condition. Currently, the usual way to test for this is by means of a questionnaire about your symptoms.

It may help if you cut out all sugars (not all at once or this may make you feel extremely tired), yeast (all bread), preservatives, colourings, flavourings ...etc for a while.

Julia

Closed Thread