It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

hollister HB User
Cortizone shot good for seasonal allergies?

My Dr. Just recommended that i get a cortizone shot and it should really help relieving me of my allergies. (I have hay fever). I won't have to take any pills, sprays, or eye drops anymore if it works. Has anyone tried this, what do you think about it? I'm miserable and can't even leave me house. I hope this works for me!! Any side effects to worry about?

Last edited by hollister; 06-07-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cortizone shot good for seasonal allergies?

I wouldn't do it just for that unless antihistamines didn't work. The shot will wind you up for days (raise your blood pressure, light headed,etc). It's nothing to fool around with. And it wouldn't last more than a few weeks at best. Are you going to an allergist or immunologist for this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

hollister HB User

I know they use cortizone shots for many problems. I was worried that it might hype me up, is it really that bad? I've heard a lot of people get this shot and swear by it and say it's great.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It isn't a great feeling, that's for sure. The last one I had was for a bee sting...never knew I was allergic to them. My arm was so swollen that I just had to do the shot.
Personally, for allergies - and I've them all my life - I wouldn't if I could get antihistamines and sprays to knock it back in a few days. It does work but the side effects are pretty grim for me.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
(female)

hollister HB User

Are cortizone and cortisone the same thing? Anyway, i'm not sure if the shot you got is the same substance i would be getting for my hay fever.

Does anyone know of any websites that talk about cortisone shots for allergies, or just cortisone so i can look into it?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

According to my dictionary (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition) the correct and only spelling is cortisone.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
According to my dictionary (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition) the correct and only spelling is cortisone.

yes I think Cortizone is the brand name of the cortisone cream, but people tend to use them interchangably.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It will probably help you, at least for a little while. And from my experience taking short courses of prednisone (oral cortisone eseentially), you will feel like a million bucks. But it is only a quick fix, its not something you can keep doing indefinitely. Getting repeated cortisone shots can cause major problems, weight gain, osteoporosis, and the symptoms Tichou discussed.

In the end the shots you really need are allergy desensitization shots.

But if you are really bad off, and need some much needed relief, it might be a good thing to do. I know when I got my short course of prednisone, it was what I needed at that time. Just don't look at it as a long term solution.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Hollister,

Yes, docs do Rx oral hydrocortisone or prednisone, as well as cortisone shots for severe hay fever. But these drugs will affect your entire body to a significant extent. Even your mood.

Have you tried a combo of cortisone-type nasal spray (Nasacort Rx) plus 1% cortisone eye drops (only Rxd by ophthamologists; even allergy/immunologists do not rx), plus cortisone-type inhaler for asthma/reactive airway (if that is a prob)? Plus an oral antihistamine like Zyrtec or Allegra.

When cortisone is applied locally, only a small fraction of the dose is used, compared to what is given in oral meds or shots. The med has local effectiveness, with fewer systemic effects. It can be used on an as-needed basis. Cortisone pills affect the entire body over an extended length of time, and the shots esp. have a fairly lengthy half-life.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=391382[/url] is a link to a post last month about cardiac events following oral Prednisone for eye allergies.

IMO it's less risky to use stack up eye/nose/oral/lung steroids at low doses than to get shots. However, it's much more expensive & perhaps a little more complicated than just getting a shot & being done with it. And, at times with severe asthma accompanying hay fever it's the only thing left to do.

Best wishes.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #10

Twickle Purple HB User

No. This is an extremely bad idea. I am shocked that a doctor would suggest this. I would find a new doctor.

Good luck.

Closed Thread