It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

mishmish HB User
Question i could really use some help

i have recently been diagnosed with severe allergies, some of the most severe being ragweed, dust and weeds. i live in indiana where the ragweed is predicted to break record levels this year.

my problem is that i'm experiencing so many weird symptoms that i'm overwhelmed by all of them. everytime i have an appointment with my ent he is overbooked and won't take the time to answer my questions. what i was hoping you guys could help me with is let me know whether these symptoms are normal and if so, what can i do to bring relief? claritin just makes me sicker, fyi.

*ringing in my ears (what prompted me to see an ent)
*nausea and dizziness
*tingling and numbness in hands and feet
*groggy very out-of-it feeling
*pains all through my head
*constant spots in vision, like you get when you stand up too fast
*cramp feeling in my jaw
*lump in my throat
*weakness and fatigue

as you can tell, i've been pretty uncomfortable lately. the last few days have been especially bad, and all of these symptoms are literally making me feel crazy. i'm 25 and i don't feel like leaving my house. are these pretty typical symptoms for someone who has severe allergies, or should i attempt to see another doctor? please if you have ANY advice i would appreciate it SO MUCH!!!

thank you
Michelle, indpls

Old 09-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

Blondie313 HB User
Re: i could really use some help

Sorry you are feeling bad, I can relate! You honestly sound like you are having migarines with the allergies, I am going throught the same thing. See my post about the MSNBC article and the possible link. My doc to me the same thing today. Migraine can have lots of weird associated pains and feelings. My arm gets pressure and tingles with the referred pain, it is weird. I have clean MRIs and CT scans, and this all points to my allergies.
Good luck...try more caffiene and OTC pain relievers for the head stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Get some zyrtec for starters. The claritin doesn't work for a lot of people. And find an allergist - not an ENT.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

mishmish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie313
Sorry you are feeling bad, I can relate! You honestly sound like you are having migarines with the allergies, I am going throught the same thing. See my post about the MSNBC article and the possible link. My doc to me the same thing today. Migraine can have lots of weird associated pains and feelings. My arm gets pressure and tingles with the referred pain, it is weird. I have clean MRIs and CT scans, and this all points to my allergies.
Good luck...try more caffiene and OTC pain relievers for the head stuff.
thank you blondie. it's ironic that you said that. i felt TERRIBLE all day yesterday, and my sister told me that she woke up with a migraine. i've been fortunate enough to not suffer with from migraines, but they do run in my family. i'll have to mention this to my doc becasue it seems like they should be able to give me migraine meds. i've just been rreaking out because everytime i look up my symptoms on the web it pulls up stuff like brain tumors, brain cancer, crazy stuff like that!!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
(female)

joygrisham HB User

I have to ditto finding an allergist.....it's irresponsible for the ENT to not be able to answer your questions. You have every right to ask as many as you want and get thoughtful answers.... He's overbooking..

Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

Blondie313 HB User

Mish,
I have never had migraines either, but my allergist thinks they are related and now that article just validates it all for me. Have they checked your eustachian tubes? My allergies have caused ear tube dysfunction which add to the pressure and triggers the migraines. I have never had anything like this before. Good luck!!!

Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I agree with everyone else, find an allergist/immunologist--not an ENT. ENTs are primarily surgeons, and if they don't have a reason to cut you open, they simply don't have time to answer your questions. This trend of ENTs giving allergy shots annoys me, because you absolutely do not get the same level of care and compassion from an ENT as you do a real allergist.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie313
Mish,
I have never had migraines either, but my allergist thinks they are related and now that article just validates it all for me. Have they checked your eustachian tubes? My allergies have caused ear tube dysfunction which add to the pressure and triggers the migraines. I have never had anything like this before. Good luck!!!

Migraines can also be difficult to distinguish from sinus headaches. My MIL suffers from debilitating migraines that she was told for years were sinus headaches.

