It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

atlallergy HB User
Re: Beef And Pork Allergy

I've just learned my allergic reactions are a result of an allergy to pork and beef. My symptoms are delayed as well, usually occuring about 3:00 am after consuming pork, beef (and lamb too though tests only showed a mild reaction). They include itchy hands/feet, hives, cramping in the lower abs, difficulty breathing, racing heart and sometimes diarrhea. Sometimes it's worse than other times, and if I take Benedryl the symptoms subside after about 30-45 minutes. It has been occuring about every 4-6 weeks for the last 2 years and it took that long for me to decide it was serious enough to go get allergy tested. I kept a diary and couldn't figure out what it was, but every episode involved pork, beef or lamb - never fish or chicken. Just got my allergy test results back today and sure enough - allergic to beef & pork and mildly so to lamb. The ***** tests showed mild reactions, but blood tests showed high reactions.

I want to learn more about the tests to see how they do them. I have read accounts by others with similar symptoms and they are able to eat organic beef without issues. So I wonder if they've had blood tests or just figured it out by process of elimination. Would the blood tests show a reaction if it was somehow related to the antibiotics and hormones fed to cows? Or does the blood test show pure reaction to beef proteins or something else?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
(male)

pscorcoran HB User
Re: I've just learned my allergic reactions are a result of an allergy to pork and beef.

I too am allergic to beef and most recentlyI have added pork to the list. I am 35 years old, healthy and have eaten beef and pork all of my life. In April 05 out of the blue I started reacting severely to beef. After beef consumption and a four to five hour delay, I developed severe hives. I had to go through this two or three times before I figured out that it was beef. I did not see an allergist, my family doctor pointed me that way but he also said "Just don't eat beef." So I do not, and that has worked. I have been able to live with this and have used turkey burger and sausage as substitutes. Just this past week I have started to break out again with mild hives. I have been able to relate this to pork each time. With the pork I am experiencing a seven to eight hour delay before I react and more mild symptons so far. However I am taking Benedryl now immediately at the onset of the hives, so this may be why the symptons are not as bad. I too am curious about steroids or hormones or other chemicals in these meats. I also react with stomache cramps when I consume milk, I wonder if this is related or just a lactose intolerance. I am just starting to research this, your post was my first stop. If you have any additional information to share I would appreciate it greatly. I do not want to be a vegetarian and I am wondering what meat will go next. Thanks for your post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

Diet Dew HB User
Re: I've just learned my allergic reactions are a result of an allergy to pork and beef.

I am allergic to Beef, Milk, Corn, eggs and borderline (whatever that means) wheat, peanuts and oats. What a horrible thing!!! I know what you mean. Try to find something to eat with all those allergies. Did you know that even Chicken cup-o-noodles has beef broth in it??? I have really had to read labels. I had the test where they injected the actual allergin under the skin, about 16 If I remember right. It was June 06. Man, The beef and milk got huge. I was always having delayed reactions and I wondered if it was red meat and milk. I would have never guessed eggs and corn. That floored me. Egg whites are the worst and I had gotten flu shots and ate egg white omlets with tomato and cheese a lot!! I was killing myself. Down throwing up, stomach cramps, diarrhea, sweats, headache, low back ache, low grade fever. This has been going on for over 15yrs. NO DIAG. I am the one who asked the doc to please run allergy tests. He sent me to an allergist. Now I am wondering as you guys which test is the best. After I had the under the skin injections I went home and didn't feel so hot, I went into Anaphylactic Shock and almost died. I will NEVER let them inject me for enviornmental allergies. My brother works in the lab at a huge University in our capitol. He told me the blood test covers more indepth allergies. I am having that checked in Jan. I'm scared what will come up that I have to avoid. It is a huge deal everyday to put ONE thing in my mouth. What a pain, but I don't cheat, if I do I will pay for it by throwing up. That's how bad mine are. I am going to a nutritionist to see if I can get help with more things I can eat after I have the blood test. Wish mne luck!!
i widh there was a shot or a pill to make it better. I know I cross contaminate and prob . eat things that are not listed correctly on the labels, but I do my best and still have had some episodes. I wish you all luck and keep us informed.
Do your research!!! Ask questions!
Good Luck!
Diet Dew

Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Post Re: I've just learned my allergic reactions are a result of an allergy to pork and beef.

