It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

pizzzzza HB User
Sunflower Seed Allergy

HI again everyone,

So has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to Sunflower Seeds?

If yes, what were your symptoms, and what did you do to help deal with it? (besides the obvious answer of avoiding it and/or going to see an allergist and get tested)

My roommate shaved this morning, and his neck is itching like crazy - I looked at the ingredients of the shaving cream, and it has sunflower seed oil in it.

Thanks for any info!

Mark

Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

storm12 HB User
Re: Sunflower Seed Allergy

I just seemed to develop Sunflower seed allergy this past summer. My lips started swelling, and then it felt like my lungs were closing up. I took benedryl and my albuterol inhaler, but still felt terrible for a few hours. I know I should have probably gone to the ER, but I didn't. Since then, my doctor has said not to try eating sunflower seeds again (they were in my vegetarian bean burgers I made for the first time). I am trying to also avoid things with sunflower seed oil, because I had some chips with the oil, and my lips started swelling, but not as badly as with actual seeds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

sunflower65 HB User

I have had an allergy to Sunflower seeds for years -- also to undercooked eggs. Can eat eggs if they are well done. Don't know if they are related. Allergy has almost killed me a couple times. Need to carry an epi pen. I swell up, throat closes and it is really scary. I bought some lipstick that had sunflower oil in it and my lips started burning! That was a new one. I read everything I eat because even breads have the sunflower seeds. I would like to hear any comment especially if there is a connection between the seeds and undercooked eggs. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
(female)

lemurb2 HB User

I am allergic to sunflower oil. Until the food labels changed I felt like I was allergic to everything. My food diary with reactions made no sense. The first time I read a food label that read vegetable oil (corn oil, ......and or sunflower oil) was a turning point for controlling my severe allergy to sunflower. Now I realize if it says vegetable oil, it could be sunflower. If it doesn't specify the exact types of vegetable oil in parenthesis I don't eat it. If the label says food starch or modified food starch it could be sunflower. If it doesn't have the source of the food starch in parenthesis I don't eat it. Sunflower is hidden in a lot of products. Every label must be read. I've found sunflower in very surprising places like pizza sauce at a restaurant, soda's, sports drinks, and protein drinks for body building. The common well known products for sunflower oil are marinated or breaded chicken, fried foods or any chicken at some of the big chain fast food restaurants, frozen fries and other processed potato products, cheese crackers, pretzels, chips (all types), chocolate candy, margarine, some nuts that purposely include oil in processing, breads and bread products like bagels, hot dog and hamburger buns, etc.. Before the food labels changed my throat and tongue were constantly swelling up. It seemed like I couldn't get through a single week without a reaction. In the past year and a half (since the food labels changed) I have only had a couple of reactions (from processed junk food I should not have ate anyway even though it did not declare sunflower). I also have to read labels on lotion, lipstick etc. My allergist suspected sunflower but I thought he was wrong until the food labels changed. I'm not allergic to everything- just sunflower. Life is so much better now that I know what foods to avoid.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

sheila72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurb2 View Post
I am allergic to sunflower oil. Until the food labels changed I felt like I was allergic to everything. My food diary with reactions made no sense. The first time I read a food label that read vegetable oil (corn oil, ......and or sunflower oil) was a turning point for controlling my severe allergy to sunflower. Now I realize if it says vegetable oil, it could be sunflower. If it doesn't specify the exact types of vegetable oil in parenthesis I don't eat it. If the label says food starch or modified food starch it could be sunflower. If it doesn't have the source of the food starch in parenthesis I don't eat it. Sunflower is hidden in a lot of products. Every label must be read. I've found sunflower in very surprising places like pizza sauce at a restaurant, soda's, sports drinks, and protein drinks for body building. The common well known products for sunflower oil are marinated or breaded chicken, fried foods or any chicken at some of the big chain fast food restaurants, frozen fries and other processed potato products, cheese crackers, pretzels, chips (all types), chocolate candy, margarine, some nuts that purposely include oil in processing, breads and bread products like bagels, hot dog and hamburger buns, etc.. Before the food labels changed my throat and tongue were constantly swelling up. It seemed like I couldn't get through a single week without a reaction. In the past year and a half (since the food labels changed) I have only had a couple of reactions (from processed junk food I should not have ate anyway even though it did not declare sunflower). I also have to read labels on lotion, lipstick etc. My allergist suspected sunflower but I thought he was wrong until the food labels changed. I'm not allergic to everything- just sunflower. Life is so much better now that I know what foods to avoid.
Lucky you!! I am allergic to sunflower and many many many other things. I wish it were just one thing

Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
(female)

Sunflower50 HB User

I have the same thing and I didn't make a connection between the two. Thank you for your posting.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
(female)

storm12 HB User

I posted last year, I think, but had to post this, too.

A few months ago, I bought some fruit bars at the grocery store, excited because it said on the box that they were nut-free, gluten-free, and free of many other allergens. It never occurred to me until I ate a few bites and I suddenly started having a reaction and looking popping benedryl that there might actually be sunflower seeds in it. Once I was sure I was breathing okay, I looked at the box, and and indeed sunflowers seeds were a major ingredient. I felt very silly for feeling so trusting about the labeling.

Last edited by storm12; 09-13-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Closed Thread