Also, she has food allergies that trigger her migraines.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
(female)

mishmish HB User

thank you so much for all of the correspondance. i've been very worried/paranoid that there's simply something else wrong with me due to the other symptoms. everyone keeps telling me i'm crazy and have anxiety issues. it's relieving to hear that i'm not the only one who experiences these weird sensations. yes, the ent said that my eustacian (sp?) tubes are deformed, but i just didn't understand all of the other things - pains throughout my head, sinking in the floor feeling when i stand, dizziness and nausea, seeing spots constantly... these things really freak me out to the point that i was ready to REQUEST an mri!! how crazy would that make me sound... i definetly agree that there's multiple reasons to let this doc go and find an allergist who can make time for me.

thanks again!

Old 09-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
(male)

Yikes777 HB User
Re: i could really use some help (lengthy post)

Of all of the posts I have read on this board, this one hits closest to home.

2 years ago I started having these same wierd symptoms. Weakness, sinus pressure, terrible general and muscle fatiigue, odd numbness in my extremeties, headaches, my shoulders and neck get very sore, dizziness (which than God has been much better) and an odd bitter/metalic taste in my mouth. All of this can vary depending on seasons and especially weather changes! Sinus infections and antibiotics are the norm.

I saw a ton of Doctors and have had a whole bunch (like MS) ruled out. I spent our savings on TMJ treatment and making the heating system and crawlspace in our home more envoronmentally friendly.

I saw 4 allergists. 2 of them were really of no help. One said that I should just go to Mayo Clinic, as he said that alergies only cause nasal symptoms and mild fatigue. He took my 15.00 co-pay and left the room! The other said "hey, alot of people don't feel good so maybe yes, but maybe no on the allergies" LOL

I was also diagnosed with anxiety and depression and saw a therapist. After doing some real digging she told me that in no way was the anxiety the cause of my symptoms, but the effect of going from being a tough guy who was never sick to someone who looks up odd symptoms on the internet and feeling like a zombie! LOL Since hearing that my anxiety went away and I focused on getting better.

The bottom line is that 2 of the Allergists and one really cool ENT have all said that allergies can make you feel exactly as we do! The over production of histimine in the system can really make you feel terrible. The trick is finding your triggers and eliminating them, hence eliminating your exposure. Migraines can often be caused by allergies so you get into the old vicious cycle.

Immunotherapy is another option that works very well for many people. If your symptoms are more than seasonal I would really think of mold and dust as common triggers. Then you need to evaluate what else may be causing some of this. Although not quick to advise me to spend $$ I don't have and do a major remodeling, my Allergist suspects that the carpet we had installed may be causing some of my problem. The problem is that there is no way to test for it and short of finding another place to stay for a month, the only option is to tear it up and go with different flooring.

The bottom line is that you're not crazy. I'm a firefighter, not a Doctor, so I can't say for sure that all of this is your answer, but my research says that you just may be on the right path.

I hate the fact that you're feeling poorly. The bottom line is that you're not crazy and there are people in the exact same boat as you. In fact I have a co-worker who has had an eerily similar set of symptoms for a few months longer that I have. We work at the same firehouse, but on a different shift, so the theory of an exposure to something at a fire is possible, but not probable. We saw a few of the same Doctors, but are seeing totally different Docs and all are saying ALLERGIES.

Oh, and one more thing. About 13 years ago I went through something very similar. I did the Doctor hop and was treated by an awesome Allergist and I was back to myself within a few weeks. He has retired, and I wish so badly that I could contact him for a referal. This time it seems to be trickier, but I'm seeing the same pattern.

Had enough of me?

Have a great day!

Jack

Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: i could really use some help

