It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
how could my old ent just completely miss seeing my enlarged turbinates?

since last april's septoplasty surgery, i continued to feel stuffy, had a hard time blowing stuff out of my nose, and when stuff did come out it was usually as large balls.

so i brought my old xrays to this new ent (my old professor referred me) and he said there was a lot my old ent could have done to improve my breathing!!!! what a waste of 10,000 bucks. so he's ahving me come back with new xrays to look at the updated version of me.

how could my old ent just completely miss seeing my enlarged turbinates? and if they really are posing a problem, willl this surgery actually work? im so happy that this guy might have actually found soemthing wrong with me b/c i was beginning to think everyone thought i needed a psychiatrist!!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
(male)

Grunt117 HB User
Re: how could my old ent just completely miss seeing my enlarged turbinates?

10,000 bucks! I hope that's an exaggerated figure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

Ashlynne HB User

Sinus surgery seems to be pretty common these days. In fact, many people have had more than one surgery. You should be suspicious of anyone who's going to put you under the knife. Get even more info before you do it again.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It's liability. Most ENT's are actually too conservative IMHO. My allergist had to step in on my behalf to get my surgeon to do a much needed procedure as part of my surgery. The surgeon told me it was "just allergies", and I didn't need it.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

yea i have my opinions as well, but he clearly stated last month (back to his office for sinus infection) that everything he could have done he did and that the only thing that MIGHT need work is my left maxilarry (he did the right last april). my concern is that if he was planning to get me back for another surgery later on knowing my turbinates were bad ($$$) he should have TOLD me they didnt look right. Apparently he has no clue that they are enlarged lol (according to the NEW ent i saw last week from last yrs xrays) In fact, bak in april 2005 he sat me down as we looked picture by picture at my xrays...he said all looked fine except for my slightly deviated septum and mucus ball thing in my right maxiallry (after all of that he might as well have done my turbinates!)

Im going back to this new guy next friday, but just by looking at the old xrays he said the turbinates were enlarged (said nothing about left maxially) In fact, when he scoped my sinuses he said they looked pretty good, except my nasal lining wasnt. I still have the newly updated xrays to show him. I swear my sinus and allergy drama is gets juicier each day now.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
(female)

creinha HB User

Sneezydiva,

I found the opposite to be true. For almost three years, my allergist kept telling me it was just allergies. He almost acted like he didn't believe I was still having problems. I went to an ENT who said I needed a turbinectomy and a septoplasty. It was the best thing I ever did. I don't even have to use my nasal sprays any longer.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creinha
Sneezydiva,

I found the opposite to be true. For almost three years, my allergist kept telling me it was just allergies. He almost acted like he didn't believe I was still having problems. I went to an ENT who said I needed a turbinectomy and a septoplasty. It was the best thing I ever did. I don't even have to use my nasal sprays any longer.
What were your nasal problems? How did he determine u had allergies? (allergy shot testing?)

If not,

Do you think the surgery helping with your stuffiness which improved your breathing?

I have confirmed allergies by allergy shot testing but never ever had all of this sinus trouble until may 2004. I actually started a bcp a month prior to that. I never actually linked my worsening allergies to the pill until one day I was looking at old pics (dated) and kept saying gosh i cant rem having all of these sinus problems back then. But the summer I started the pill I felt I was going crazy with PND and dhe problems continued. Then the following march 2005 i had the worst sinus infection which led me to getting surgery, and still no relief. This winter it has gotten much worse too. So I think it's the pill, others prob disagree but I have never been so congested in my life (ive even invested in a hepa filter, dust mite proof bedding, and do sinus floodings). The only way to see is to try getting off for a few months. I also read on ortho tri cyclen that one of the side effects is allergic rhinitis hmmmm! sorry had to vent here, just been very frustrated!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
(female)

creinha HB User

About three years ago, I started having problems with post nasal drip really bad. I also had times when I felt like I was congested around my nose - not really under my eyes.

