It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Question Bloody mucus after saline nose spray

Recently my doctor recommended I use saline nose spray after I told him I was concerned about using Afrin and would not use it any more. I bought Simply Saline which does not have all of the chemicals in it that others have.

I have noticed that with on and off use of it for the last two months that it seems to make my mucus drier when I blow my nose and causes some blood to come out. I remember another doctor I saw in the emergency room when getting a nasal cauterization four months ago had told me that saline can actually *cause* nose bleeds?

Has anyone else had this happen or heard anything? If it is true, I will have to quit using that as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

carltongal HB User
Re: Bloody mucus after saline nose spray

I also use saline nose spray and I also get bloody mucus not all the time though but recently I have been getting more, and I think its because of they dryness in my house from winter, I've never heard of saline causing nose bleeds, sorry I couldnt help you with your question, but keep me posted if you find anymore info on it.
Carletongal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

fidget324 HB User

Did you by chance use the hypertonic Simply Saline? I found that the hypertonic formula dries my nose out too much and causes some bloody mucous. The regular Simply Saline doesn't have that effect. Also, make sure that you are not blowing your nose too often or too hard.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

When I make my own saline solution I add 1 or 2 drops plain glycerin to the bottle. This helps keep the saline solution from drying nasal passages too much.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you for your responses everyone.

The Simply Saline I actually use is the aerosol type can of "baby" Simply Saline which I bought because it states right on there "will not damage delicate tissue".

I learned a while back about not blowing the nose hard and do not do that.

I keep Vaseline in my nose throughout the day and over night as well as have a humidifier going approximately 20 hours (all night and most of the day with breaks to give the machine a rest).

Old 01-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had trouble with the Simply Saline product. The bottle just didn't operate well for me. I switched back to Ayr because I feel that the bottle design sprays the solution stronger and further into the sinuses.

Closed Thread