It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #16
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Re: severe chronic urticaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica430
i was on zyrtec previously-it worked well until i broke out and ended up taking more than the "recommended dose", after moving out on my own and getting my own insurance, my doctor would not give me a new prescription for it and i've been taking benadryl ever since. it's the only thing that works if i take around the clock BEFORE the hives come. but may i ask why the pepcid? i read about someone else taking zyrtec and pepcid, and then benadryl when the hives got real bad. does it work better when taken with pepcid or is it just to calm your stomach?
Jessica, I am going from memory here, so may not use the correct terminology.... The Pepcid (and Zantac, and similar) are type 2 histamine receptor blockers (did I get that right?). Type 2 receptors are found in the stomach lining and... surprise.... the skin. Most antihistamines (Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin, Benedryl, etc.) are type 1 blockers. Type 1 receptors are found pretty much everywhere, I think. So for hives the idea is you get more complete histamine blocking by using both types. It works fairly well for me, though many others are not so fortunate.

Kristi

Old 01-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #17
(female)

elli3 HB User

Is anyone allergic to sulfites or coloring additives? I'm suppose to avoid both and think I am............but every morning same ole, same ole. Clarinex / Cimiditine in the AM and Zyrtec / Cimiditine in the PM seem to keep them "faded and outsight" with no itching, but would love to just get rid of them!!

Elli

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #18

PandaPaws HB User

You may be interested in my earlier postings on Yellow Dye 5. (You can search on my nickname and find my postings from August/September of last year on this thread.)

For about 20 years I had a variety of hives. The descriptions by other members are very familiar to me - run of the mill hives on various parts of my body (some, as mentioned by one member, on top of veins on my wrists), red spots on my palms, swollen and rigid forearm muscle, etc. Some hives occured after exposure to the sun and cold. However, the worse symptoms were the ones that occured after pressure - delayed pressure urticaria. Not only did these hives on my hands and feet hurt, itch, and restrict my activities; but I felt that my whole body was inflamed.

After reading the postings from others, I feel very lucky because once I eliminated my exposure to Yellow Dye 5, my hives stopped appearing.

By the way, I was interested to see the mention of mitral valve prolapse. I have been told I have this as well. I am skeptical of a link to hives, but I have to admit my rare episodes of rapid heart beats stopped at about the same time as my elimination of Yellow Dye 5. Just because some of these additives don't kill us outright doesn't mean that they are harmless.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #19

angel monkey HB User

Kristi--
I am very interested in what you were saying about type 1 and 2 histamine blockers and how it works with pepcid and zyrtec. Right now I am going back and forth between Claritan, zyrtec and benydrl. Did the doctor prescribe that, and what are the correct doses for each that your taking? I am going to ask my allergist about it as soon as I can. Maybe it will at least help me. Thank you for your help.

ANGEL MONKEY

Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #20
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Angel Monkey,

Yes, my allergist prescribed the Zyrtec/Pepcid combo for me about 2 years ago. (Before that, I had been on Allegra alone but it didn't seem to help much for my chronic urt.) I think several others on this board are on a similar combination.

I am still on the combination today. (I had been off of all meds this last spring and summer since it appeared the hives were going away or at least getting better, but then I got hit with a really big outbreak in the fall, and I have been back on the Zyrtec/Pepcid ever since.)

Sorry, I don't have the mg's handy. I take 1 pill of Zyrtec plus 1 pill of Pepcid in the morning, and then one Pepcid alone at night.

FWIW, when my hives/swelling are flaring badly enough, I take Benedryl in addition to the Zyrtec and Pepcid.

- Kristi

Old 01-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #21

angel monkey HB User

kristi--
Is it regular pepcid ac pills, theres only one kind right?

--Angel Monkey

Old 01-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #22
(female)

jessica430 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi_1
Angel Monkey,

Yes, my allergist prescribed the Zyrtec/Pepcid combo for me about 2 years ago. (Before that, I had been on Allegra alone but it didn't seem to help much for my chronic urt.) I think several others on this board are on a similar combination.

I am still on the combination today. (I had been off of all meds this last spring and summer since it appeared the hives were going away or at least getting better, but then I got hit with a really big outbreak in the fall, and I have been back on the Zyrtec/Pepcid ever since.)

Sorry, I don't have the mg's handy. I take 1 pill of Zyrtec plus 1 pill of Pepcid in the morning, and then one Pepcid alone at night.

FWIW, when my hives/swelling are flaring badly enough, I take Benedryl in addition to the Zyrtec and Pepcid.

- Kristi
i'm currently taking benadryl for my hives,and as long as i take a million a day, they seem to be pretty much under control. i was wondering, do you think taking the pepcid with the benadryl would be effective? or is benadryl too different from zyrtec? all i know is that the zyrtec did work quite well before, and i do not want to go through all kinds of tests just to get a prescription of zyrtec when i know it is effective enough to help.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #23
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Hi Jessica, I have to say I do not advise anyone to add a med withoug consulting a doctor first. If you have an HMO you could call and talk to an "advice nurse" to at least identify any risks.

Though in theory, I think the Benedryl could be combined with Pepcid to increase effectiveness. Benedryl is among the type 1 blockers, like Zyrtec (and Claritin, and Allegra, etc...)

Have you seen a doctor for your hives?

