It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

weelass HB User
Puffy Swollen Eyes - Please help :(

Hello - just wondering if anyone can help...

I have, for about 4 weeks now had, red, swollen, puffy eyes which is worse when I first get up in the morning(or afternoon ) - They are red and flakey. When it first started, it was just my left eye, when I felt it felt a little puffy, although you couldn't nottice anything by looking - since then it has just gotten worse, when I open my eyes it feels so heavy as if someone is pulling them shut, they do settle down a little as the day goes by. I'm only 20, and it looks horrible and is dragging me down

I do suffer from alergies (mostly in the summer), my face will burn and blister from about 10 minutes in the sun, I used to suffer from eczema when I was little, and I also have asthma. I've been taking some allergie pills in the morning, I don't know if I should take another before I go to bed? I've also only been washing my face with water, which is a pain in the ***!

I haven't been to the dr's yet as I thought it would have cleared up by now, and it takes about a year just to get an apointment with NHS!

Anyway, if anyone could help I would be very greatfull - Thanks!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Puffy Swollen Eyes - Please help :(

Sounds like allergy eye, or maybe even eczema. There are over the counter allergy eyedrops available. It it is eczema, you can use hydrocortizone cream. But only for about a week or two. you're not supposed to hydrocortizone long term, it can eventually thin the skin, if used long term.

I fyou have allergies, I would definitely take a med before bedtime also. (assuming you aren't taking a 24 hour med)

Last edited by sneezydiva; 04-29-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

weelass HB User

Thanks for the reply! I will try and see if I can get some eye drops and post any results. I'll take another allergy pill and see if anything is better in the morning aswell.

I just put some of "chapsticks soothing gel" on my eye lids(I have ran out of anything else!), just to take away the flakeyness, it made my eyes water alot, but it actually took away some of the puffyness - not sure if that's any help?

Anyway, I'll post any updates soon...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi Weelass,
Please don't put any hydrocortisone on or near your eyes. You really need to see your doctor and make sure it's not eczema. You may need the prescription eye drops 'Patanol'. I hope you feel well soon.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
(female)

weelass HB User

Okay, thanks - I have an apointment on thursday so hopefully get something to help them. I saw something called "Vital Eyes Moisturising drops", I don't know if they will help? Because I really need something now, I feel crap, my eyes look like my grannys

Oh, and I took another allergie pill lastnight and my eyes are just the same this smorning, I know those pills do work for me because I have a few other allergies which I need to take for the type of job I have.

Anyway, I'll buy one of those Vital Eye drops, and try it anyway...

Old 04-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Redness & flaking about the eyes can also be caused by a form of seborrhea, which is highly treatable w/Rx meds.

In the meantime, if you have itching or irritation, try cold water compresses with a very clean wash cloth. Relief may be short-lived, but it is relief ...

Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

Min2003 HB User

Hi I get all three: asthma, eczema and allergies. They all have gotten better as I got older. I'm 46. Regarding your puffy eyes... sounds like allergies to me. Glad u made an appt with Dr. During the allergy season, I keep windows closed. I shower from head to toe every night and change pillow cases often. It's a good idea to shower every night and wash all the stuff out of your head and body. Plus the water flowing down your eyelids is a good wash. It's so windy here (NY) today that it looks like rain coming down and its actually all the particles from grass and trees blowing around.

I tried patanol (eye drops) and it didn't help. It actually made my eye feel pain so that med was not good for me. Good luck. I wish i could stay indoors 24-hours til this allergy season for me passed!!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Blepheritis. Go get an eyexam. It is a chronic thing-nothing serious. Allergies would just make it more uncomfortable. Eyelids look swollen? Heavy? Fell like they want to close? Allergies do the same and add an itch but also involve the eye itself. The lids blepheritis. After your eye exam and they will see it very quickly ( an eye doctor) they will tell you what to do. I was told 1. Take an allergy pill every morning (reg. dr told me that) 2. Every night and morning make a warm soak with water a some drops of Johnson and Johnson shampoo and use cotton. Soak your eyes and light close your eye and rub back and forth. Also a very, very helpful hint is to shower before bed!! Pollen sticks to you and your hair and allergies will thrive while you sleep. The p.m. shower during allergy season I found very helpful. Also, So you get a perfect start clean the bedroom thouroughly and wash your blanket and change the sheets. You can even purchase a hepa filter (range from 89-350.00) they are sold every where right now. Thankfully the season will be finished in a month or so. Make sure the clothes you wore during the day are not in the room you are sleeping in.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
(female)

weelass HB User

I've just been to the dr, and she gave me some "Fusidic Acid 2% Cream", which is also for red, weaping patches under my nose and a couple of places around my lips - so, hopefully this will help. She didn't actually say what was causing it, but she said if the cream doesn't heal it up then I have to go back to the dr's.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

weelass HB User

..Okay, well that cream is aload of crap, so I've made another apointment with the Dr tommorrow. I baught some Hydrocortisone Cream, but only today so I don't know if it'll help yet - plus I don't really know whether to put it on my eyes or not?

Anyway, the red patches are getting worse, my eyes are worse, so hopefully the Dr tomorrow will give some help, or at least at idea of what is causing it - I'm thinking the sun, but I don't know...

Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

You can put it AROUND your eyes, but be careful not to get it IN your eyes. I was given the okay by a doctor to use it occasionally. But you can't use it long term. It thins your skin and the skin around your eyes is already thinner than the rest of your skin. Plus there is a connection between chronic oral cortizone (prednisone) use and glaucoma. But using a 1% cream around your eyes once or twice isn't going to cause any problems like that.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
(female)

weelass HB User

Okay, thanks - I've put it on my eyes about 4 times. I went to the Dr today and she said it looked like eczema and told me to keep using the cream I baught. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the sun that has caused it so, I'll make sure I have a sun cream on and see if it goes away and stays away, cause it does goaway for about 2 days then it comes back again which is annoying because everytime I go to the Dr's it goes away and she never knows what I'm taking about.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
(female)

cathark HB User

I also have sever allergies. The pills don't work for me, I take flonaze, it is a nasel spray. Some times I wake and my eyes are so puffy because of the allergies too. What I do is a nasel rince with 1/2 tsp. sea salt and 8oz. of warm water. I found this in a yoga book and it does work. Tilt your head and let the water flow through to your other nastrul while letting some go through into you mouth. Spit the water out. You can do this several times a day, it will not hurt your nose at all. Maybe it will help. I think you might have something elce in addition to your allergies.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
(female)

Min2003 HB User

Good luck at the doctor's! If the dr is not sure, ask him to refer you to an allergist and/or dermatologist and insist that your dr contact these drs to see you asap!...we are talking about your eyes here. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:58 AM   #15
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi Weelass,
Eczema is also caused by stress. That's when mine rears its ugly head, all over my face and neck! I use a prescription cortisone cream and get to the root of the stress and eliminate it.

Closed Thread