Hi mish mish
I was doing some research for myself on allergies and came across your post.. I couldn't believe that what you wrote is actually how I feel.. I couldn't have wrote it better myself! I have been suffering with this feeling for along time now, and I also was told I have anxiety, and yes I do suffer from anxiety but the anxiety is brought on by that sinking to the floor feeling you mentioned. I always explain it as a "elevator sensation" as if I was sinking or falling. When standing I feel a swaying sensation as if I am going to fall over..
I suffer from daily tension type sinus headaches, crackling sounds in my ears, dizziness, nausea just feeling horrible! My Doctor looks at me as if I am crazy when I tell her this and she says it's stress.. I disagree completely!!! I also have some sharp ear pains as well as itchy ears.
My right ear always seems to have the crackling sounds like a bad speaker connection, and any sort of sound creates this crackling as well as yawning, speaking, sometimes just swallowing.
I was sent home from the doctors numerous times with an antibiotic and some nasal spray, but this has never fixed the problem.. I mentioned these symptoms on the inner ear disorder board as well as ent board and never really found someone other then you who feels the exact same way. I am wondering if you can tell me what your diagnosis was I know you mentioned tube dysfunction, have you found any relief from any kind of treatment... I would pay 1 million dollars to get rid of this dizzy feeling.. I have had it for so long and feel as if my life is passing my by from always being dizzy.. I find it hard to function somedays, my head feels like it's floating.. does that make sense? I was beginning to think I was crazy until I found your post..
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.. Please know you are not alone on this one I know exactly how you feel and it's horrible.
Thanks so much for any reply! boxer lover

Old 09-12-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
(female)

mishmish HB User

boxer lover and jack, you have no idea what a relief it is to hear from you. i'm not happy that you guys are experiencing these symptoms, but it's comforting to know that these symptoms are more than likely just really weird allergies. i can handle sinus headaches, stuffiness, sneezing... but all of these weird things getting thrown at me all at once is driving me CRAZY and i've been soooooo worried that it's something other than allergies. my inquisitive mind and the wonderous internet have helped calm my concerns either.

boxer lover, unfortunatley i am just going through the diagnosis process and as i said before, my doc is overbooked EVERY time i go and will not take the time to answer my questions. he's a cosmetic surgeon as well, so i kinda wonder if my little consults just aren't bringing in the dough that rhinoplasty and cheek implants do. yes, during my first visit with him he took five minutes and stuck a fork up my nose (my nose is crooked), look in my ears (my tubes are deformed) and feel my throat (my thyroid is enlarged). he gave me some kind of hearing test and determined that i've experienced no hearing loss and don't have any kind of infection. at this point he prompted me to have a ct of my sinuses and allergy testing. my sinuses are swollen and he was talking surgery until he saw my allergy results and said that we should go the route of shots instead.

all of this is fine and fabulous except he hasn't mentioned my ears since my first appointment with him... and it sounds to me from the looks of these messages and people i've spoken with that the majority of our weird and terribly uncomfortable symptoms are resulting from some kind of ear problem. the dizziness, nausea, ringing, sinking and even the spots can all be from vertigo. which is fabulous but now what?

i totally understand your anxiety. everyone keeps telling me i've got anxiety as well, and i tell them it's because of the weird experiences i've been having, not vice versa. and what's worse is that all of these weird things are accumulative. it seems like i've got something new happening to me every week almost. i guess i find it difficult to accept that these are all a result of allergies because they just started out of nowhere and keep popping up out of nowhere.

i'll do my best to keep you posted on any further information i get. i've been researching the internet almost daily trying to find something that will help me understand all of this, and i've been planning on scheduling another appointment with doc so that i can FORCE some info out of him and perhaps ask for a referal to an allergist.

so do you guys experiece headaches other than your typical sinus,forehead aches? because i get headaches in the top/sides/back of my head all of the time. kind of like a stabbing pain, and it seems to be mostly on the right side... just kinda curious if that's another bond we share.

thanks again for writing!! it's good to know i'm not crazy. totally.

michelle

Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: i could really use some help

