It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

hankshobby HB User
I think I may be allergic to Frontline Plus

4 weeks ago I applied frontline plus to my Dogs. The day after I had hives. Now my face even swells at times. I am taking benadryl and that helps. I have never had allergies before and this really scared me. We don't have insurance at the time and I have been scared to go to the hospital due to the cost. Today we pulled up the carpets in case the front line is on them. We are hoping if we clean everything and never use frontline plus again I will stop getting hives and swelling.
I was hopine that people familiar with allergies could help me.

Thanks so much for any help. And if you think it is from the Frontline Plus. This was the first time I have ever used it. I am 37.
Thanks, Lori

Old 05-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: I think I may be allergic to Frontline Plus

Lori,

You may benefit from comparing the ingredient list in FP to that in other flea-repellants. Sometimes there is overlap of active and inactive ingredients, and it can be hard to sort out exactly what is causing the problem.

A veterinarian and/or an allergist may be able to shed some light on what the most probable allergy-inducing ingredients in the FP were.

Perhaps you used something in the past for your pet that did not cause you these problems?

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

hankshobby HB User

Thank you so much for your response. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow. I really got scared when my eyes swelled shut and lips. I hope they can tell me what is going on.

Thanks again, Lori

Old 05-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

YES!! I'm also allergic to Frontline! I discovered it because my inlaws used it on their cat. It was just like that Brady Bunch episode where Jan thinks she is allergic to the dog, but it was the flea powder. Everytime I picked up their cat, I'd get hives. But I had nver been allergic to cats EVER. I was so scared my allergies were worsening, and was becoming allergic to cats. Then I went to my parents house, and picked up and hugged the cats, and I was fine. And that is when we realized it was the Frontline.

I'm sure simply washing the carpets will help. I'm fine in my inlaws house, and I can still pet the cat as long as I wash my hand immediately afterwards.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

hankshobby HB User

Thank you so much for your response. That really makes me feel better. I love my animals and can't wait to hug them again. I wonder how long it will take to get rid of it. I have bathed them about 3 times. But I am still having problems.

Thanks again, Lori

Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankshobby
Thank you so much for your response. That really makes me feel better. I love my animals and can't wait to hug them again. I wonder how long it will take to get rid of it. I have bathed them about 3 times. But I am still having problems.

Thanks again, Lori

It sometimes takes a while for the allergic response to calm down. And if your hives were anything like mine, they were horrible, I had never seen anything like them. Cortizone cream will help a lot. And keep taking the benedryl.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
(female)

hankshobby HB User

Thanks again for the great information. These hive are all over and miserable. So much information says that if it is contact with chemicals that the rash will be at the location of contact. My hives are everywhere, but then again if it is on my hand , and I touch my mouth? Or this stuff my be absorbed in the blood stream.
I'm going to see the Dr. tomorrow.

Thanks again, you have put my mind to ease.

Lori

Old 05-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
(female)

hankshobby HB User
Talking Re: I think I may be allergic to Frontline Plus

I went to the Dr. today and he prescribed Allegra. He said he didn't think it was the frontline plus due to the symptoms. He said it was internal. I had blood work done also. I still wonder if it may be from the frontline plus since the hives and swelling started the day after use. Maybe the blood work will tell me something.

Thanks for everyone being so helpful
Lori

Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I still wouldn't rule out the Frontline. I don't blame your doctor for thinking it is internal. If your hives were like mine, they were unbelievable. I never had hives like those. Whatever the cause, keep us posted.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
(female)

hankshobby HB User

Thanks, I sure will. Did you have any swelling of hands and face with the hives?
Lori

Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes it was very swollen, and very red. And I mean RED. I've gotten hives before and they were pink. With these, I looked like a tomato. Did your doctor give you anything topical? If not get some hydrocortizone.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
(female)

hankshobby HB User

No. He only gave me allegra. I take cool showers, and soak in an oatmeal bath when it gets unberable. If you had the swelling also. It sure sounds like the Frontline. That is the only thing different when the hives and swelling started.

Since my Dogs live in the house with me. It has been difficult. I hope I can get it completly out of the house.

Thank you so much for your response.
Lori

Old 05-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
(female)

hankshobby HB User

Well, my blood work came back normal. I am still haveing hives. Hope we figure something out. Or it will get out of my system.
Thanks, Lori

Old 05-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

That stinks. I hope you feel better soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
(female)

hankshobby HB User
Smile Re: I think I may be allergic to Frontline Plus

My hives have finally seemed to calm down. I am still taking the allegra. It has been over 30 days since I applied the front line plus to the dogs. Maybe it is finally starting to leave all of our systems. I read how the frontline works and it gets into the skin and 24 hours later it is throughout the enitre skin. It said that no ordinary shampoo and water can get it off your dog. A certain shampoo with hydrogen peroxide is the only one that will work.
This has been a long learning experience. I will never use a chemical again without a lot of reserach.
Thanks for all the help.
Lori

Closed Thread