After a year of unsuccessful treatment, my GP referred me to an allergist. I tested positive for trees, weeds, cats, dogs, cockroach, molds, grasses, dust, and soybean. I started the shots and reached my maintenance dose almost a year ago. I continued to have the congestion and pain. The post nasal drip seems to go away when I stay away from the soybean.

Although my allergist saw that I had a deviated septum, he didn't think it was bad enough to cause any problems. I could look up my nose and see that the septum was leaning so far to one side that there wasn't hardly any space. I kept telling my allergist that the only thing that made a slight difference was the steroid nasal spray and the nasal irrigations, but that it didn't entirely help. His reply was that he didn't normally recommend the irrigations, but if it helped, go ahead with them. It was obvious to me that he didn't believe I was having problems.

My GP ordered a CT scan which revealed thickening in the ethmoid sinuses, worse on the side of my deviated septum. I went on a month of antibiotics, and then had a 2nd CT scan. Nothing changed so my GP sent me to an ENT.

The ENT looked at the CT scans and talked to me about my problems. He said that he was sure the deviated septum and the enlarged turnbinates was causing my problems. Apparently, allergies can cause the turbinates to swell. The ENT scheduled the surgery during my first visit. I didn't go to anyone else for a second opinion because not only was I tired of all the pain, but the ENT has an awesome reputation in this area. I was ready to take the surgery plunge.

When the packing came out of my nose, I could immediately tell that I could breathe better. The swelling set in a few days later which made it more difficult. It's now 5 weeks post op and I have absolutely no sinus pain or congestion. No trouble breathing. I don't even have to use the steroid nasal spray any longer. It truly was worth having the surgery. I'm so glad I got fed up with my allergist. My insurance is awesome and paid 100% of everything but the $75 copay for the Surgery Center. Yeah!

Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
About three years ago, I started having problems with post nasal drip really bad. I also had times when I felt like I was congested around my nose - not really under my eyes.

After a year of unsuccessful treatment, my GP referred me to an allergist. I tested positive for trees, weeds, cats, dogs, cockroach, molds, grasses, dust, and soybean. I started the shots and reached my maintenance dose almost a year ago. I continued to have the congestion and pain. The post nasal drip seems to go away when I stay away from the soybean.

Although my allergist saw that I had a deviated septum, he didn't think it was bad enough to cause any problems. I could look up my nose and see that the septum was leaning so far to one side that there wasn't hardly any space. I kept telling my allergist that the only thing that made a slight difference was the steroid nasal spray and the nasal irrigations, but that it didn't entirely help. His reply was that he didn't normally recommend the irrigations, but if it helped, go ahead with them. It was obvious to me that he didn't believe I was having problems.

My GP ordered a CT scan which revealed thickening in the ethmoid sinuses, worse on the side of my deviated septum. I went on a month of antibiotics, and then had a 2nd CT scan. Nothing changed so my GP sent me to an ENT.

The ENT looked at the CT scans and talked to me about my problems. He said that he was sure the deviated septum and the enlarged turnbinates was causing my problems. Apparently, allergies can cause the turbinates to swell. The ENT scheduled the surgery during my first visit. I didn't go to anyone else for a second opinion because not only was I tired of all the pain, but the ENT has an awesome reputation in this area. I was ready to take the surgery plunge.

When the packing came out of my nose, I could immediately tell that I could breathe better. The swelling set in a few days later which made it more difficult. It's now 5 weeks post op and I have absolutely no sinus pain or congestion. No trouble breathing. I don't even have to use the steroid nasal spray any longer. It truly was worth having the surgery. I'm so glad I got fed up with my allergist. My insurance is awesome and paid 100% of everything but the $75 copay for the Surgery Center. Yeah!
wow, that's a sinusitis fairy tale. That's really postive to hear that if in the right hands, this surgery can be very successful.

so u did have confirmed allergies! did the ent just trim the turbinates? prior to surgery, were u congested 24/7? (For the most part I am, sometimes i have relief but nothing has chnaged in either my diet or environment, if anything im much cleaner than i ever was. One think that bothers me: if I am really stuffy from my allergies and i try to blow nothing comes out, unless I close one nostril at a time and blow forcefully through the other. That's the only way I can really get any junk out of my nose! That doesnt seem normal to me and every time I've talked to my ent about it he just shrugged it off.

