It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Back from Allergist...still very confused

I am so confused and frustrated it's not even funny. I don't think I even need an allergist, do I need an immunologist?? I had a positive ANA blood test and I have chronic hives for six months, the allergist says that it's probably not something I'm allergic to as I have never had allergy problems before, he says the positive ANA tells him that my hives are autoimmune....okay....what exactly does this mean? He says he's not concerned about Lupus but I should get another blood test in three months. He doesn't think I need to be referred to anyone else, is this because the antihistamines control my hives? Do doctors know anything about hives? Is it that I'm seeing him just to control them and that's it? I guess I'm getting no answers but maybe there are none and I'm beating my head against a brick wall for nothing. Any ideas anyone??
Mary

Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Back from Allergist...still very confused

Hmmm I don't know what to think. Usually allergy and immunology is lumped together. Most "allergists" are either immunologists or ENTs. I would find out which your doctor is. Autoimmune means in a very simplistic sense your body is attacking itself.

Do you need a referal to see another doctor? I would discuss these test results with your primary doctor also. You might want a referral to rheumatologist.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-16-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you Sneezy, I really need someone to talk to about this. So, my body is attacking itself...I wonder why? I've mentioned that I think it's my hormones going crazy in perimenopause, you would think that that is a natural transition for women, maybe I'm not eating right or something. I also have a very huge phobia about doctors, so I can't ask him to refer me because I'm too chicken, if he suggested it I would go, but since he doesn't seem to think I need one, I just can't bring myself to ask. He did say that most likely these hives will burn themselves out in time, but how long no one knows. I guess I'll keep taking my antihistamines and hope for the best, at least they help me function.
Have a good day.
Mary

Old 03-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User

What is an ANA test anyway? I'm wondering because my very own ENT who specializes in allergy immunology is sending me to an Allergy/Asthma Immunologist at the local medical college because my own Dr. is stumped as to why my allergies are getting worse rather than better. I've been on shots this time around for a little over 2.5 years now and I have become more sensitive and my reactions are becoming more severe. At this point they are all stumped (allergy nurses and my Dr.) and they believe I have some sort of deficiency in my immune system. It started to get worse at the start of winter when they raised my dust dose, and worse yet when they raised my trees a month ago. I'm having all sorts of issues including chest heaviness and breathing problems, which usually only occur in the summer with me. They're obviously not raising my vials anymore, and now I'm getting smaller amounts as opposed to what I was getting. Winter has always been the "easy" time of year for me, but not this year. This year it's a nightmare and I am scared to death to see what spring and summer brings.

Everyone is confused but me. I'm just plain scared.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
(female)

Hi Anjjou, sorry to hear about your allergies. I really don't know how to explain an ANA test, I'd never hear of it until mine came back positive three months ago. I know it has something to do with autoimmune disorders. He tried to explain it to me but I don't understand. I hope you find some relief soon.
Mary

Closed Thread