It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 61
Johndg2 HB User
apple cider vinegar

Has anyone tried this to relieve congestion?

I've been soaking some small bits of cotton in apple cider vinegar and putting them in each nostril. I take them out 30 min later and I get ALOT of mucus drainage out my nose. It's always very clear and the consitency of syrup. I can pretty much do this every 30 minutes.

I'm wondering if I'm just irritating the mucus membranes, or is the ACV actually opening something up.

A round of prednisone, and a week of nasonex hasn't helped much, maybe a little, but I'm so congested it's hard to tell. This has been a nightmare.

Going to the allergist in 2 days to see the CT scan results, and an allergy test. It's a pollen test. Why not a complete allergy test???

I hope this ends soon, it's interfering with everything.

pieces, John

 
Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 110
osmonxp HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndg2
I hope this ends soon, it's interfering with everything.

pieces, John
I hear you man; I have been dealing with this horrible nasal congestion since September 05. Have you tried irrigation? I work wonders for me. Nasonex, Flonase and Rhinocort did nothing for me and Prednisone just gave insomnia and palpitations. Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress.


 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 271
HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndg2
Has anyone tried this to relieve congestion?

I've been soaking some small bits of cotton in apple cider vinegar and putting them in each nostril. I take them out 30 min later and I get ALOT of mucus drainage out my nose. It's always very clear and the consitency of syrup. I can pretty much do this every 30 minutes.

I'm wondering if I'm just irritating the mucus membranes, or is the ACV actually opening something up.

A round of prednisone, and a week of nasonex hasn't helped much, maybe a little, but I'm so congested it's hard to tell. This has been a nightmare.

Going to the allergist in 2 days to see the CT scan results, and an allergy test. It's a pollen test. Why not a complete allergy test???

I hope this ends soon, it's interfering with everything.

pieces, John

I wish I knew more about ACV. Irrigating with Neil Med's sinus rinse is great for congestion b/c it flushes a lot of gunk out. I'm wondering how effective ACV might be with irrigating since it will be propelled throughout your sinsues even.

None of those drugs have worked for me either, and I also get allergy shots. So my current regim is neil med sinus rinse daily, NAC, Vitamin C 3000 mg, and claritin d. i feel no differntly now than when i used flonase, nascort etc along with singulair, zytrec, allergra etc. All of that just burned a whole in my pocket. i alternate between claritn d and sudafed...if i only have stuffiness i take sudafed.

 
Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 61
Johndg2 HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Hi-
I've been irrigating for over month now with a neti pot, and a grosson irrigation machine. It doesn't seem too help that much, as far as getting any gunk out. Apple cider vinger has been the only thing that works besides beerzoids flooding method, which could be doing more harm than good in the long run. I get a little drainage after I use the nasonex, and the net pot, but nothing like after I use apple cider vinegar.

Does irrigation actually go through your sinuses? It's just hard to belive that the liquid would reach all your sinus cavities.

Tommorow I'll find out if I have an infection, and where I'm having trouble, hopefully.

Thanks for responding, John

 
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 57
Icky_Metal HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

In addition to nasal steroids and irrigating I use Xlear. It works great during the day, when I'm in the office. It allegedly helps reduce infections, but I can feel the flow once I use it.

As for irrigating, I use Pulmicort in the Grossen irrigation machine. Pulmicort, from what I can tell is the same as Rhinocort, except you can put it in the irrigation solution and it really gets into your sinuses (it's actually for an asthma inhaler). It's helped me much more than the spray bottle nasal steroids.

 
Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 110
osmonxp HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_Metal
I use Pulmicort in the Grossen irrigation machine. Pulmicort, from what I can tell is the same as Rhinocort, except you can put it in the irrigation solution and it really gets into your sinuses (it's actually for an asthma inhaler). It's helped me much more than the spray bottle nasal steroids.
Where do you get Pulmicort from? Is it by RX only? Can you give us more details? Thank you.


 
Old 03-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
Bibliophile83 HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

yes, rx only.
__________________
Erin H

 
Old 03-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 57
Icky_Metal HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

Using Pulmicort in irrigation is fairly innovative. And it is available only by Rx. My allergist prescribes it for such use. It's worth asking your allergist about.

 
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin USA
Posts: 2
samylovr HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

My allergist also recommended Pulmicort in my neti pot. Question: I am not sure how to do this. Do you inhale the water and Pulmicort--let sit in your nasal passages or blow it out in a tissue like when using a neti pot? I don't see how this will help--does it coat the passages in the nose? Or, does it just get blowed out in a tissue?

 
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin USA
Posts: 2
samylovr HB User
Re: Pulmicort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_Metal View Post
Using Pulmicort in irrigation is fairly innovative. And it is available only by Rx. My allergist prescribes it for such use. It's worth asking your allergist about.
How do you use It?

 
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,178
Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: apple cider vinegar

This is an old post. These people might not come around anymore.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Apple Cider Vinegar tom_cress2000 Acne 7 05-22-2009 09:44 AM
Anyone take apple cider vinegar on thyroxine please? niecsey Thyroid Disorders 5 01-11-2008 09:09 AM
Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy selliot Acid Reflux / GERD 8 08-08-2007 07:07 AM
apple cider vinegar cured my GERD mari777 Acid Reflux / GERD 2 04-30-2007 04:25 PM
apple cider vinegar- does it really work? eggysbrain Weight Loss 22 06-23-2006 05:33 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Allegra
Astelin
Benadryl
Clarinex Claritin
  Flonase
Nasonex
Prednisone
Singulair
Zyrtec




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (65), janewhite1 (39), danabarb (17), Machaon (12), MountainReader (10), MeezerWheezer (7), jennybyc (7), ladybud (7), solofelix (6), Liquidplasma (4)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (910), Titchou (859), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!