It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

jaekers HB User
Would like some insight on allergy shots?

Just joined today and hope this posting doesn't upset anyone, but I'm at my wit's end!

I've been on allergy shots for 6, yes, that's 6 long years. I started mainly because of asthma, my sinuses were secondary. I was told at the time (I tested positive to 7 allergens) that they would have my dust mites under control in 6-8 months. Notice my chuckle and sarcasm here? I think NOT! After 4 years of weekly, yup weekly allergy shots and my Pulmonologist has the asthma controlled...my sinsus were starting to get really bad. New allergy doctor in same practice orders new allergy testing and sinus catscan. Two weeks later and new testing..oh, lo & behold I find out #1 the Bahia grass I tested positive to was *not* included in my serums, #2 not only am I still testing the original #4 to the dust mites, roaches, cat, etc..I am now allergic to 32 additional allergens. Can we say cry? I was hysterical to put it mildly!!! And angry. My poor husband said.."Try the new approach for a year and if you don't feel any different, stop them". I've put ALOT of time and money into this therapy. So off I go with the new program and another build-up phase. I have been getting one sinus infection after another (they have pushed me past the normal maintenance of #3 dosing to #5). Down for another sinus catscan in January only to hear the same thing. Inflammation indicitive of allergies and a mild deviated septum. I have been to three ENT's all more or less with the allergies takes perferance sort of attitude. I have just come off another course of antibiotics, two in fact for a month. Been through every nasal spray, now started Astelin last night. Am also stuck with hives they said.."99% of the time we'll never know what's causing them". I have moved from two apartments fleeing from the rugs sort of. Have NO pets sadly...and am ready to run from another rental. I am totally stuffed on the one side at night now, started doing the nasal rinses. Real fun!

I guess what I'm asking is...has anyone else felt that they allergy shots have not worked and what did you do? I have cried so much in the last two months, normal people have NO clue how bad one suffers with allergies..I dust with the mask--suffocation time--vaccumm with a Dyson...I just don't know who to turn to. I do not trust the allergy office, you get a different person everytime and two weeks ago I was switched from Bactrim DS to Avelox, had a very nasty reaction and spent the night on the bathroom floor only to contact them the next day and NO ONE was in the office to help me. I resorted to going to my Primary....

Any advice???? I would SO appreciate it and am SO sorry for the rant!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Would like some insight on allergy shots?

Well, personally, you couldn';t drag me to en ENT for allergy related issues. I see an immunologist in an allergy clinic. You should not need weekly shots after 4 years...you should be once every 4 weeks at about 6 months or so into the program and finished around 5 years. I just finshed the 5 year deal and am very happy with the outcome. I still have a little trouble but Zyrtex takes care of it...and Ilive with a 14 pound long haired cat who was my #2 allergy - right behind ragweed which is blooming so well right now! Ask around for a referral to a really good allergist. Ask your dentist, gyno, GP, whomever who they would send their family members to. THat's who you need to see. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

I would go to an alternative doctor. I don't know how close you are to Boca Raton but there is doctor there named Al Robbins who does LDA Therapy (low dose allergen). Search my user name "thegardener" and read my story about how I finally got my daughter healthy (not treated with medicines but cured), and it wasn't with traditional doctors. Taking antibiotics all of the time is really unhealthy for your gut and if you read my posts you will see why. Good Luck!

Last edited by thegardener; 08-31-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
(male)

chuck43 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Would like some insight on allergy shots?

Honey will Help Allergys if taken 1 tps. daily and it comes from near the area where you live.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I have a feeling you always had at least some of those additional allergies, that's why your first set of shots didn't help very much.

Are any of the ENTs willing to operate on the septum? I was also told my CT scan was "just allergy" inflammation. But I had an enlarged turbinate that needed reducing, and after a little nagging, my ENT agreed while I was under anyway to "just take a look" in my maxilary sinus, and he ended up removing a lot of mucus, and some of it was infected.

Have you tried nasal irrigation? It really does help prevent the infections. Als

Old 09-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

jaekers HB User

First, THANK YOU all for your replies!!!!

The allergist I had previous to this one, said an ENT won't touch me because my allergies are so severe. I also just asked the Physician Assist. who had helped me with this last bout initially said that the deviated septum is mild and that the allergies are what is causing the sinus problems. My allergies have been treated with the same office for the 4 years now. The main frustration comes from these physicians have about 8 offices all over my area and no one doctor that has treated you is in the office when you really need them. You are then given to the physician assistant and they are only there certain days Unfortunately this practice practically has this area sewn up with the HMO's. I would LOVE to switch to another allergist, get another opinion but I know that will mean MORE testing and probably another diagnosis and more shots. I feel caught in the middle. We just changed HMO's today, thank goodness too...the last one didn't much pay for the sinus cat and I'm still paying that $600 off...I'm pretty sure the new insurance covers them. And if I did have the money, I'd be running to an alternative doctor. I had been getting chiropractor adjustments done due to a pinched nerve and thought perhaps it would help with the sinuses..no go. And I have been doing the nasal rinses for the past week.

