It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

ZZZ16 HB User
could this be a mold toxicity?

Hi-
If you have time to read the following, I could really use some insight as I am trying to diagnose myself (going crazy) and have been to many doctors. I am a 31 year old female. Have always been healthy, up until 2/05 I started having weird symptoms. Some are quite vague, so it makes it hard when going to the doctor to have so many things out of whack.

The reason I am thinking mold is we moved into a new apartment a month before all of this began. We have a front closet which had water damage and some mold spores. when we complained, the management co. came and painted over it. The mold came back, and they painted again. We complained and they gutted the closet and bathroom, and since then the mold has been visibly gone at least. The smell of mold is gone too. I just started reading about toxic mold, and many of the symptoms sound similar.

In feb '05 I started feeling a burning sensation in my forearms - some cramping in the palms. After many tests, I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome. Over the next summer ('05) I started getting vertigo and dizziness from time to time, my neck was really stiff and achey, and was congested for about 6 months (my doc kept saying it was allergies). Finally I was tested (basic panel) and do not have any allergies. The allergist said I likely have chronic sinus infections and gave me 4 rounds of Zithromax. I have never had sinus problems before. The antibiotics seemed to help - vertigo completely cleared up, and congestion is better. However, the final big symptom I have is that I have been nauseaus for about 4 months. It used to be just in the morning and would resolve when I ate something, but now it is more constant. The allergist said the nausea could be from the postnasal drip from the sinus infection. Currently, I have noticed more achiness and cramping in my arms and some in my legs, but not much. My doctor is also wondering about GERD. My energy is good surprizingly!

The tests I have had are an MRI brain (clear), MRI C-spine (minor bulges in neck), EMG (clear), X-rays of chest and neck, blood tests (ANA, glucose, HBA1C, CBC, metabolic panel, H. Pylori), hearing test - all normal. I am scheduled to take the ELISA/ACT test next week for other allergies/immune response.

Therapies I've had: occupational therapy for thoracic outlet syndrome, chiropractor, a little acupuncture.

I am so at the end of my rope, am spending so much on tests, therapies, and nothing is working. I am starting to fear something is severely wrong with my system. It just seems all these random symptoms are happening at once. It is hard for me to believe they are each separate issues.

Could this be a mold toxicicty? IF so, are there any tests to diagnose this? What is the treatment?

If anyone could provide some insight, I would be very grateful!!!

Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: could this be a mold toxicity?

Is there anyway you can get away from the apartment a week or 2? If you feel better away from there, then it very well could be mold or sick building syndrome. And if that's the case get out of there as fast as you can.

although I have confirmed allergies, in jr high, I always felt sick at school. The doctor told my mom it was psychological. A few years ago, the school district had to pay for a massive enviornmental clean-up and remodel for the place because it was identified finally as a sick building.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

ZZZ16 HB User

Thanks sneezydiva! Wow - that's incredible about your old school! We are moving apartments in the next few weeks. I have a question, if it is mold toxicity will the symptoms usually resolve when I''m away from it? How long does it usually take to go away? We've been away a night or two here and there, but that's the longest amount of time. Thanks for any insight.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes if something in the apartment is the cause, then once you leave it, you should start to feel better.

Closed Thread