One final question lol (sorry for all of them) what insurance do u have? mine didnt pay zilch (b/c they considered my problem to be chronic....well if i had sinus infections my whole life i would have gone through a better insrance, but march 2005 was my first one that i can ever remember of) other than that all i've ever known were allergies and sometimes hay fever BUT the ent wrote down chronic sinusitis!

Last edited by HarajukuGurl2005; 02-22-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
(female)

creinha HB User

I think the ENT removed part of the bone from the turbinates.

I told my ENT and Allergist both that it felt more like everything was swelled. Sometimes it was hard to tell if it was clogged or if it was just swelled shut. I didn't always have a lot of congestion - sometimes, but not all the time. I always felt pretty good right after the irrigations and also right after I used Nasacort. However, half way through the night I would be breathing through my mouth because my nose felt totally clogged.

My insurance is Anthem Blue Preferred.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Sneezydiva,

I had the same issue with my primary docotor. He kept telling me I had "just allergies" and refused the referral to the ENT, saying to be patient with the allergist. The allergist was telling me I needed to see an ENT b/c he suspected sinus problems. Finally, my allergist ordered a CT scan and when the results came in, my primary doctor had no choice but to give me the referral. If only the allergist had had the power to give me the referral.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Turbinates swell and retract naturally, and swell more with allergies, and can become permenantly enlarged. Maybe your old ENT didn't think it was a permanant issue?

That is very strange that they wouldn't cover your surgery, especially with a deviated septem which is considered a structural problem. Chronic sinsutis is usually the reason justifying the surgery, versus an acute case which most insurances would say should be treated with antibiotics.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 02-22-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
Turbinates swell and retract naturally, and swell more with allergies, and can become permenantly enlarged. Maybe your old ENT didn't think it was a permanant issue?

That is very strange that they wouldn't cover your surgery, especially with a deviated septem which is considered a structural problem. Chronic sinsutis is usually the reason justifying the surgery, versus an acute case which most insurances would say should be treated with antibiotics.
I think he's FOS b/c IF they were swollen at the time, he would have been contradicting himself when he said "oh you could end up being more allergic than u already are now since the surgery," and if he stands by this, wouldnt my swollen turburnates now have become a PERMENANT issue if my allergies being worse IS true?!

every post op visit i went back saying "hey im still so stuffy; i feel like i have stuff up in there that wont come out!" he said nothing was there in any of the sinuses. But as I was driving home i felt some weird pressure in my nostril and i blew a little and this super giant booger came out...man did i want to kill him or at least drive back and say "look what i found idiot!". every time i hear about someone having this surgery they say they feel better right away. i felt exactly the same as i did before surgery. id leave his office every time with a different, stupid steroid spray that was almost like trying to mix oil and water b/c of all stuffiness. he didint get it!

another thing, my old xrays showed a mass of mucus in my right max. he said the deviated septum was cause of that. well, i just got my new xrays and i was looking at them only to find ANOTHER white mass in my right max LOL....and this ent was already talking about operating on my Left max (yea...maybe if he got it right the first time!!)

im never going back to that guy again, and for his sake he better hope my new ent does not tell me that my turbinates are very enlarged or something else going on that he missed! This is unbelieveable...

Last edited by HarajukuGurl2005; 02-23-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
(female)

creinha HB User

HarajukuGurl2005,

Just curious. After your surgery, were you instructed to do anything? I had to do sinus irrigations four times a day as well as using the saline spray at least 12 times a day, and I also had to use rose oil four times a day.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #15
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

i have faithfully done irrigations since the surgery; he said i woudnt need it now but i feel like i need 2 about 3 - 4 times a day.

Closed Thread