My daughter is 5 yrs & 9 monts. she has had multiple food anaphylaxis for four years now and the list is expanding.
she first took a reaction four years ago and now she is seriously allergic to: peanuts, All treet nuts, kiwi fruit, leguems (peas, beans, lentils), sesame seeds, egg yolk and white, horses, cats & dogs......... they are the ones that she takes anaphilactic reactions to on exposure on ingestion.
Her skin allergies are house dust mite and she has just been diagnosed with a grass allergy!.
she has had sever eczema since she was 6 months to the point where she has been hospitalised and wetwrapped twice a day every day!!
does anyone know of any sort of medicin or treatment that may reduce the amount of allergies she has?
i am desperate for help for her, she is now coming to an age where she will be going to birthday parties and school trips and as much as she has dealt with it well i am frightened.
i have seen her in hospital too many times because of exposure to allergens that neither my self nor the doctor were aware of.
i have educated her to her allergies but now with every lump on her body she starts to seriously stress out, she freaks and now i see that she is finding it difficult to leave my side. she is frightened to eat if im not there because she think she will take a reaction.
this cannot be healthy for her state of mind and im worried of the long term affects this may have on her.
she truly is petrified and i would love some one to give me some advice or tell me about some drug which could help tame her allergies.
I understand your worry----please watch her close---educate her and aid in her environment (carpet, pillow cases, air filter...ect..) there are great things on the way----antihistimines do not treat the allergy--they only treat the symptoms(itchy eyes, runny nose)---she should be using a steriod spray to block a certain mast cell that causes some of those symptoms---the help is an IgE blocker or immunotherapy----when your body has a bug enter (flu, or bacteria) one kind of your white blood cells (lymph.) release to attack the bug--- it will release an IgG antibody---The IgG antibody will attach itself to the cells of the invader and kill it---then ride with it out of the body as waste---allergies cause the white blood cells to release IgE antibodies----these are what cause our reactions----congestion, breathing, swelling, etc....----the future is two things right now----ONE--immunotherapy---this process should be done with an Allergist Doc---most ENT docs give too low of a dose-----the therapy is designed to dose the patient with a high dose of the allergen under the skin----this is to have the body attack the allergen with IgG antibodies( try and simulate a bug)----the hope is that after several injections the immune system will start to release IgG antibodies instead of the IgE antibodies on its own when an allergen is inhaled, touched, eaten etc....--this will not produce the allergic reactions---this is not 100% but the odds are damn good it will help--plus, the science has shown that it is more effective the younger you start (could be scary for a young child to get the shots..but that should wear off) the other help is an IgE blocker----there is only one on the market right now and it is reserved for those suffering from bad asthma reactions---this drug from Genentech (a biotech firm) will block the IgE antibodies from being released---this is very expensive--$1,000 per shot---this will come down in time and there will be competitive IgE blockers coming------this is not fun to have such terrible allergies, but it will get better----for some antihistimines are all that are needed, for others it's more serious-----please talk to a good doc that knows allergies for your daughter---you both will make it and all will be better in time.
Ok, this is a little clearer now. First of all , if she has allergies, she should be on an antihistamine. If she has asthma, she should be on a daily med for that. Not just the rescue inhaler but a daily one. Since I'm in the US I'm not sure of the drug names in your country. You'll just have to cover that with your physician. As for the injections, they usually don't give them to children her age because they tend to outgrown some anyway...particularly the food allergies. And I have no idea how that determination is made under you health system.
As for her being frightened, I mean this in the best and most helpful way...she gets that from you. If you are constantly worrying about what's she been near or eaten - and the consequences thereof - she will also. You need to treat this as just a sort of issue we have to deal with but not worry about. Am not really sure how to make this sounds sensible. I've had severe allergies all my life along with a lot of other issues as a child which have either gone away or been cured in some fashion. My parents never "fawned" over me about them...just treated them matter-of-fact like and I never got in an uproar over them...even the many times I was hospitalized. It was jsut sort of made a joke...well, we have to humor Dr so and so...etc. I think you just need to find a balance. Good luck!
I have a child who has had one anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter when she was 3. She was very afraid and afraid for a few weeks afterwards. If your daughter has had many reactions she has a reason to be fearful. They are not stupid, they know this is serious stuff and it must feel awful. I agree with the others that she should be on a good antihistamine. My daughter is getting LDA therapy (low dose allergen). They are actually injecting her with small amounts of food allergens with beta glucon..... something. This therapy started in England. There it is called EPD - Enzyme Potentiated Sensitization. Maybe it is like here, it is only administered by alternative doctors. Good Luck