It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

Run262 HB User
I fired my allergist and quit the allergy shots!

Hi all -

I don't post much on this board - more of a lurker I guess. But I just wanted to share my experiences recently with my allergy doctor and what he did.

I recently started allergy shots for a severe allergy I have to molds - go figure. The shots started out just fine, but as soon as they went up in the dosing I started having a reaction: chest tightness and pain about 30 minutes after the shot - not a good thing to have.

What was weird about the reaction was that all my vitals stayed the same, it was just chest pain/tightnes and some dizziness that would last about 15 minutes and then start to fade. The doctor, finally chalked it up to what he called a vasovagal response - basically, I was reacting to the actual shot, not the antigen. Kind of like when some people faint after getting hurt or seeing blood - this response is governed by the vagus nerve.

Anyway, I did some research on this response recently and found that studies have shown that MOLD allergies can and do affect the vagus nerve at times. I showed it to my doctor this week prior to to getting the allergy shot - he said, "hummm, interesting" but probably thinking, (this girl is crazy).

So, I proceeded to get my shot and wait for the response to happen again. Prior to the shot the nurse asked me if I had been sick for the past 24 hours, standard protocol, I said, not not really, a little congested but nothing too bad. So, I got the shot and 20 minutes later I start to feel a little light headed but nothing like before.

The next thing I know, the nurse said the doctor wants to see me, I go back and see the doctor who asks how I'm feeling, I tell him, I'm a little lightheaded with some chest tightness but nothing too bad - he then said, "Well, just so you know, we gave you saline this time to see what would happen, and obviously your reaction is not from the antigen but from the shot."

I was horrifed they did this to me. At this point, I was so beside myself that I couldn't explain that I was kind of feeling this way before the shot - it would have just sounded like I was even more crazy than he obviously thought I was. I'm still ****** about this. Needless, to say, I told him that I would not be continuing with the allergy shots and would just treat the symptoms as they arose - he said that plan was fine, and then I walked out.

Thing is - I was ready to stop the allergy shots anyway as getting them every week was just a pain - my allergies for some reason are just seasonal and I'll just deal with them on an as needed basis.

Thoughts on what happened ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I fired my allergist and quit the allergy shots!

Well, it WAS very creative of your doc to try this! And since I go to an MD.PhD, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled something like this as we are always debating the "science" of the particular treatment, med, etc.

That being said, I can see where someone would be at least a little miffed that this was done. But mad enough to walk out over it? Not really. But I do have a question for you. Were you ever advised to take an antihistamine the morning of your injections? If not, then I'd be more upset they didn't recommmend that first as that is the standard way to do the injections. If they did and you did take one, then it probably wasn't the antigen but some other factor that caused the symptoms. In which case, I leave the deductions and further treatment up to you.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Your doctor is an arrogant SOB. I don't blame you for walking out. What kind of doctor was he? Is he a board certified immunologist or is he an ENT? There is absolutely no reason why he couldn't reduce the dose or dilute the extracts for you--even if he thought it was in your head. They are supposed to take any type of reactionlocal or genralized very seriously, and reduce the dosage accordingly. That is the proper thing to do, not try to humiliate you with this little placebo test.

I had horrible problems when first starting my shots. I'd get through the first vial, and then start to have problems like you described. My allergist did 2 things. First, he diluted the extracts not once, but twice. Then when I continued to have problems, he seperated out the dustmites into it's own shot, after he deduced that they were the main problem. After that I quickly progressed with the other allergens, and we continued to go slowly with the dustmites.

That's what a real doctor is supposed to do. Please don't give up on the shots. Not all allergists are like yours. Please try to find another doctor.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 09-30-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

I think that that was clever of the doctor. Now don't let your ego stop you from getting medical treatment!

Closed Thread