It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
(male)

eatnow HB User
is it okay to use saline nasal mist a lot?

I assume there is nothing wrong with using it a lot? I've been using an otc saline nasal mist by Ayr and was wondering if it is okay to do that and is it making my nose drier? It is suppose to be just salt/water, but the ingredients list a lot of stuff compared to other saline sprays and was wondering if that is a bad thing? Just concerned that i might be using the ayr salnie nasal mist too much since i go through a bottle of those every 3-4 days since the weather been really hot/humid lately in cailfornia (usually throw away the ayr saline nasal mist bottle once it is about 60% used up since it doesn't seem to give the same effect when its starts to get low) and that it is actually making my nose even more dry? I read that some people that the saline nasal sprays in the long run actually makes your nose more dry?

Last edited by eatnow; 09-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: is it okay to use saline nasal mist a lot?

I don't think saline dries you out. Immediately after my sinus surgery, I was told to use it constantly. If I'm not mistaken, Ayr is preservative free. In any event, since you use it so often, you want to make sure it is preservative free, as it is the preservatives that can dry you out an create problems.

Have you tried nasal irrigation? Actually irrigating your nose once or twice a day, would probably help you not need to use the spray as often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
(male)

eatnow HB User

I do sinus rinse once a day or once every few days. Other than that, i use otc saline mist like ayr, ocean, etc. IT seems almost all of them list somethign like preserved with disodium EDTA and benzalkonium choloride (listed by ayr). Ocean otc saline spray list phenycabinol and benzalkonium choloride as preservatives. I think almost all otc saline nasal sprays include preservatives in it except Simply saline which mentions how its preservative free, etc. HOwever all the otc nasal spryas mention how their not habit forming, etc and how their non medicated. So i have no idea what those preservatives are in the otc saline nasal sprays

Old 09-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I am in a hot desert climate with low humidity so the nasal moisturizers are a must for me too.

Have you tried Xlear soothing and moisturizing nasal wash with xylitol. The ingredients are purified water, xylitol, saline, and grapfood seed extract. I am an Ayr user, but the last comple months I have been having some success with Xlear. I haven't found it at most of the local stores where I typically get the Ayr, but my pharmacist carries it.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-01-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
(male)

eatnow HB User

I'll have to look into that, but ihave found a brand called simply saline which is just purified water and .9%sodium chloride. I believe its the only brand that is perservative free, etc. I was just curiuos if all those otc saline sprays were non habit forming. It seems as though when i use ayr i tend to get moreaddicted to it. Just kind of afraid its like Afrin, where it causes an addiction. Or maybe its just in my head and its the weather which is making my nose more dry and i just need it more? I just want to make sure Ayr isn't habit forming even htough it mentinos how its non medicated, alcohol free and how you can use it as often as needed like all the other otc saline nasal sprays.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It's not addictive the same way Afrin is, so do not worry. Feel free to use it as often as you need.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
(male)

eatnow HB User

I thougth so too, but after reading some stuf fon the net, the preservative disodium EDTA and benzalkoonium choloride actually does cause an addiction to some point (for my dryness). Its also listed no some ENT pages that some people should avoid it, granetd its nowhere as bad as Afrin, just it should be avoided, because of the benzalkonium preservative found in Ayr. Great, now its like i have an afrin sort of addiction . I swtiched to simply saline which is preservative free and is just purified water/sodium chloride and also a sinus rinse.

Closed Thread