It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

Whitedov HB User
Long term effects of nasal steroids/nasonex

I have a nasal polyp and was prescribed nasonex. The Dr. didn't want to do surgery and wanted to try this instead. I've been taking this for five years now. I am having severe muscle pains in my legs. My feet are so bad I can barely walk at times. Any chance this is caused by the long term use of the nasal steroid. If I stop taking it I'm afraid the migrains will return.
Any advice is appreciated
Whitedove

Old 01-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Long term effects of nasal steroids/nasonex

You should not be taking a Nasal steriod that long of time! They are horrible. I was taking mine for a long time and began to have pain and sever inflammation on my sinuses, and I got massive headaches. I couldn't figure out what was causing it and got diagnosed with migraines and started taking migraine medication. What do you know, it was the nasal steriod that caused it cause as soon as I stopped about a week later I felt so much better! Stop taking it. You need to see another ENT and hever your nasal polyps looked at better and have them removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

Whitedov HB User

Thank you for the advice. I live in a small town, but I'll see if I can find another ent.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User

You should try taking lower and lower dosages to see what you can get away with. I had horrible allergies with severe nasal swelling for years. All of that trouble went away after a few weeks on Nasonex. Now I take it once a week and that is enough to control the problem. Sure the drug company would like to sell you one every month, that is how they make money. However, you can probably get by on much less.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

Whitedov HB User

I've been taking two puffs in each nostril per day for five years. I've tried to get off it before, but when I do I get horrible sneezing and terrible migrains. Chunks of sticky hard green goo come out of my nose. Thank you all for the advice

Old 01-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov
I've been taking two puffs in each nostril per day for five years. I've tried to get off it before, but when I do I get horrible sneezing and terrible migrains. Chunks of sticky hard green goo come out of my nose. Thank you all for the advice
I took two puffs in each nostril, twice a day, for about ten years, without any problems whatsoever, and it worked great. So...... I guess what that means is: what is one person's poison can be another person's pleasure. I no longer take Nasonex, or any other nasal spray, so I can't say if I would have had a problem if I had stayed on it.

When my sinuses are irritated, because or turbinate swelling, an irritation within my nasal areas, or some other allergic reaction, my discharge will be discolored and slightly thick. However, when I have damage and infection in my nasal membranes, the discharge is thick and chunky, similar to what you experience.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 01-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I know some people have complained of GERD from steroids (both nasal and inhaled). I think this might be happening to me. I've had some serious heartburn in the last few months, and I've sworn off the Rhinocort and Advair.

My throat feels irritated frequently, but it comes and goes. I noticed it was worse after the Rhinocort.

these things can also cause fungal infections of the nose.

as far as muscle pain goes... have you been taking anything other than the nasal steroid? Drugs like Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, Tequin, can cause serious muscle and joint pain.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
(female)

Whitedov HB User

No I have taken no other steroid but nazonex. I had taken it for about seven years

Closed Thread