Regarding the honey? From what you posted, I need to get it from the area surrounding where I live? Not sure how to do about that.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

If you can actually consult with the ENT, I would. If you explain to them that the shots haven't helped you very much, they might be willing to fix the septum, and once they have you under, you might convince them to explore. And IMHO fixing the septum will help, especially if you keep getting the infections on the side that it deviates to.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
(male)

tordek HB User

sneezydiva, I really think your doctor did not really "Looked up in your maxilary sinus and cleaned it".
I`m positive that no doctor would risk taking a look on your sinuses without having a proof that it's infected.
I really think he just told he cleaned it cause he thought you've something psychological with your sinuses..
I hope i'd get a doctor who cares that much

Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

sarahbell HB User

Hello,
Does health insurance cover any of the office visit and/or treatment that you spoke of for Dr. Robbins?

Old 09-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tordek
sneezydiva, I really think your doctor did not really "Looked up in your maxilary sinus and cleaned it".
I`m positive that no doctor would risk taking a look on your sinuses without having a proof that it's infected.
I really think he just told he cleaned it cause he thought you've something psychological with your sinuses..
I hope i'd get a doctor who cares that much

Nope. he really did it. And I should add that my allergist gave him his 2 cents too, which was probably more persuasive than my nagging. The extra procedure was rejected by Tricare for months, until finally the ENT changed the coding slightly and it was accepted. To this day my right sinus drains better, because the opening is enlarged. If only he had been brave enough to "just take a look" on the left side too!

But yeah, this is the downside to CT scans. Now everything is supposed to be preauthorized. And they only say you have an infection when the sinus looks white. But tons of people have fuzziness that indicates inflammation. This is labeled as "just allergy" But in my case it turned out to be infection anyway. They used to just open you up and clean you out completely. Now they do the minimum to save the HMO money. I really don't understand it. Some people get repeated surgeries because the first one wasn't thorough enough. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have just one extensive surgery? Not to mention the cost all the doctor visits and meds.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 09-09-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

Sarahbell, the alternative doctor that I went to in Cinncinati was a DO who participated with Humana. We have a good Humana policy and the office visit and most testing was covered even though we lived 1 1/2 hours away. We just had to pay the co-pay and for the therapies and homeopathic medications. I am going to write a letter to Humana and tell them that for them this is really the cheaper way to go. After a few more LDA shots we will be done. In the long run this is cheaper and of course it works. It's cheaper because now we are done with all of the allergy meds and the years of traditional allergy shots. So I guess it depends on if Dr. Robbins participates with your insurance. I would have gotten a weekend or evening job (I am a stay-home mom now), gotten a bank loan or sold my house to cure my daughter of her debilitating food allergies, however. If you go, be patient. I had to take my daughter there for a year (she was very sick) and sometimes it tested my faith in it but I continued (my husband would have never done it, he had no faith in it). We are so happy with the results and it makes me sad to see
others suffering so with their allergies when they don't have to. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited by thegardener; 09-16-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
(female)

june_gemini HB User

I've been on allergy injections since I was 15 & I'm 34 now and still get them once every 3 weeks.

The injections schedule depends alot on your reactions to the serum, each serum increases the amount of allergiens by small amounts each time you get a new vial of serum.

If you are reacting with swelling or large redness in the injection area each time you receive the shot the next vial of serum may stay at the same strangth as the last as they do no want to increase until you have little or no reaction to the shot and then increase.

It's all about building up your resistance. Some people take longer than others.

Hope this helps a little, I would also suggest getting a doctor that specializes in allergies & asthma.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

I really feel for ya jaekers. I've been on shots since i was 8, and at 23 I still get them once every 2 weeks, but they dont help me completely. I've been on everything from zyrtec to flonase. I do highly recommend the Neil med sinus rinse or hydropulse irrigator.

I had septoplasty (didnt do much) and they cleaned out one of maxillary sinuses (big whoop!)

This lead me to getting a food allergy test done, about one month ago, called(ELISA). It tested for 90 diff foods for $175. It was very beneficial to me b/c I was experiencing high delayed reactions to a few foods which I ate regularly (Whey, eggs, coffee bean, and sesame). I went to a homeopathic doc. Even my allergist told me to go for it b/c of the number of foods it tests for.

Also, my homeopathic doctor tested and is now treating my thyroid (not quite as optimal as it could be) b/c it can cause a host of problems, including allergies. (Im trying to get to the root of my problem, instead of just treating the allergies themselves b/c thyroid "could" worsen them). If you are ever going to get tested for that u need a tsh, ft3 and ft4. even if ur tsh is normal, as mine was, your ft3 and ft4 may tell a different story.

That is why if ur allergiest/ent are not getting the job done for u, I would go to a homeopathic doctor b/c they will do the food allergy testing as well as treating your body as a whole, not just symptoms.

Do what u feel is best, but I just wanted to try a different approach b/c I was not getting anywhere with the mainstream doctors.

Closed Thread