Hey there,

I hve just been miserable with allergies (nasal, sore throat, fatigue) and have been treated for depression and anxiety which I think is due to allergies. My doctor has treated the depression and anxiety, but I still have the spacey feelings (anxiety like) and nasal stuff.

Just over a year ago, my doctor said that my cholesterol was high so I cut out Burger King and other fast foods and started eating a lot of chicken. I eat chicken at least 5-6 times per week. I've had lots of stomach pain\cramping issues too during this time. I don't drink milk but on occassion have cheese on a sandwich or in a salad.

Could I be allergic to Chicken? I may eat beef and pork a few times per week.

I was tested in the spring for dust, mold and grasses but that came out negative; however, dust seems to bother me. I am thinking that I need to be tested for food allergies.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 10-29-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

Mag311 HB User

Im am so sorry about your food allergies. I am too allergic to beef and pork. However, I do buy the natural beef at my local grocery store and that has seemed to help A LOT!!!! Also, I am allergic to tomatoes and I buy them at the farmers market and that has helped as well. I think it does have something to do with the hormones and additives. I would try it in a small dose and see if anything happens. Also, I was told by my allergist that if you know there is a night where you are having a big date and you don't want to worry about what you eat...take a clartin 30 mins before and that should help with the symptoms. I wish there was a cure for this. I am trying to eleminate one at a time for 4 years and then re-introduce it in my diet. Sometimes that helps. I know that food allergys are a killer and you will have to start reading labels. One more thing....if they are not that severe and just have slight reactions all that food in moderation seems to be working for me as well.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

garrettsmomNJ HB User
Re: Beef And Pork Allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlallergy View Post
I've just learned my allergic reactions are a result of an allergy to pork and beef. My symptoms are delayed as well, usually occuring about 3:00 am after consuming pork, beef (and lamb too though tests only showed a mild reaction). They include itchy hands/feet, hives, cramping in the lower abs, difficulty breathing, racing heart and sometimes diarrhea. Sometimes it's worse than other times, and if I take Benedryl the symptoms subside after about 30-45 minutes. It has been occuring about every 4-6 weeks for the last 2 years and it took that long for me to decide it was serious enough to go get allergy tested. I kept a diary and couldn't figure out what it was, but every episode involved pork, beef or lamb - never fish or chicken. Just got my allergy test results back today and sure enough - allergic to beef & pork and mildly so to lamb. The **** tests showed mild reactions, but blood tests showed high reactions.

I want to learn more about the tests to see how they do them. I have read accounts by others with similar symptoms and they are able to eat organic beef without issues. So I wonder if they've had blood tests or just figured it out by process of elimination. Would the blood tests show a reaction if it was somehow related to the antibiotics and hormones fed to cows? Or does the blood test show pure reaction to beef proteins or something else?
I also have an allergy to beef an pork which started about 10 years ago. I never used to be allergic, but now I get hives. First it started with beef, then it started with pork. I did have the allergy test (blood). I too, do not know whether it's from the proteins of these meats, or the hormones, steroids, or other additives are to blame. I can tolerate only very small amounts of beef or pork. Maybe a bite or two only. I take allegra, which probably allows me to tolerate a small amount. My husband suggested I somehow get a hold of the steroids or hormones and use them in my own 'at home' skin puncture test. This will at least narrow the allergy down for me. It is very frustrating. Sometimes I just crave a cheeseburger or steak.

Last edited by garrettsmomNJ; 01-25-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Closed Thread