-Kristi

Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #24
(female)

elli3 HB User

Reading your posts have really made me more aware. Just realized the calcium tablets I was taking...........plain old white tablets...contain dye. Also, my vitamins. Had shrimp the other night and had a very bad morning. Have been trying to read every label, but a lot do not list. If it says artificial color or coloring....should you avoid?? Took Robitussin for a cough a month ago and had a very bad case of hives the next morning. I hate this!!

Thanks for the posts. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Elli

Old 01-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #25

genster HB User

Hi everyone
I am having a hive-free day for the first time in two years - but it is probably due to the fact that my ENT put me on prednisone for my nasal polyps. Still, I am enjoying the lack of hives while it lasts. I haven't noticed much change in the nose yet! I hate to be on prednisone again, but the polyps are getting severe - nearly time for surgury (the fourth one). Oh well.
for the posters who were mentioning yellow dye 5, I was reading the label of some crackers I was eating the other day, and it just listed colours, so I phoned the customer service number on the box (it was a Kraft product), and the woman who answered the phone told me that they always list yellow dye 5, or any dye that has a history of causing sensitivities. I thought it was interesting - I don't know if that is all over the place, or just in this country. It might be something to check whereever one lives, though. The customer service person I spoke with was very helpful.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #26

angel monkey HB User

kristi--

I'm not sure if you ever said wether or not it is pepcid ac you use, or if there is even a different kind of pepcid. I just want to be able to ask the doctor about the right thing. THANK YOU for your help.
--Angel monkey

Old 01-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #27
(female)

jessica430 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi_1
Hi Jessica, I have to say I do not advise anyone to add a med withoug consulting a doctor first. If you have an HMO you could call and talk to an "advice nurse" to at least identify any risks.

Though in theory, I think the Benedryl could be combined with Pepcid to increase effectiveness. Benedryl is among the type 1 blockers, like Zyrtec (and Claritin, and Allegra, etc...)

Have you seen a doctor for your hives?

-Kristi
yes-about 6-7 years ago. went to an allergist. he didn't do the needle ***** test-i'm almost positive i'm not allergic to anything but penicillan. however, he couldn't determine any other cause(new detergent, soap, etc.) so we tried the zyrtec which seemed to pretty much keep the hives under control. sometimes i had to take more than the recommended dose because i would still get hives, but if i took more they'd almost always fade within an hour or two. but since the whole move and growing up, my doctor will nor write me a prescription and insists i see an allergist (why not a dermatologist too) so i contine to use benadryl because it is as effective for me as the zyrtec was, i just have to take it every 4 hrs instead of once a day.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:37 AM   #28
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel monkey
kristi--

I'm not sure if you ever said wether or not it is pepcid ac you use, or if there is even a different kind of pepcid. I just want to be able to ask the doctor about the right thing. THANK YOU for your help.
--Angel monkey
Yes, the trade name is Pepcid AC. The generic drug name is famotidine. I buy the basic 10mg generic famotidine tablets at Costco, which is the best deal I have found.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #29
(male)

hiveboy HB User

Hello all,
This is my first time with any forum, and I have been reading, well actually skimming, everyones postings. It is kind of reassuring to see that there are others out there like me. I suffer from chronic urticaria. It began when I was in college right at the age of 21. It lasted everyday for three years straight, with a one time trip to the hospital with a swollen shut throat. I think that day I looked like the elephant man. Anyway, after about 6 doctors, 10 medications, you know the drill, the hives finally went away. And I thought for good. I was on hydroxozine 3x a day and eventually wheened my way off of it. Well, last year, same time of the year right before my 27 birthday, one day they magically came back. I went through the same procedure as the first time, with no luck. No antihistamines seemed to even give me a hive free day. I am a teacher, and I'm sure you could imagine being up in front of 25 eleven year olds trying to teach with swollen eyes, lumps on your neck, etc... I told my dermetologist I needed a fix now. Well, we went through the same meds with no luck. My wife suggested I take a different route, one that I have not seen mentioned on any posts, homeopathy. I figured what the hell, I'm at the last straw anyway. Well, I tried a few things, and physically I felt better because I wasn't doped up everyday, but the hives weren't really controlled for very long. I think I have adult ADD, so I got frustrated after about 3 months and went back to my faithful hydroxizine. I am on this again 3x a day, but everyday is a hive day. There is no rhyme or reason for it either. I thought maybe it was the drinking. I like to have a few drinks on the weekend. But I find that when my blood thins, my hives disappear, but the next day I pay for it. And when my body seems to wear down, the hives get worse. I'm sorry this is so long, but it is so nice to vent to someone that understands what I go through every day. I have kind of given up on a cure, I'm tired! I just want them to be gone forever! hiveboy

Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #30
(female)

hockeymama HB User

Hi - I broke out in severe hives five weeks ago, and tested negative a couple days ago for any food allergies. The dr was ready to put me on Zyrtec for months or years, but I figured I would try looking at environmental causes first. Apparently I seem to react to anything that has a benz- in it. Sodium benzoate, benzoic acid, benzophenone-4, etc. All this stuff is in hair gel, commercial laundry detergent (it's an optical brightener), dishwashing soap, foods, sodas, antifungal creams, etc, as it is a very common food and cosmetic preservative. It is also naturally occuring in tea and berries. I don't know yet if I also have reaction to salicylates as well. But if you haven't yet I encourage all of you to look for chemical causes if you've been diagnosed with idiopathic chronic urticaria and do some avoidance testing of the common issues - tartrazine (yellow 5), benzoates, salicylates, etc. - D.

Closed Thread