It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
(male)

Johndg2 HB User
apple cider vinegar

Has anyone tried this to relieve congestion?

I've been soaking some small bits of cotton in apple cider vinegar and putting them in each nostril. I take them out 30 min later and I get ALOT of mucus drainage out my nose. It's always very clear and the consitency of syrup. I can pretty much do this every 30 minutes.

I'm wondering if I'm just irritating the mucus membranes, or is the ACV actually opening something up.

A round of prednisone, and a week of nasonex hasn't helped much, maybe a little, but I'm so congested it's hard to tell. This has been a nightmare.

Going to the allergist in 2 days to see the CT scan results, and an allergy test. It's a pollen test. Why not a complete allergy test???

I hope this ends soon, it's interfering with everything.

pieces, John

Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
(male)

osmonxp HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndg2

pieces, John
I hear you man; I have been dealing with this horrible nasal congestion since September 05. Have you tried irrigation? I work wonders for me. Nasonex, Flonase and Rhinocort did nothing for me and Prednisone just gave insomnia and palpitations. Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndg2
Has anyone tried this to relieve congestion?

I've been soaking some small bits of cotton in apple cider vinegar and putting them in each nostril. I take them out 30 min later and I get ALOT of mucus drainage out my nose. It's always very clear and the consitency of syrup. I can pretty much do this every 30 minutes.

I'm wondering if I'm just irritating the mucus membranes, or is the ACV actually opening something up.

A round of prednisone, and a week of nasonex hasn't helped much, maybe a little, but I'm so congested it's hard to tell. This has been a nightmare.

Going to the allergist in 2 days to see the CT scan results, and an allergy test. It's a pollen test. Why not a complete allergy test???

pieces, John

I wish I knew more about ACV. Irrigating with Neil Med's sinus rinse is great for congestion b/c it flushes a lot of gunk out. I'm wondering how effective ACV might be with irrigating since it will be propelled throughout your sinsues even.

None of those drugs have worked for me either, and I also get allergy shots. So my current regim is neil med sinus rinse daily, NAC, Vitamin C 3000 mg, and claritin d. i feel no differntly now than when i used flonase, nascort etc along with singulair, zytrec, allergra etc. All of that just burned a whole in my pocket. i alternate between claritn d and sudafed...if i only have stuffiness i take sudafed.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

Hi-
I've been irrigating for over month now with a neti pot, and a grosson irrigation machine. It doesn't seem too help that much, as far as getting any gunk out. Apple cider vinger has been the only thing that works besides beerzoids flooding method, which could be doing more harm than good in the long run. I get a little drainage after I use the nasonex, and the net pot, but nothing like after I use apple cider vinegar.

Does irrigation actually go through your sinuses? It's just hard to belive that the liquid would reach all your sinus cavities.

Tommorow I'll find out if I have an infection, and where I'm having trouble, hopefully.

Thanks for responding, John

Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
(male)

Icky_Metal HB User

In addition to nasal steroids and irrigating I use Xlear. It works great during the day, when I'm in the office. It allegedly helps reduce infections, but I can feel the flow once I use it.

As for irrigating, I use Pulmicort in the Grossen irrigation machine. Pulmicort, from what I can tell is the same as Rhinocort, except you can put it in the irrigation solution and it really gets into your sinuses (it's actually for an asthma inhaler). It's helped me much more than the spray bottle nasal steroids.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
(male)

osmonxp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_Metal
I use Pulmicort in the Grossen irrigation machine. Pulmicort, from what I can tell is the same as Rhinocort, except you can put it in the irrigation solution and it really gets into your sinuses (it's actually for an asthma inhaler). It's helped me much more than the spray bottle nasal steroids.
Where do you get Pulmicort from? Is it by RX only? Can you give us more details? Thank you.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

Bibliophile83 HB User

yes, rx only.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
(male)

Icky_Metal HB User

Using Pulmicort in irrigation is fairly innovative. And it is available only by Rx. My allergist prescribes it for such use. It's worth asking your allergist about.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
(female)

samylovr HB User

My allergist also recommended Pulmicort in my neti pot. Question: I am not sure how to do this. Do you inhale the water and Pulmicort--let sit in your nasal passages or blow it out in a tissue like when using a neti pot? I don't see how this will help--does it coat the passages in the nose? Or, does it just get blowed out in a tissue?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
(female)

samylovr HB User
Re: Pulmicort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_Metal View Post
Using Pulmicort in irrigation is fairly innovative. And it is available only by Rx. My allergist prescribes it for such use. It's worth asking your allergist about.
How do you use It?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

This is an old post. These people might not come around anymore.

Closed Thread