It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #1

hovan HB User
Question Re: thick mucus, is this an allergy

I hope this is an allergy. It gives me comfort to read the same symptoms. Mine are thick mucus that will not go away. Suffering for at least 3 months, anxiety, fear of choking, always on the right side. So far bp meds changed 3 times, heart cath because I failed a stress test to find my heart is okay. Now going for sleep apnea testing. The sleep MD has suggested Mucinex, 2 -600 twice daily, hepa filter in the bedroom and a script for a nasal steroid. He said should disappear in three weeks. I have my fingers crossed. At the end of week one....no relief. Increased fluid also recommended to loosen it.
I have been side tracked. I have had other medical issues my doctor has address first, and my biggest fear is still plaguing me...please..please...Has anyone received a diagnosis with the same sysmtoms. I used to wake up once in a while with almost a spot in my upper right side that was starving for air. It was almost like a big empty hole that is now filled with heavy mucus backing up into my throat. I am taking zyrtec but does it help. I don't think so, but mucus is even more choking with out it...help

Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: thick mucus, is this an allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrbetty
hi all, I have very thick mucus in my throat that never goes away. It just sits in my throat [right side] no matter what I do I can't swallow it down,it's to thick and seems to get stuck in the same spot. My Ent thinks it's stomach acid from my Gerd. my gastro Dr. says no way. My family Dr. thinks it might be allergies. I can't afford to get tested for food allergies.
has anyone had/have this problem?
thank-you
Betty

It sounds like allergies to me. Have you tried just taking an antihistamine and seeing if it helps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #3

hovan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
It sounds like allergies to me. Have you tried just taking an antihistamine and seeing if it helps?
I take zyrtec, mucinex and nasacort. There may be other options but because of high blood pressure my doctor won't let me take it. I am working to get my weight down with watching my diet and walking. I seem to have developed the high bp followed shortly by the mucus. I am hoping to get off the bp meds and see if it helps. I would look forward to sneezing, it might get some of it out. I have never had a health issue that seems to consume every waking moment of the day. It is hard to get focused on the more positive aspects of life. Anything suggested is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Sinus irrigation will help with mucous caused by allergies. Here is a homemade recipe approved by my doctors:

1 cup boiled water
1/2 teaspoon plain salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Stir to dissolve.
Strain thru paper coffee filter.
Put in clean nasal spray bottles.

To use:
Lie on back with head hanging off bed.
Squirt a few squirts of "room temperature" solution into each nostril.
Turn head slowly from side to side.
While getting up say "KKKKKK" to keep solution from running down throat.
Blow gently when needed.
Irrigate morning and night.
If solution is too drying, add 1 drop plain glycerin to each bottle.

This is a great way to clean out the sinuses. Gets rid of junk that can/will turn into an infection. Washes out the inhalent allergens.

Another thing that helps is taking Mucinex or 1 teaspoon plain Robitussin at bedtime, nothing to drink after. This will thin mucous.

Misty
I am not a medical professional, speak from experience only.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

hovan HB User
Talking Re: thick mucus, is this an allergy

I will try it....thanks

Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I have sinus problems with both allergies and acid reflux (confirmed by 24 hr probe). Taking two PPI's a day, in addition to 4 allergy meds, has helped with some of my symptoms. I suggest you do a search of the threads on the acid reflux board for the subject of LPR. It is a type of reflux that has PND, and throat symptoms. There is a lot of great information available on this board regarding that topic.

If your reflux is LPR, you need to make sure you get on TWO PPI's a day, Nexium and Prevacid work well. One a day, which most doctors start with, will not take care of your symptoms.

Good luck finding your answer.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #7

hovan HB User

I will look where you suggested. Acid reflux is an idea given my past history.
I can't tell you how good it feels to find people with the same problems willing to help...Thanks to all....

Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
(female)

OhDonnaCA HB User

is there anything that will help get rid of the PND? i wake up several tiems a night coughing...also get a tickle in my throat....i wake up coughing every morning for the first couple of hours and i also cough after i eat from the mucus...my doctor says my coughing is asthma and gave me an inhaler...well i still have the coughing so i dont think thats it...all i know is i can't brush my teeth anymore without gagging nor can i swallow pills...i'm sooo sick of this...just wish it would go away! am thinking about going to see an ear,nose & throat doctor...i have kaiser in northern california...i am afraid i'm gonna have this forever..i'm driving myself, my husband & my co-workers crazy!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #9

hovan HB User

My sysmptoms seem a little different. Morning seems to be my best time. I have a hepa air filter and humifier in the bedroom. The doctor said use the humifier at night only, but never turn off the hepa. I also take 2 mucinex 600mg time released in a.m. and p.m. The mucus is far from gone. I also have a ton of meds like nasacort aq and zyrtec. Next trip to the doctor I will explore the gerd possibility. In the mean time, I have a few hours during the day I can forget about it. Getting to sleep is the worst. I am afraid I will choke. Question, how long have you had this. For me it is about 3 months. It seems like forever. I read one thread, poor lady had pnd 6 years. Good luck.....I will go for a ton of testing next time I see the doctor. There has to be an answer. Try my night time method...it helps a little....at least I feel ok in the morning..even if it hard to fall asleep.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
(female)

OhDonnaCA HB User

i've had this for about 6 months....the only thing that will stop it is Sudafed Non-Drying Sinus...am constantly clearing my throat & coughing if i dont take it, especially early mornings & after each meal...now none of the stores near me have any in stock!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Ohdonna,

I don't think you have regular allergies. You have the same exact signs and symptoms of a form of acid reflux called "laryngopharyngeal reflux" (LPR). You're coughing, not from allegies, but because a small amount of acid is backflowing to the top of your esophogous and splashing your larynx - which BTW, has no natural protection against acid. Not just any acid, but HCL, which has a pH of 2 to help you dissolve tough meat. You are constantly clearing your throat and coughing to get the acid off the sensitive laryngeal tissue.

This condition mimics asthma, and can actually cause asthma when the acid gets into the throat and then is aspirated back into the lungs. However, you have to treat reflux first. If treated correctly, you can probably stop treating the asthma and allergies. Now I do think that untreated laryngopharyngeal reflux can lead to the worsening of existing allergies, because that same acid gets sucked up into the throat, which then gets spread around the nasal passages, causing erosions. Those erosions make you super-senstive to allergens.

So to treat LPR, you need 2 doses a day of a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). A PPI will reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. Less acid in the stomach = less acid on your larynx. There are 6 or 7 different PPIs and most people with LPR find that Nexium or Aciphex are the most effective. In addition, there is Prilosec BRAND, Prevacid, Protonix and Zegerid. There is also Prilosec OTC, but that's total crap , and only works for the other kind of acid reflux that you know as heartburn.

If you don't believe me, go and do a few searches on the term "laryngopharyngeal reflux" and match up the symptoms. Chronic cough and constant throat clearing are the big ones. Sinusitis-like and asthma-like symptoms are also significant. A lot of people with LPR experience a sensation of having something stuck in their throat, but I never did have that one myself.

For a diagnosis, you need to visit an ENT. The ENT will use a laryngoscope to view your larynx (putting a thin wire with a camera at the end up your nose and down your throat). If your larynx is red and swollen, you have LPR.

Remember - treatment is 2 doses a day of a PPI, not 1. If they give your 1, they don't know what they are doing. Standard treatment for LPR is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS 2 doses a day.

LPR is here to stay - it never goes away. But about 85% of people can successfully manage the condition and control the cough through PPIs. There is also surgery as a last resort. Visit the acid reflux message board and ask the others there what they think. Half the posters have LPR.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #12
(male)

noptical HB User

Does anyone here have bad breath because of that thick mucus/pnd/sinus problems/lpr thingy?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhDonnaCA
i've had this for about 6 months....the only thing that will stop it is Sudafed Non-Drying Sinus...am constantly clearing my throat & coughing if i dont take it, especially early mornings & after each meal...now none of the stores near me have any in stock!

They might have it, but it might be behind the counter now. Lots of places are starting to do that because of the meth problems.

Definitely see an ENT, he can determine whether your problem is alelrgies or this LPR thing. But if sudaphed is helping, I would venture it is allergies.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #14

hovan HB User

yes, I have and it seems to be a common problem from the posting I have read. I have not tried it for this problem, but I used to take a chlorine type pill when dieting. Over the Counter) When you have weight loss you get bad breath from it. Don't know if it would help for this, but it helped with dieting bad breath. It may help.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
(male)

noptical HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovan
yes, I have and it
Is this a reply to my post about bad breath?

Closed Thread