It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

geekaroid HB User
allergy to rain

Okay, I need help with this one. For twenty some odd years, sometimes if I go out in the rain, I will get a sinus attack and/or infection. This time I am getting over a sinus attack I had two weeks ago. It rained yesterday. I went out. Within a couple of hours, I started dry coughing, sore throat, postnasal drip.... Does anyone have any clues to what specifically is causing this and how to deal with it so I will quit gettting these. I do this once or twice per year, plus the two to three other sinus attacks/infections. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Geekaroid

Last edited by geekaroid; 12-01-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: allergy to rain

I have heard that some molds only come out in the rain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Yes, that was my first thought too. Rain is water, and it would absolutely suck to be allergic to that, we can't live without it!

I suspect that the rain brings out molds to which you have an allergy. Have you been tested?

Old 12-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Or perhaps the change in barometric pressure is causing it.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
(female)

geekaroid HB User

Thanks for the posts.

I am suspecting mold, but the reaction is so immediate (allergic reaction is immediate, but I cannot believe that mold grows in just a few hours that it is raining???)

Years and years ago I tested positive for the big four: dust, animals, weeds, mold and took desense shots for about four or five years. But I was tested again about four years ago with the pricks on the back and tested negative to everything ?????

I am thinking that it is mold, perhaps growing in the humid environment in the car's air system when it rains. ???? Don't remember I was in the car every time, but had to be in someone's car, since I know I was out walking in the rain and don't just walk in the rain for fun around the house.

I am also suspecting then that the sinus flooding discussed in the sticky note is the best bet for me. Although I suffer from Meniere's inner ear disorder and the thought of potentially messing up the middle ear and getting dizzy is enough to scare me away.

I was hoping a few people would happen along to say, "Yes! That happens to me every time it rains and here's exactly why and here's what I do". I does really suck that rain sets me off. My throat is still scratchy from yesterday morning.

Thanks for the input

Geekaroid

Closed Thread