It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
(male)

smyrnaboy HB User
Claritin/Benadryl Combo & Zyrtec Problems

I'm a long-time allergy sufferer. I have been on 10 mg Zyrtec for the past 3 months. While it works well, it is really knocking me out at night-to the point where I am pushing getting late to work because I cannot wake-up easily. And due to the time release, I am getting drowsy early afternoon after lunch. It's starting to affect my alertness and productivity.

I used to take Claritin before the Zyrtec, but felt it did not work as well. Now I am back on it, because Claritin does not make me drowsy.

Is it safe to take regular old claritin in the morning, and then a benadryl at night? To help me sleep? Or is this a bad/unsafe combination?

Thanks-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Claritin/Benadryl Combo & Zyrtec Problems

Have you tried Allegra? It is a Rx antihistimine that works much better than Claritin but isn't drowsy like Zyrtec.

Also how long have you been taking it? Zyrtec made me slightly drowsy at first, but then my body adjusted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
(male)

smyrnaboy HB User

Been taking Zyrtec about 3 months. Taking every evening around 8P. By 10P, if not earlier, I am soundly asleep. Then it is really difficult getting up the following morning.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't see any reason why you can't do the claritin/benedryl thing. I ake a benedryl every night even if I took a Zyrtec that morning. But claritin was ike taking a sugar pill for me. You might want to try the allegra.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaboy
Been taking Zyrtec about 3 months. Taking every evening around 8P. By 10P, if not earlier, I am soundly asleep. Then it is really difficult getting up the following morning.

If were going to get used to it you would've by now. I would ask about Allegra. Also maybe ask about taking the pediatric dose of Zyrtec. My Claritin experience was like Tichou's, I might as well have taking a sugar pill.

But I agree the Claritin/benedryl thing wouldn't be harmful. I'm just not convinced it would work well.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
(female)

Sobi HB User

from the DOCs ive spoken to....combo-ing the drugs should not be a problem. But just ask your doc when you get a chance.

Closed Thread