Hi Michelle,
Oh your not crazy and if you were I am just as crazy as you!
Your tube dysfunction alone can be the cause of the vertigo you are experiencing, as well as your thyroid problem.
Why haven't your Doctor's addressed to you that this may be the cause? I know from TONS of research that I have done for myself that vertigo is caused by a number of things,
Anything from neck injury to blood pressure problems, hormonal (THYROID ~ DYSFUNCTION) anemia, Neurological problems, Migraines, anxiety, TMJ disorder, cardiac problems, BUT most common and the number one cause is inner ear disorders.. Such disorders consist of ear wax, perforation of eardrum, Blockage or dysfunction of the Eustachian tube, as well as the ear canal, otitis media, and meniere's syndrome..
If you have a dysfunction in your Eustachian tube as you mentioned this would indeed cause vertigo.. Your next step should be to see a neurotologist and have proper testing done. There is a chair test that is done especially for vertigo diagnosis. I have been told that many vertigo suffers that have gone to a regular ENT doctor, was told they were okay still suffered from vertigo and wasn't properly Diagnosed until they saw a neurotologist. I saw an ENT doctor years ago when all this first started and was told I was okay... How could I be okay when I could hardly stand without feeling like I was swaying on a boat at sea... I seen a neurologist and was told I was experiencing vertigo but never was given a cause.. Here I am years later.. still feeling the vertigo and never getting to the true cause.. always a run around, this doctor pushing you off to the next, the next pushing you to the other I became so frustrated and so sick of hearing that I was having anxiety! The truth is the "anxiety" was all coming from the vertigo.. EVERY vertigo suffer will tell you they have anxiety second to the vertigo.. When I get that sinking feeling you described that instantly brings on a panic attack.
You asked me whether or not I have headaches? EVERYDAY!! I live on Advil or Motrin.. They can be anywhere from a tension type migraine, where there is so much pressure in my head, to a stabbing pain.. I also get a lot of pressure and tired feeling in my eyes, also common for vertigo..
I am lucky if I can go 2 days a month without a headache, I thought perhaps I was suffering from some kind of migraine disorder, I do have TMJ so my headaches could be coming from that to.. I did read that headaches are also very common for inner ear disorders, as well as fatigue, Because your brain is working extra hard to compensate for your vestibular dysfunction. Is your vertigo worse when standing/sitting up verses laying down? For me if I lay down the motion sensation subsides.. Some days it is so difficult to function properly with vertigo, I find the littlest things to be a challenge, and having a toddler is a challenge enough!!! I am waiting and soon will be going back to the doctor's and hopefully get a referral to an neurotologist, and hopefully can find all the answers to my vertigo journey!! This time though I am going to be a little bit smarter with all the researching I have done.. I am not going to settle for some nasal spray and antibiotics like I have done for the past years.. This time I want answers and I think you also should push your doctor's and do the same.. No one should have to live like this, it's a horrible feeling!
I hope this post helps you, any thoughts or questions please feel free to ask.. I truly know how you feel so please don't think your alone, you by no means are not.
Sorry for such a long post, I look forward to your response!
Boxerlover (boxers leave paw prints in our hearts forever) >

Last edited by boxerlover227; 09-12-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
(female)

grandkidsrg8 HB User

hi i don't know if this will help you any but it's worth a shot- i have terrible allergies-year round-i'm on allegra for the last 10 years and i also take flonase- what helps tremendously is ENTsol -a saline nasal spray that clears out the sinuses 123! anyway i'm just trying to show you that i'm an allergy sufferer and know the pain and havoc it wreaks on the whole body- yet may i suggestthat if you are dizzy as well have your iron levels checked. i woke up so dizzy for a couple of weeks and finally had a blood test and they found my hemoglobin had dropped to five and that was causing my dizziness and memory problems etc i don't know if it applies to you but it might be worth a shot- good luck you have my total support!!

Old 09-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
(female)

redsands HB User

sORRY YOU ARE FEELING THIS WAY- DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU ARE LOSING IT- I BET LOTS OF PEOPLE HERE HAVE HAD THOSE SYMPTOMS- I HAVE- SEE A DR. JUST TO MAKE SURE- ALLERGIST ENT WHO SPECIALIZIES IN EAR- DIZZINESS PROBLEMS
my tests all came out normal- they look in my ear-no fluid- but I do have pressure and discomfort inside my ear- I have had a few bouts of vertigo. Here is what I have been doing- and it has helped.
I got a list of very specific exercises from my dr-not the Cawthorne-Crooksey ones-.
I also found that my allergy shots which and ent suggested have been helpful. During High allergy season- which is now- late August-October, and then again in the spring= I take claritin and try not to spend much time in the outdoors if possible- if i am really clogged- I also take sudafed.
I can't stress enough that since I have been doing the exercises i haven't had any vertigo- occassionally - a flleeting one- but nothing like it used to be. I do the exercises every day-never miss.

Closed Thread