It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Allergy to Gluten

hey anybody have this? i found out i was allergic to gluten a few months ago. i never really knew why i had such bad heart burn and loose stoole so often but now i know, since stopping the comsumption of gluten all these symptoms have disappeared.

i wanted to know though, if you guys had any info on how long it takes for the gut to heal itself after no longer eating gluten? anybody have any info on this? i would greatly appreciate it.

scott

ps. i heard thyroiditis is linked to gluten allergy, is this true?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Inactive

agentbad HB User
Re: Allergy to Gluten

you may just need to cleanse your body of gluten for a while to let it heal. ive read posts about people dieting for 1-3 months on a no gluten diet. basically no carbs, which includes, bread, barley, hops, wheat, pasta, vinegar, beer, and a bunch of other stuff. it is possible you came down with something else like candida. though if you are truly allergic to gluten then you should notice a difference within a month or 2.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Scott,

I'm glad your symptoms have improved w/GF diet. Do you know "what kind of gluten allergy" you have? That determines how quickly one's gut heals, although if one suffers from more than one type of gluten intolerance, things get complicated.

Celiacs (not a true allergy but rather a serious autoimmune destruction of the small intestine triggered by gluten) typically take months to years for gut healing. Rarely, older celiacs can suffer from "refractory sprue," in which the gut does not heal despite faithful diet. Celiacs do need to keep their gluten intake very low to facilitate healing. For example, their progress towards healing can be torpedoed by sharing of a toaster, or by crumbs in the peanut butter jar.

IgE ("true" allergy) is a fairly quick acting/reacting histamine-based reaction. There are usually major improvements within a week or two of removing gluten when the allergy is IgE-based. Re-exposure to gluten will flare the symptoms.

Then there is also the "delayed IgG type allergy" -- contested by many m.d.s as meaningless. Yet many people with these IgG gliadin/gluten antibodies experience relief from symptoms after going GF.

Thyroid disorders have a much higher frequency of occurrence in celiac disease. That is well-established. The relationship of gluten intolerance to thyroid malfunction in the gluten allergies is less-well established.

While gluten is most commonly associated with wheat, flour, bread, pasta, cookies, etc., it's impt to note that barley is a common gluten contaminant. Barley is frequently found in malt form as a sweetener. Watch out for beer, candy, most commercial cold cereals, many "health/energy" bars, and even wheat-free goodies can rely on barley flour! Rye, kamut, & spelt are other "wheat-free alternatives" that contain gluten. Hydrolysed wheat proteins (as flavorings) are cropping up in unusual places, like commercial salsas.

Gluten is also found in envelope & sticker glue (don't lick), in art products like play-doh & papier mache, in wallpaper adhesives, & wall filler/joint compounds. Health & beauty aids (esp. shampoos & hair gels) are increasingly containing wheat proteins. If one is gluten-intolerant one must also check meds, OTC drugs, and supplements for gluten-free status.

Best wishes.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

thanks for all the info, i really appreciate it.

i had an ELISA test done and also found i was allergic to rye, spelt, gliadin, wheat and so on. i'm fairly certain they measured using both kinds of antibodies, the ones that occur right away and the ones that are delayed. this is the second test where gluten has come up as an allergy. so im thinking im going to stay off all gluten for ever.

thank you
scott

Old 05-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Inactive

agentbad HB User

glad you found out what was ailing you. good luck

Closed Thread