It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

Kistome HB User
Unhappy Itchy rash as opposed to non-itchy rash

Hope someone can maybe clarify a few things for me. I am really scared of this rash I have that began on my arms, went up to my shoulder, now on back of neck, front of neck, my face and forehead, upper chest, knees, and shins. I saw my GP doctor first and he said it looked like contact dermatitis. I then went to a dermatologist about a month later and he looked at it and said Eczema.

It looks like heat rash but is not heat rash, as I haven't been in the sun all summer and I stay pretty cool in the house. Besides, it doesn't go away like a heat rash would. It's like teeny tiny little bumps that itch in patches, and sometimes rather large areas, such as the whole backside of my neck and upper shoulders. On my face it resembled acne, but very small bumps very close together with a sandpaper like feel.

Anyway...I have been reading the boards and I am getting a little stressed and nervous because this is not going away. I have had it now for about 4 months off an on. I worry about HIV or Lymphoma, but for one I am not in the risk category of someone who would get HIV (been with same person for 13 years, and not a drug user) so then my mind wanders to the Lymphoma thing. But no swollen lymph nodes, and this rash itches. I read that the HIV rash and Lymphoma type rashes do not itch. I guess that is what I want clarified. If a rash itches, is it more likely to be allergy?

One other symptom is that I have horrible nasal stuffiness pretty much every day when I wake in the morning. Today I have had it all day long, with some pressure around eyes. My eyes feel a bit watery and itchy too. I am so frustrated with this rash, the itchiness and not knowing what it is or how to control it. Nothing helps, I have tried Benadryl, OTC antihistimine meds, Claritin etc. It doesn't look like eczema to me, as my daughter has it and hers has never been so widespread, nor with the tiny little bumps.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
(female)

joygrisham HB User
Re: Itchy rash as opposed to non-itchy rash

I really have no answers to your questions, but can tell you that I get all types of rashes all the time....some itchy, some not......and they are all allergy/sensitive skin related.

I hope you get some answers soon.....having a constant rash, itchy or not itchy, is awful...

Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

Was psoriasis ruled out?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
(female)

Kistome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegardener
Was psoriasis ruled out?
No psoriasis was not ruled out. My dermatologist took one look at it and immediately said Eczema. I asked him why the little bumps and he just said it's a different type. Plus my nose is so itchy inside all the time and I have that PND or where it drips down the back of my throat. The only thing that might help is once it gets cooler here, the allergy may back off. I'm hoping that whatever it is will eventually go dormant. (I think it's a plant or weed in backyard or neighbors yard).

I can live with it if it's just an allergy. I worry about the worse case scenario things more though. I just had a blood work up in March for something else and that included a CBC and thyroid testing and it all came back normal. My rash on arms came up in June, and the little bumps didn't appear till mid August after I wore a long sleeve shirt to work in 110 degree weather.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

mrsblong HB User
Question Re: Itchy rash as opposed to non-itchy rash

Hello, I just wondered if your rash subsided. My mother, who is 74 has a similar rash, she took Zyrtec and the rash is better but when she quit taking the Zyrtec, the itch came back. My mom is allergic to MANY things. She has worn gloves for YEARS to do the dishes. Dial soap was the only soap she could use for the past 20 years, now she may be allergic to it.
I've had a similar reaction to something. My mom thinks it's the shampoo. I changed shampoo and I'm better, most of my reaction was itching just in my eyes and nose. My eyes were red and watering. As soon as I quit using the shampoo, the watering eyes stopped.
I hope your well.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
(female)

gerty60 HB User

I suggest you have allegy testing.
I've had the same thing . It started as a sore on my forearm about 12 years ago,gradually spreading over my shoulder, around the back of my head and into my scalp. It finally moved on to my lower neck and chest, always on the right side of my body. I am covered with scars from all the scratching .I doctored with my GP for a number of years, but the itching was driving me crazy. Finally, I wasted my time going to dermatologists, the creams , they gave me only made things worst.
Finally some one suggested I see a allergist, that was 6 weeks ago, and after the skin test, I found out I am allergic to corn,wheat,soybeans,tomates and apples, along with alcohol, which is in the creams, I was applying to my skin.
I am so releived, following this diet isn't easy,(corn is every where) but I feel so much better. Except for a couple of tiny bumps,the itching has subsided,and I finally can sleep through the night again

Closed Thread