It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Allergy meds and allergy shots...questions

First of all, I need to admit that I'm eating a big heap of humble pie LOL. I have chronic tonsillitis and was adamant that I did NOT have allergies even though the dr insisted I be tested because he felt allergies was the issue.

He prescribed me Clarinex-D (12 hour) which I didn't take because I didn't have: "itchy/watery eyes, scratchy throat, runny nose and nasal congestion" which the insert said it was prescribed for.

I had had enough today...my tonsils were swelling and I've been having low-grade night-time fevers. So I took the Clarinex with the thought of proving to my dr that it wasn't allergies and he could start investigating other causes.

I cannot believe how much better I can breathe!! My tonsils are less inflammed, my eyes which have ached for 4 years are actually not aching! My head feels less foggy/dreamy in general and I even feel like I can see more clearly. I keep taking deep breaths...it's like I've grown another lung .

Anyway, on to my questions. My dr wants to do the allergy skin testing. If the Clarinex helps is it necessary to have this done? If I am found to have allergies based on this test is it likely a dr will prescribe immunotherapy? Can I do immunotherapy and take Clarinex at the same time?

I'm enjoying this immediate relief...is it likely to last if I continue to take it? This is just a free sample and he didn't really give me directions on how to take it; is it supposed to be taken every day (says to take it in the morning) or am I supposed to wait until I have symptoms?

I take medication for insomnia, has anyone had any issues taking Clarinex and not being able to sleep or having it interfere with their sleep meds (I take Lunesta)?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Kelly

P.S. I'm 29 and have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have always blamed that for feeling poorly (I was extremely healthy until Dec. 2003...I got the flu and haven't felt well since; I've had a lot of testing done...all is normal except thyroid).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Allergy meds and allergy shots...questions

Hi Kelly,

One of the best reasons for getting allergy testing done is so that you can be knowledgeable in avoidance of your allergens. Avoidance is the foundation of all successful allergy treatment.

Last time I checked, immunotherapy was described as effective for some types of allergies, but is not always recommended. If your doc prescribes immunotherapy, you understand that you can a) dive in, b) research it first c) decide to wait d) say no thanks.

Sublingual immunotherapy (under the tongue; no shots) has been done in Europe for quite a while & is just starting to catch on in the US. Another thing to look into.

IMO it is good to get on top of allergies, one way or another. Untreated allergies can predispose one to adrenal stress, infection, immune system overload -- all kinds of crap that no one needs.

Allergies can even affect your thyroid function. I'm not saying that they caused your Hashi's here, but it is well known that the thyroid gland is replete with mast cells that dump histamine in an allergic reaction, and the histamine will affect thyroid function, at least temporarily.

Best wishes.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Allergies are funny and can present in many different forms. I also had atypical allergy symptoms. As a kid, all I had was chronic post nasal drip. My mother knew it was allergies b/c of family history, but the doctor actually told her some kids just have that! Anyway, I mention that because PND might be what is causing your tonsilitis.

You can definitely take Clarinex while getting allergy shots. BUT you can't take the Clarinex before getting tested. Doctors vary with how long you need to be off of the antihistamines, some just a week, others 3-4 weeks. So it would be wise to get tested before you get the prescription filled. Since you haven't been taking it forever, it won't take long for the Clarinex to leave your system. I agree with elmhar, it is good to know what you are allergic to, so you can avoid it. And the shots do work well, I highly recommend them.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Elmhar,

Quote:
IMO it is good to get on top of allergies, one way or another. Untreated allergies can predispose one to adrenal stress, infection, immune system overload --
This is interesting since in the last year and a half I have been constantly sick! I have never had so many colds and "flu-bugs" in my entire life.

I have had low-grade fevers every night since the beginning of July (started when I had strep which was treated with an antibiotic and cleared up). It's not high enough to force me into bed but it's high enough to make me feel pretty crummy. Is it possible for allergies to do this?

Also, my thyroid and lymph glands are chronically swollen and become painful on and off (although they're not usually painful). I've always felt all of my "neck and head stuff" must be related somehow. It just seems everything is irritating everything else...does that make sense?

Of course that may or not be the case...either way, is it a good idea to see an ENT rather than a regular dr in this situation? Currently I'm seeing a PA (physician's assistant)...the dr is not available at this particular location (he's at an office in a different town). The PA has allergies himself and gets allergy shots...I know his clinic does the testing frequently (every wednesday) and many people go there for their immunotherapy. So I don't doubt their ability...I'm just wondering about "all things considered"...not *just* the allergies.

sneezydiva,

Does PND cause you to clear your throat a lot and feel "phlegmy"? Is PND basically your nose running back instead of out? I always have a lot of phlegm (I blamed it on thyroid and tonsillitis rather than the other way around) and spend a lot of my early morning over the sink (which is so icky!!). I'm also frequently hoarse...which again, I blamed on my thyroid (and it might be that...it's just I've never considered anything else until now); can PND cause that?

Thank you both so much for your help. My dad, brother and daughter all have significant allergies (my dad actually said his cleared up a lot after moving from his life-long residence in Michigan to Oklahoma). My brother chooses to suffer with his and takes OTC meds to combat acute symptoms.

This has provoked some guilt about my daughter's situation (she's 10, has a chronic stuffy/runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, doesn't sleep well and is grumpy as a result, gets ear infections several times a year but has constant stuffiness in them and wets the bed)...we have not had her tested or treated since it never seriously impacted her life as far as we could tell (no wheezing, asthma etc...) but now I believe it DOES affect quality of life and it's unfair.

Don't misunderstand, we HAVE tried alternative solutions: chiropractic, homeopathy, diet changes, vitamin/mineral therpies and herbs. Which all do seem to help but only mildly. I think I'll schedule an appt with her pediatrician and investigate though. What is your opinion on testing and treating children her age?

I really don't know much about allergies in the medical arena; I have only researched in the alternative field. I'd appreciate any info.

Sorry to change the subject . This has all been such an eye-opener though and it has me thinking about a lot of things.

Thanks again!

Kelly

Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Oh, Elmhar, I forgot...I wanted to ask about the sublingual immunotherapy. That's something I would be very interested in. Is it available at all in the US at this point?

My PA does get off the beaten trail with treatments sometimes so I would feel comfortable asking him about it.

Do you know the company off-hand that produces it?

Thanks!

Kelly

Old 08-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDGRMama
Elmhar,

sneezydiva,

Does PND cause you to clear your throat a lot and feel "phlegmy"? Is PND basically your nose running back instead of out? I always have a lot of phlegm (I blamed it on thyroid and tonsillitis rather than the other way around) and spend a lot of my early morning over the sink (which is so icky!!). I'm also frequently hoarse...which again, I blamed on my thyroid (and it might be that...it's just I've never considered anything else until now); can PND cause that?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!!! It sounds like you have PND. It's awful isn't it? At least now you know, and can go about treating it.

As far as your daughter goes, I would get her tested. I wish my parents had when I was her age. You don't realize how bad you've felt for so long until you finally start to feel better.
Kelly

Closed Thread