HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Can allergy eye drops make the pupil larger? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/417052-can-allergy-eye-drops-make-pupil-larger.html)

Kari7171 08-07-2006 11:45 AM

Can allergy eye drops make the pupil larger?

I have been having allergies in just my right eye which is odd in itself. The other eye gets a little irritated too but not near as bad as my right eye. So I only put allergy eye drops (Visine A) in my right eye. I noticed my right pupil is larger then my left one. Can eye drops like this cause that to happen?

tordek 08-07-2006 12:30 PM

Re: Can allergy eye drops make the pupil larger?

Oh my ****ing lord I have the exact same thing I thought I`m the only one in the world that has it, it doesn't make sense allergy only in the right eye and god damn dryness, my advice to you is to stop use these dros they just make you eyes drier... yes and 'bout the pupils that's happens.
My eyes are killing me.

tordek 08-07-2006 12:32 PM

Oh, and I`ve been at 4 eye doctors, they said nothing is wrong with the eye, that it's not even dry, but maybe it is when i have severe allergies.
Can I ask you what is the color of your eyes? are they big and bulgy?

Kari7171 08-07-2006 01:55 PM

Well the allergy eye drops Visine A have an antihistamine in them and so far have been the only thing to help. My symptoms with the allergies are I get bumps on the white of my eye and then the bump gets red and I get red lines out from each bump. It looks horrible. The antihistamine in Visine A helps get rid of these bumps. It's not regular Visine it's Visine A with and antihistamine for allergies. My eye doctor recommended them actually. My eyes aren't dry at all they have too much mucus sometimes actually. It does get much better if I don't go outside but I can't just spend the entire summer in my house. I can see within 20 minutes new bumps forming on my eye after I go outside so I know it's allergies now. Also if I take benadryl that helps a lot too but that makes me soooo tired.

I also went for 3 days without going outside at all and my eye cleared up almost completely. Then I went for a bike ride yesterday and like i said in 20 minutes I started getting these bumps on my eye and they were turning red. I'm not sure what to call them. I do know swollen conjunctiva (white part of the eye) is a symptom of allergy.

So if you are having problems and think it may be allergies. Try taking a benadry every 4-6 hours and if it helps you will know it's allergies.

My eyes are blue and not bulgy. My question though was about the size of my pupil.

Kari7171 08-07-2006 02:04 PM

There is also Opcon A which has the same ingredients as Visine A. That's what my doctor actually recommended was the Opcon A but I told him I had bought Visine A and he said it was the same. I looked up the ingredients and they are the same thing. They are both available over the counter if you want to try them. Also I'm not sure what kind of doctor you went to but if you go to an allergist which is my next step they will have all kinds of drops you can try that are even stronger. If the visine A stops working for me that's what I am going to do. Plus they will be able to tell if it's an allergy for sure. After all that's there specialty. They can even do tests to find out exactly what it is that you are allergic to.

tordek 08-08-2006 10:22 AM

It seems that people with blue eyes tend to have more problems with allergy and eye problems at akk. I myself has blue eyes and almost everyone i see with conjunctivitis has blue eyes.

sneezydiva 08-08-2006 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=Kari7171]There is also Opcon A which has the same ingredients as Visine A. That's what my doctor actually recommended was the Opcon A but I told him I had bought Visine A and he said it was the same. I looked up the ingredients and they are the same thing. They are both available over the counter if you want to try them. Also I'm not sure what kind of doctor you went to but if you go to an allergist which is my next step they will have all kinds of drops you can try that are even stronger. If the visine A stops working for me that's what I am going to do. Plus they will be able to tell if it's an allergy for sure. After all that's there specialty. They can even do tests to find out exactly what it is that you are allergic to.[/QUOTE]

My eye doctor also recommended Opcon-A over Visine-A. I don't know why, but I personally feel the Opcon-A works better. But the best allergy eyedrop of all is prescription Patanol.

sneezydiva 08-08-2006 12:00 PM

You probably do have allergies, but you might also have a sinus infection in the sinuses surrounding your one eye. I get more "gunk" in my eye whenever I get an infection.